Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What does Bortles need to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If Bortles doesn't perform this season, there's a good chance we're replacing him in the 2018 draft, but what will be need to do to keep his job?

It's probably more simple than a win-loss ratio, but I'd suggest that if we get anything less than seven wins, he will be gone, unless he's somehow performed miracles on the field and been badly let down by the rest of the team.

As for his own performance, would a repeat of 2015 be good enough? He set all sorts of records, but can we continue with him if he continues to turn the ball over at that rate?

And is it too simple to say we want a minimum of x TDs to x interceptions?
Throw more accurate passes. The turnovers will probably always come with him but he needs to make the easy throw. He missed on a lot last year and the receivers need to help him more as well
Quote:And is it too simple to say we want a minimum of x TDs to x interceptions?

No, I don't think that's enough data.  If Bortles drives the team down to the 5 yard line, and 4net runs the ball in that really doesn't rate the TD performance.  If receivers are bouncing the ball on a drop to the opposing defense that doesn't impact his total interceptions.  The truth is that it's your eyes first: Are his mechanics fixed, can he throw a tight accurate spiral to his target, and does he lead his team down the field.  Next you can go to the QB rating, is his passing percentage up, what is his yard per pass, and his personal fumbles.
Bortles actually played well in 3-4 games last year, there were lots of Ganges where the WR and defense blew it.

Also a couple where we were in position to win at the end and just couldn't get it done, not even the great teams win those late 4th quarter drives all the time.

I have faith, I think if WRs drop the balls like last year they will be sat by marrone.

Ivory and KC last year was all on him we lost cause of him fumbling at goal line.
4000 pass yards.

25tds

10ints

8 wins
Quote:4000 pass yards.

25tds

10ints

8 wins

If he puts up those numbers the Jaguars will have more than eight wins.  That is about the average of both Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson their first two years in the league.

2013 Wilson 63.1, 3357, 26, 9, 101.2, Record: 13-3  Super Bowl Champions 

2012 Wilson 64.1, 3118, 26, 10, 100.0, Record: 11-5

2013 Luck 60.2, 3822, 23, 9, 87.0, Record 11-5

2012 Luck 54.1, 4,374, 23, 18, 76.5, Record 11-5

Win a super bowl
Quote:If he puts up those numbers the Jaguars will have more than eight wins. That is about the average of both Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson their first two years in the league.

2013 Wilson 63.1, 3357, 26, 9, 101.2, Record: 13-3 Super Bowl Champions

2012 Wilson 64.1, 3118, 26, 10, 100.0, Record: 11-5

2013 Luck 60.2, 3822, 23, 9, 87.0, Record 11-5

2012 Luck 54.1, 4,374, 23, 18, 76.5, Record 11-5

Even better. I was saying that as at least 8 wins.
I don't give [BLEEP] about mechanics, to be honest. Just play smart football and eliminate the boneheaded mistakes. And...damn...stop all of the whiny girations if you make a bad play. Act like a damn leader. Blow it off and come back next series.
Cmon. This is serious.

He needs to quit hanging his tongue out like a wore out Iditarod malemute.

Then he will at least look better.

That , and less ints , let him play out of the pocket, establish run game.

Stay out of Lemon Bar after 10 pm.
^ I agree. Make good decisions, don't panic and throw the ball away instead of trying to do too much. The whining and crying can probably be due to coddling by Gus Bradley's staff. Any real coach would have put a stop to that the first tome it happened
What does Blake need to do? Three things...

1. Keep his arm fresh and healthy.

2. Stop throwing the stupid INTs

3. Figure out the fade pass. ...it's a killer at the goal line when you can't trust him to throw one.

Do this much and we'll be just fine. I'd also recommend he tuck that tongue in. I keep picturing him outside the pocket with that tongue just hanging out when he gets slammed unexpectedly from a big 'ol DT causing him to bite it off.

Quote:What does Blake need to do? Three things...

Keep his arm fresh and healthy.
Fixating again on one overblown remark from his ROOKIE season.

If he plays over the entire season the way he did the last two games under Marrone, I expect he'll be here another year at least. That version looked just fine and would probably lead us to 9-10 wins. 

He needs to win and gain the confidence of Jacksonville.

He needs to play football.
A lot in my eyes. Fix his mechanics(footwork and motion) so he does not fatigue his arm, decision making needs work, completion percent needs to go up, and ball placement last year was awful. He really is a project, there is no question he is far from what I would consider pro ready, even in year 4.

He needs to be the Garrard of this team, the 25 td a year guy and stay under 10 interceptions. Get his completions over 60% and put his wrs in position to make plays. Let the run game do all the heavy lifting and pick your shots here and there.

Blake will never be the super star qb, or even elite or top 10. He is a middle of the road guy at his peak, which with our defense and assumed improvement in the run game should be enough to win a lot of games over the next few years. All he needs to do is keep getting better and stop turning it over.
I think he's still a franchise QB and capable starter in the league as a product of the right system. Too much of the offense relies on us converting on 3rd and long situations. Bad things tend to happen when facing that all the time. He just has to avoid those untimely interceptions and putting the team in a hole with careless decisions. Throw the ball away more...

I think he's still a franchise QB and capable starter in the league as a product of the right system. Too much of the offense relies on us converting on 3rd and long situations. Bad things tend to happen when facing that all the time. He just has to avoid those untimely interceptions and putting the team in a hole with careless decisions. Throw the ball away more...

Stop throwing like Leftwich
Pages: 1 2 3