Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Orlando approves soccer stadium, close to landing MLS team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is good news for soccer fans in Jax as the closest MLS team currently is in DC. Still a few years away but it will be nice to only have to drive a few hours to see MLS and in a new soccer specific stadium.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...er-stadium

Quote:This is good news for soccer fans in Jax as the closest MLS team currently is in DC. Still a few years away but it will be nice to only have to drive a few hours to see MLS and in a new soccer specific stadium.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...er-stadium
Saw this yesterday, that is good news. I still hold out hope that we can somehow turn the NASL Jax team into an MLS team, or somehow we get a system like in Europe and have a chance to play in the MLS.
Not sure that ever happens here but it would make it interesting. I am still wondering when we will hear more about the Jax NASL team (name, colors, stadium, etc). I follow Frisch on Twitter and he always keeps saying soon.

Isn't Miami trying to get an MLS team as well? David Beckham is pushing for it.

... and we get the crappy soccer league which, from what I understand, is 2 steps below the MLS and the games will be played at UNF ---- is that accurate ?  If so, that's not soccer.  Soccer is watching a seattle sounders game with 22,000 screaming fans waving flags and bouncing around the stands to kill the real boredom of watching a 1-0 soccer game.

Quote:... and we get the crappy soccer league which, from what I understand, is 2 steps below the MLS and the games will be played at UNF ---- is that accurate ?  If so, that's not soccer.  Soccer is watching a seattle sounders game with 22,000 screaming fans waving flags and bouncing around the stands to kill the real boredom of watching a 1-0 soccer game.

Little of what you said is correct.
A soccer specific stadium.....now theres a worthwhile allocation of resources... Rolleyes 

Quote:Isn't Miami trying to get an MLS team as well? David Beckham is pushing for it.
Miami had one. They lost it. Poorly attended.
Quote:... and we get the crappy soccer league which, from what I understand, is 2 steps below the MLS and the games will be played at UNF ---- is that accurate ?  If so, that's not soccer.  Soccer is watching a seattle sounders game with 22,000 screaming fans waving flags and bouncing around the stands to kill the real boredom of watching a 1-0 soccer game.
That is correct, but it's a step. The game site has not yet been determined but UNF is a possibility.

Seattle, Portland, Houston, Philly. Great games to watch on TV. Places go crazy!
Quote:A soccer specific stadium.....now theres a worthwhile allocation of resources... Rolleyes

Allocation of resources by whom?
Quote:That is correct, but it's a step. The game site has not yet been determined but UNF is a possibility.

Seattle, Portland, Houston, Philly. Great games to watch on TV. Places go crazy!

Actually, he's not correct. The NASL is one step below the MLS. It is essentially the "AAA" of American soccer. And while they may play initially at UNF, they are working on getting a soccer stadium built.
Quote:Actually, he's not correct. The NASL is one step below the MLS.
I stand corrected, it is.