Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2013 Jaguars vs. 2008 Detroit Lions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here are the stats:

2008 Detroit Lions:

Point Percentage:  Scored 51% of the amount of the opponents points

offense: 268.3 yards per game (185 passing, 83 rushing), 16.8 pts/g

defense: 404.4 yards per game (232.3 passing, 172.1 rushing), 32.3 pts/g

2013 Jaguars:

Point Percentage:  Scores 34% of the amount of the opponents points

offense: 282.0 yards per game (219 passing, 63 rushing), 10.9 pts/g

defense: 391.4 yards per game (238.1 passing, 153.3 rushing), 31.7 pts/g

So for those asking if they are the worse team in NFL history, at this point, it does appear they are at least worse than the 2008 0-16 Detroit Lions. 

The yards are deceptive in our favor because there is a lot more garbage time for the Jags since we are not even close to being competitive.  You can see that by the Point differential.

I'd love to see the 1st half stats comparison.

The 2008 Lions would beat this squad, I have no doubt about that.

That Lions team actually almost won a couple games in the beginning of the season... we have never been close

The 2013 Jaguars haven't reached the point in which 4 different QB's started games.     Including Daunte Culpepper,   who was signed a few days before the Lions game against the Jaguars.     The 2008 Lions were competitive in a number of games and a bad officiating call probably cost the Lions Game # 5 in Minnesota.   Yet,    it's hard to imagine the Jaguars having a worse performance than the ones the Lions had at Ford Field against Tennessee on Thanksgiving Day and New Orleans.       The Saints game,  which was Game # 15,   likely won anyone who used Drew Brees in Fantasy Football,   a FF Championship.        The Lions literally couldn't stop the Saints Offense that afternoon.      
Quote:The 2013 Jaguars haven't reached the point in which 4 different QB's started games.     Including Daunte Culpepper,   who was signed a few days before the Lions game against the Jaguars.     The 2008 Lions were competitive in a number of games and a bad officiating call probably cost the Lions Game # 5 in Minnesota.   Yet,    it's hard to imagine the Jaguars having a worse performance than the ones the Lions had at Ford Field against Tennessee on Thanksgiving Day and New Orleans.       The Saints game,  which was Game # 15,   likely won anyone who used Drew Brees in Fantasy Football,   a FF Championship.        The Lions literally couldn't stop the Saints Offense that afternoon.

Hey now give it some time D6... I have faith we will see Stanzi by seasons end although probably not Matt Scott.
One correction in what I wrote a few minutes ago.     ' Only'  3 QB's actually started games for the Lions in 2008.     However,   a 4th QTR,   Drew Stanton,   saw action in 3 games.       Other than the Pro Bowl caliber overall performances that Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson provided the Lions that season,     it was beyond ugly with very few exceptions.

Quote:One correction in what I wrote a few minutes ago.     ' Only'  3 QB's actually started games for the Lions in 2008.     However,   a 4th QTR,   Drew Stanton,   saw action in 3 games.       Other than the Pro Bowl caliber overall performances that Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson provided the Lions that season,     it was beyond ugly with very few exceptions.

Blackmon = Johnson

Anger = Hanson

I'm starting to see it (I shouldnt have to say this but I'm not saying above for mentioned players are better than Johnson, Hanson)
Quote:Hey now give it some time D6... I have faith we will see Stanzi by seasons end although probably not Matt Scott.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ricky Stanzi starts one or more games in that not too distant future for the Jaguars.     

While I hope it doesn't get to this point for the Jaguars,   if injuries pile up at QB,    a player at that position who has yet to have a practice rep with the team,   could realistically end up starting a game for the team.

Because the Jaguars have a favorable 2nd half of the season schedule,   for the Jaguars to go 0-16,     they might have to actually be worse than the 2008 Lions to get to that point.         My gut feeling at this time is the Jaguars will win at least 2 games,   in large part because of the schedule and the young players on the team getting better as the season goes along.      Providing,   Justin Blackmon stays focused off the field.
While I think this thread is a bit early, the OP got a "like" for thinking of it first.

I guess it was inevitable.

Quote:Blackmon = Johnson

Anger = Hanson

I'm starting to see it (I shouldnt have to say this but I'm not saying above for mentioned players are better than Johnson, Hanson)

One of the hardest parts of the 2008 season for me was watching all of the great performances by Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson being wasted.     With Hanson,   this was the case throughout most of the last decade.     He had a HOF caliber career but never was never on a team that won a playoff game.       As disappointing as the last few seasons were for the Jaguars,   at least MJD was on a playoff game winning team back in the 2007 season.
Quote:One of the hardest parts of the 2008 season for me was watching all of the great performances by Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson being wasted.     With Hanson,   this was the case throughout most of the last decade.     He had a HOF caliber career but never was never on a team that won a playoff game.       As disappointing as the last few seasons were for the Jaguars,   at least MJD was on a playoff game winning team back in the 2007 season.

Yeah I'd imagine this is a frustrating season to be a lions fan? I've always respected your opinion D6 so im curious as to what you think Blackmon's ceiling is? Provided he stays focused.
The  2013 Jaguars could beat the '08 Lions.  They wouldn't, however.  They, instead, would:

-allow Detroit to convert on third and three miles multiple times 

-throw 3 INTs  - 2 from tipped passes

-extend 2 of Detroit's scoring drives with tainting penalties when they had the punter ready to go

-lose a challenge that would give them the ball due to a geriatric referee forgetting to take his meds
Quote:Yeah I'd imagine this is a frustrating season to be a lions fan? I've always respected your opinion D6 so im curious as to what you think Blackmon's ceiling is? Provided he stays focused.

Thank you,   ObjectiveJag fan.

The 2008 season was clearly the worst season I've ever experienced as a fan but there have been many very difficult moments as a Lions fan in the 44 seasons I've rooted for the team.      Having said that,    I appreciate all of the wins and great individual performances.       

As for Justin Blackmon,     the player who comes to mind when thinking of his ceiling is another former Oklahoma St.  player,    Dez Bryant.
I'm still calling Jags win a meaningless game in Indy on week 17 to finish 1-15, leaving Detroit alone at 0-16 from a few years back.
Quote:Thank you,   ObjectiveJag fan.

The 2008 season was clearly the worst season I've ever experienced as a fan but there have been many very difficult moments as a Lions fan in the 44 seasons I've rooted for the team.      Having said that,    I appreciate all of the wins and great individual performances.       

As for Justin Blackmon,     the player who comes to mind when thinking of his ceiling is another former Oklahoma St.  player,    Dez Bryant.

Blackmon is better than Dez Bryant. 

Dez often disappears in games as he did a few weeks ago, with his 4/ 22/ 0 stat line. 

Last season he had a 1/ 15/0 , a 2/ 14/ 0  and a 3/ 22/ 0 stat lines. 

Quote:Blackmon is better than Dez Bryant. 

Dez often disappears in games as he did a few weeks ago, with his 4/ 22/ 0 stat line. 

Last season he had a 1/ 15/0 , a 2/ 14/ 0  and a 3/ 22/ 0 stat lines. 

Does Justin Blackmon have an extensive enough body of work to conclude that he's already better than Dez Bryant?       
Quote:Does Justin Blackmon have an extensive enough body of work to conclude that he's already better than Dez Bryant?       

I'm just going off of what I see. 

Last season when Bryant had those duds was his 3rd NFL season. Blackmon in year 2 already looks more consistent and just as prone to the huge game as evidenced in Denver. 
Quote:I'm just going off of what I see. 

Last season when Bryant had those duds was his 3rd NFL season. Blackmon in year 2 already looks more consistent and just as prone to the huge game as evidenced in Denver. 

One thing that should be considered is what transpired in the games that Dez Bryant had very ordinary stats.      Some of the questions that come to mind would be as follows:

1)    What % of those games did the Cowboys win?

2)    Was Dez Bryant relatively healthy those days?

3)    How was Tony Romo's protection in those games?

4)    Did other skill players take advantage of favorable matchups because of heavy concentration on Bryant?

I don't know the answer to these questions,   as I'm not even sure which games Bryant had these far less than stellar numbers.       W/o knowing the answers,   it's hard to conclude whether Bryant performed well in those games.
Quote:Yeah as of now, but the Bucs have played one less game and have looked more competitive than us in all their games. The Bucs and the Giants also play each other, so we are still the favorites no matter what the standings right now look like.

Quote:One thing that should be considered is what transpired in the games that Dez Bryant had very ordinary stats. Some of the questions that come to mind would be as follows:

1) What % of those games did the Cowboys win?

2) Was Dez Bryant relatively healthy those days?

3) How was Tony Romo's protection in those games?

4) Did other skill players take advantage of favorable matchups because of heavy concentration on Bryant?

I don't know the answer to these questions, as I'm not even sure which games Bryant had these far less than stellar numbers. W/o knowing the answers, it's hard to conclude whether Bryant performed well in those games.

While I agree with your premise D6 let's answer those questions from Blackmon's prospective.

1. 2

2. Not injured but certainly not conditioned to play in a lot of his games during his rookie year

3. Gabbert/Henne's protection was less than adequate

4. Shorts didn't start a game till made way through season

Plus when you compare Promo throwing the ball to Gabbert/Henne its just laughable.
Pages: 1 2