Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PS4 or Xbox One ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone ordering the PS4 or Xbox One ?  My son has the Xbox w/ Kinect but was thinking about going to PS4 this time around.   Any thoughts about the PS4 or Xbox One ?  He's more into the sports side of gaming (NBA & FIFA) where he can act as the GM and manage salaries and player transactions.

Looks like the preorder for the various games are about equal....

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251359/p...ns-ground/

I'm thinkin of getting my dad a ps4 or htpc on launch, I'll put his dvds on the hdd for him.  I'll buy one of the two or both maybe next year or after a price drop for myself, when the libraries for both don't look so horrible.    

I'm not ordering either, waiting for a price drop. Thinking of getting a WiiU for my daughters though.  But it still seems like such a waste.  

Xbox One is more like a media hub for your television, while PS4 is more of a pure gaming system.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  Ultimately I think PS4 may be more successful due to it's lower price point and a few of Sony's first person titles.  How they vamp their online service however will be key to getting customers to switch.  Though Microsoft sort of kicked puppies when they originally came out with their DRM plan (which they eventually relented on).

I won't be in any rush to purchase it, but I will probably go with the PS4. There isn't any technical or fanboy(girl) reason. It's just that I had the XBOX 360 exclusively, and since this was such a LOOOOONG time in between consoles, I feel obligated to go Sony this time around. Just for a change. 

I'm not preordering either, nor am I getting either upon launch, but I'm definitely in favor of the PS4. The PS4 is cheaper, and is technically more powerful in many ways. Add to that the fact that I'm heavily against DRM and the stunts Microsoft pulled didn't exactly sit well with me. I appreciate their apparent change of heart because competition is good, but that doesn't mean that I'm ready to give them more money for a technically less powerful machine especially considering none of their exclusives interest me.

Keeping the Xbox due to gamerscore and the fact they just announced that they will be allowing One and PC cross play. Genius move.

I was kinda excited about the new consoles when announced earlier this year but that fizzled out. Not going to purchase either of them right away. I'll save my money for now. I'm hoping that xbox will sell the one without the kinetic after some time passes. Have the kinect for the 360 and it was a waste of money for me. Maybe not if you have small kids but I don't have any.
Quote:Keeping the Xbox due to gamerscore and the fact they just announced that they will be allowing One and PC cross play. Genius move.

Decent idea for anything not FPS
Quote:Decent idea for anything not FPS

There are very few games/genres that work equally well with k/m and controller based control systems. Even a marginally okay FPS played would destroy the best controller based FPS players. Racing games are skewed in favor of the controller (WASD is too linear for racing games). RTS games are practically unplayable using a controller. Sports games are better on controller. MMOs are (generally) better on k/m because of the number of keybinds, fighting games suck on both typically, MOBAs are better on PC. Action games are pretty comparable, I suppose. The only thing that kind of evens it out is that PC players can very easily use a controller.
Quote:There are very few games/genres that work equally well with k/m and controller based control systems. Even a marginally okay FPS played would destroy the best controller based FPS players. Racing games are skewed in favor of the controller (WASD is too linear for racing games). RTS games are practically unplayable using a controller. Sports games are better on controller. MMOs are (generally) better on k/m because of the number of keybinds, fighting games suck on both typically, MOBAs are better on PC. Action games are pretty comparable, I suppose. The only thing that kind of evens it out is that PC players can very easily use a controller.

Yeah thats why I was thinking anything but fps, you're at a clear disadvantage unless the games forces some lame measures to even it out, but pretty much every other game the difference would be negligible.  Minus RTS of course but then again they would have to make console rts games (ugh halo wars) and nobody wants that lol.  I think a moba (my new fav genre) could work (maybe something like smite) for cross platform.     
Quote:Yeah thats why I was thinking anything but fps, you're at a clear disadvantage unless the games forces some lame measures to even it out, but pretty much every other game the difference would be negligible.  Minus RTS of course but then again they would have to make console rts games (ugh halo wars) and nobody wants that lol.  I think a moba (my new fav genre) could work (maybe something like smite) for cross platform.     
It's technically possible to use a keyboard on a console as well, just less practical and massively underutilized and supported. RTS is terrible on console. I could see SMITE working because of it's third-person perspective, but something like LoL would be significantly harder to play on a console and the "community" is already less than kind to players that don't execute everything perfectly.

I just don't see console/PC crossplatform being favorable to the console players in most instances. I'm not against the idea, I just don't see it as game changing as, say, XBOX/PS4 crossplatform.

Also, for the sake of fairness, I feel as though I should point out that SONY has done (or rather allowed) crossplatform multiplayer in the past. Portal 2 is the one that comes to mind. I know that it is in very limited cases but it has been done.

Also as someone who plays on PC and console, I'm incredibly excited that the PS4 controller will work on PC at launch!

EDIT

Oh, and the pompous attitude of those who are the "PC master race" won't make cross platforming enjoyable in a lot of instances. You think the 12 year old kid talking about your mother is annoying? Wait until you have the "PC master race" snorting at you and your status as a "console peasant." That'll be fun.

All the COD console kiddies mic'd up on a LoL raging from their couch while all the master race bronze v "professionals" QQ about how they're only losing because of the console kiddies, might be enough for me to quit LoL after 3 years.   

Quote:All the COD console kiddies mic'd up on a LoL raging from their couch while all the master race bronze v "professionals" QQ about how they're only losing because of the console kiddies, might be enough for me to quit LoL after 3 years.   

Ah, but it'd spread beyond LoL. It'd be in almost every game. Think about that for a second. There is a reason I play very little multiplayer as is. I don't think I'd ever touch multiplayer again.
I like MP for the reason I get to talk mad to a bunch of terrible kids.

PS4, but I won't be buying one until it's been out for a few months. I won't be getting an Xbone though, Microsoft's DRM policies were so horrendous I refuse to buy one out of principle.

easily the ps4, ps beats xbox everytime

Getting the PS4, but not on launch. Backlog is crazy big. 

I didn't get my PS3 until 3 1/2 years or so after the launch. I'll probably do the same with the PS4.