Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Realistic Expectations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Given that this team is in New construction mode and we now sits at 0-7 I have come to some rather striking conclusions that I thought everyone should be aware of. Some of us had foreseen the coming storm, they knew what ugliness lied ahead. Others however continue to remain ignorant:

This is not our year, it never was.

Too much turnover not enough pieces.

Being upset that the team is losing is like being a 25 year old male who is short and knows they'll never have a growth spurt. Sorry bud what's to be mad about?

Blaine Gabbert sucks. Henne sucks. Stanzi likely offers no significant level of improvement.

Watch games to see development. Expectations should be based on how they develop. Wins simply mean the team over achieved or got lucky.

Speaking of which...at 7 games in the hole and another lost coming up in London does anyone truly want to win?
Quote:Speaking of which...at 7 games in the hole and another lost coming up in London does anyone truly want to win?

Apparently just short 25 year old males. 
I'm hoping we end up 4-12 so we can give up first round picks the next 2 years to draft Teddy.   After all, those meaningless wins are the key to building a culture of "winning".

Quote:Given that this team is in New construction mode and we now sits at 0-7 I have come to some rather striking conclusions that I thought everyone should be aware of. Some of us had foreseen the coming storm, they knew what ugliness lied ahead. Others however continue to remain ignorant:

Being upset that the team is losing is like being a 25 year old male who is short and knows they'll never have a growth spurt. Sorry bud what's to be mad about?

Blaine Gabbert sucks. Henne sucks. Stanzi likely offers no significant level of improvement.

Watch games to see development. Expectations should be based on how they develop. Wins simply mean the team over achieved or got lucky.

Speaking of which...at 7 games in the hole and another lost coming up in London does anyone truly want to win?

There in lies the issue. Has this team really improved at all from the first game until now?
Quote:There in lies the issue. Has this team really improved at all from the first game until now?
Not really.  Defense has gotten worse.  Denard Robinson has done nothing, Ace Sanders has flashed but nothing special, Luke Joeckel is on IR, Cyprien is physical but needs the reps, Evans has looked decent at times. 

MJD is old/slow, Marcedes Lewis is the NFL's most overpaid player, Babin is worthless, Branch should have been cut.  This team is at least 3 drafts away from being a wildcard team, much less moving into "elite" category. 

Lots of bad contracts still have to be unloaded (Poz, Lewis, Mincey). 

On a positive note, the WR's have been adequate, even good at times.
Quote:There in lies the issue. Has this team really improved at all from the first game until now?
I'd like to say yes, but I'm afraid then you'll ask where...........
Denard got 10 yards today. :thumbsup:
No matter who our offensive coordinator is, we will never stop running up the middle on 2nd and 10 immediately following an incompletion. In general, we still have a very conservative schematic approach. Eventually we have to realize the season is over and try some different things out, right? Our current methods aren't working (or even coming close), yet we refuse to change it up. I want the number 1 pick, but I want to see us compete in a few games.
vs 49ers - No chance

@ TENN - No chance (considering its away and the Titans have way more talent at every position than us)

vs AZ - I see this being our only win of the season.

@ Texans - Defense way too good. Will destroy our line and whoever is QB. Also run the ball well which is a weakness for us.

@ Browns - They have a top 5 defense, and another scary good front 7. O-line wont let the offense to function.

vs Texans - even at home theres no way we win

vs Bills - This is a 50-50 to me, the bills suck. EJ manuel will be almost as bad as Gabbert. I still think we find a way to lose.

vs Titans - I see a small chance here bit still not likely

@ Colts- They will probably be fighting for a bye week, so we'll get blown out.

That puts us at 1-15 and in prime position to select Teddy  :thumbsup:

I have a feeling Dave is going to spend a decent amount in FA this offseason. We will be more than 50M under the cap, and with the new CBA we will be forced to spend. We dont realiy have any of our own players that will get a big extension, so I can see a bunch of front loaded 3 year contracts being dealt out. That will let those contracts come off the books when its time to re-sign Caldwells own picks.

With Teddy, another strong draft class, and some smart FA signings (A quality OG, C and LEO could all be had for ~15M per year) I think this team could realistically compete for the playoffs next year.
I can see the Titans game at home, Ari. game, and the Bills game that we have a shot in.

Quote:vs 49ers - No chance

@ TENN - No chance (considering its away and the Titans have way more talent at every position than us)

vs AZ - I see this being our only win of the season.

@ Texans - Defense way too good. Will destroy our line and whoever is QB. Also run the ball well which is a weakness for us.

@ Browns - They have a top 5 defense, and another scary good front 7. O-line wont let the offense to function.

vs Texans - even at home theres no way we win

vs Bills - This is a 50-50 to me, the bills suck. EJ manuel will be almost as bad as Gabbert. I still think we find a way to lose.

vs Titans - I see a small chance here bit still not likely

@ Colts- They will probably be fighting for a bye week, so we'll get blown out.

That puts us at 1-15 and in prime position to select Teddy  :thumbsup:

I have a feeling Dave is going to spend a decent amount in FA this offseason. We will be more than 50M under the cap, and with the new CBA we will be forced to spend. We dont realiy have any of our own players that will get a big extension, so I can see a bunch of front loaded 3 year contracts being dealt out. That will let those contracts come off the books when its time to re-sign Caldwells own picks.

With Teddy, another strong draft class, and some smart FA signings (A quality OG, C and LEO could all be had for ~15M per year) I think this team could realistically compete for the playoffs next year.
The league has become so QB centric, that after watching the Colts go from Manning to Luck, i'm all for losing.  I hope the Jags lose and lose until an obvious franchise QB is in the draft.  This is what the league has created but guessing from the points and rules against playing defense, it's what the league wants.  The league has gone so far that now teams without a QB should want to lose, teams wanting to lose that's what the NFL has given us.
Quote: 

The Bills are 3-4. They just won at Miami with Thaddeus Lewis at QB. They do not "suck". Also, EJ Manuel has was on pace for around 4000 yards and 20+ TDs when he got injured, he is no where near as bad as Gabbert.
Quote:Denard got 10 yards today. :thumbsup:

I love the strategy that they use with Robinson.  He has a pretty good run of 10 yards, then they never give him the ball again.  Genius. 
Quote:I love the strategy that they use with Robinson. He has a pretty good run of 10 yards, then they never give him the ball again. Genius.

Yeah what was up with that? I thought Caldwell said he'd get about 10 snaps a game. He gets 1...
Quote:Yeah what was up with that? I thought Caldwell said he'd get about 10 snaps a game. He gets 1...

If you round that up to the nearest 10, you get 10.  Math.

Quote:Yeah what was up with that? I thought Caldwell said he'd get about 10 snaps a game. He gets 1...

They abandoned the run because we were down.

Duh. 

According to John O, I guess he just isn't quite ready enough.  Which I call a complete cop out.  Let the kid get some snaps for once. 
Quote:According to John O, I guess he just isn't quite ready enough.  Which I call a complete cop out.  Let the kid get some snaps for once. 
He played QB his whole life. It is going to take him longer than 7 games to figure it out.
You don't give a guy with ball security issues repeated carries when you are trailing the game

I reckon two runs next week and keep increasing

I personally want to see a bit more of forsett out the backfield he is very quick
Quote:Given that this team is in New construction mode and we now sits at 0-7 I have come to some rather striking conclusions that I thought everyone should be aware of. Some of us had foreseen the coming storm, they knew what ugliness lied ahead. Others however continue to remain ignorant:

Ok, so you saw the future and knew at this point they would be 0-7 and had'nt scored a touchdown at home to this point of the season and anybody else is ignorant?
Pages: 1 2