Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Isohunt.com shuts down, agrees to "pay" $110 million
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Link

From the article:

Of course, IsoHunt won't pay $110 million. In court recently, even the MPAA's lawyers admitted that IsoHunt would be dead if the court awarded as little as $2 million. But, the MPAA wants that bogus $110 million number to throw around, just as they wanted to toss around the $105 million that Limewire settled for a couple years ago.

Um, yeah.
Quote:Um, yeah.

I been holding my breath waiting for this ruling!! :blink:

Ummm......any one care to tell me what a isohunt is? :whistling:
Quote:Ummm......any one care to tell me what a isohunt is? :whistling:

It's a search engine for finding BittTorrent files. It's been in a copyright lawsuit with the MPAA for the past 7 years. It's essentially a Google for BT files because indexes and links to BT files but doesn't actually hosts any files itself, at least none that infringe copyright. What makes this especially important is that the ruling and settlement lends credence to the MPAA standpoint which would actually allow them to sue anyone linking to copyrighted material even if they have never hosted anything before. This includes me, you and any other consumer but also companies like Google or Yahoo who operate search engines that can be used for finding copyrighted material.

Of course, the MPAA would never sue Google because they'd never even hope to win that fight. They're perfectly fine suing and extorting money from people who have no means of reasonably defending themselves. It's calssic shoolyard bully tactics, pick on the kids that can't put up a fight but be nice to the bigger kids and the teachers.
Quote:It's a search engine for finding BittTorrent files. It's been in a copyright lawsuit with the MPAA for the past 7 years. It's essentially a Google for BT files because indexes and links to BT files but doesn't actually hosts any files itself, at least none that infringe copyright. What makes this especially important is that the ruling and settlement lends credence to the MPAA standpoint which would actually allow them to sue anyone linking to copyrighted material even if they have never hosted anything before. This includes me, you and any other consumer but also companies like Google or Yahoo who operate search engines that can be used for finding copyrighted material.

Of course, the MPAA would never sue Google because they'd never even hope to win that fight. They're perfectly fine suing and extorting money from people who have no means of reasonably defending themselves. It's calssic shoolyard bully tactics, pick on the kids that can't put up a fight but be nice to the bigger kids and the teachers.

Ahh, I got it now...thanks!
Quote:It's a search engine for finding BittTorrent files. It's been in a copyright lawsuit with the MPAA for the past 7 years. It's essentially a Google for BT files because indexes and links to BT files but doesn't actually hosts any files itself, at least none that infringe copyright. What makes this especially important is that the ruling and settlement lends credence to the MPAA standpoint which would actually allow them to sue anyone linking to copyrighted material even if they have never hosted anything before. This includes me, you and any other consumer but also companies like Google or Yahoo who operate search engines that can be used for finding copyrighted material.

Funny thing is you'll get more, and better results using Google or Yahoo than you ever would for isohunt.  MPAA is a joke anyways.