Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Psa: Windows 8.1 Free For Windows 8 Users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can go here to learn more and click the "get the free update" button to be directed to the Windows Store download of it. Alternatively you can go straight to the Windows Store and it should be available through there. It is free for anyone who has non-enterprise versions of Windows 8. As with any major software update, you should backup your data beforehand.

I'm in the process of updating my laptop now, I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I run into any software compatibility issues.

Warning: it takes awhile...

A few of the Microsoft (corporate) employees were at my job last week handing out some of the Surface RT 8 to try for a 3-6 month period. One of the ladies I work with who owns an iPad2 gave it away to me, and asked one of the Microsoft execs can she buy one of the RT's outright, the exec said "NO! you can have this one, just spread the rainbow baby!".

I played around with it and was pretty impressed with the fluidity and the layout. I cant wait to go to the Microsoft Store at the Town Center when it opens up and try out the updated versions of the RT, the Surface 2, and the Surface pro2. 

For my job I still would like the preference of a traditional Notebook PC. I am taking a look at a HP Touchsmart  that has both the touch and keypad functionality, but still keeping the Surface Tablets in the back of my mind since they come with USB ports now.
I've done the update on two different computers so far and haven't run into any issues with compatibility but neither one has any non-mainstream software on it.

I'm a web developer and run all kinds of crap. Love the 8.1 update. Didn't really need a start button but whatever.

Surface 2 launches next weekl. Count me in!

Quote:I'm a web developer and run all kinds of crap. Love the 8.1 update. Didn't really need a start button but whatever.

Surface 2 launches next weekl. Count me in!

Fellow web dev here! Still in school and I'm not making any money off it yet, but I started learning HTML on my own 7 years ago and have since grown to know (at least in some capacity) HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP. I was happy to see that the metro apps can be run on multiple monitors now and the 50-50 split is awesome. The start button is meh, I use the windows key to do the same thing and it's faster.

I can't afford a tablet atm, but the Surface 2 looks nice Smile