Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gatlinburg under evacuation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They're evacuating Gatlinburg due to wildfires. It's been terrible for over a month, doesn't help we've gotten about 30 min worth of rain the past month and a half. The videos look like the ones you see of the California wildfires. We used to get smoke during the summer in Tampa, but it's been looking like 1970 LA smog out here.

Luckily Bristol (where I am) is away from the major ones, but they're still all around. We have a huge storm coming through tonight and lasting about 2 days to hopefully knock these down.

Horrible part is there were 53 fires and 41 were arson related. I'm sure there are more fires now due to the dry conditions, that was a few weeks ago.
Oh man stay safe I was just up there in may. Such a beautiful area.
A big front full of rain came through last night.   I saw predictions of up to an inch of rain.   That should help a lot. 

http://myfox8.com/2016/11/28/fires-force...ses-roads/

This rain should be helping a lot.
The pictures are horrible. It'll be a few years before they can get it all rebuilt.

I'm convinced there is no safe place in the world to avoid natural disasters.  

Quote:Oh man stay safe I was just up there in may. Such a beautiful area.

I was there in March, and planning to go back this coming March.

Beautiful area being destroyed. Hope everyone is okay down there.
Reports are that the rain hasn't helped much at all. There are some rumors that they may let Gatlinburg burn to the ground in order to save Pigeon Forge.

Many resorts are gone, a cabin rental lost every cabin, Ober Gatlinburg has conflicting reports that it's been completely destroyed but some say it's still hanging on.

Seems like every hour we're getting updates of another thing destroyed. It's at the back door of Dollywood.
Hopefully everyone will be safe, there were reports of people trapped in a hotel. We had wildfires within 1/4 mile of our property but thankfully did not get too near. Our property is over 50% forest, with a lot of evergreens and deadwood, which light up like torches.

This will devastate the local economy in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, they rely heavily on tourism.

The view from my deck last Wednesday:

[Image: 15267990_10157721982940167_8822749934353...e=58BFAC67]

Quote:Hopefully everyone will be safe, there were reports of people trapped in a hotel. We had wildfires within 1/4 mile of our property but thankfully did not get too near. Our property is over 50% forest, with a lot of evergreens and deadwood, which light up like torches.

This will devastate the local economy in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, they rely heavily on tourism.

A friend of mine who was going to Gatlinburg in a month or so found out last night the cabin they were renting has burned to the ground. The pictures are so sad. At least one of the fires in the NC area has been 100% contained by the rain that came through last night. Hopefully the front coming through will help with the rest. I know the firefighters and first responders are exhausted. 

Rollerjag you stay safe, brother. 
Quote:Hopefully everyone will be safe, there were reports of people trapped in a hotel. We had wildfires within 1/4 mile of our property but thankfully did not get too near. Our property is over 50% forest, with a lot of evergreens and deadwood, which light up like torches.

Glad to hear that you and your property are safe.
Looking at the latest reports, it's not good for the folks in Tennessee.  Gatlinburg took a huge hit.

We own our timeshare at the Westgate in Gatlinburg they sent out a notice that it's pretty much burned to the ground. There's videos online the cabin we stayed in towards the middle of the mountain the whole area is on fire. So sad it was my favorite place to vacation in the world. Doesn't look like we will be making our annual trip to Gatliburg this summer. 

Quote:We own our timeshare at the Westgate in Gatlinburg they sent out a notice that it's pretty much burned to the ground. There's videos online the cabin we stayed in towards the middle of the mountain the whole area is on fire. So sad it was my favorite place to vacation in the world. Doesn't look like we will be making our annual trip to Gatliburg this summer.

Yeah unfortunately it appears most of Westgate is gone.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.google.com/amp/wate.com/2016/11/29/video-westgate-resort-destroyed-by-gatlinburg-fires/amp/?client=ms-android-google'>https://www.google.com/amp/wate.com/2016/11/29/video-westgate-resort-destroyed-by-gatlinburg-fires/amp/?client=ms-android-google</a>