Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Best Corner Back Unit in the League?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Breakdown:

Primary focus

After poaching A.J. Bouye from the Houston Texans in free agency, the Jacksonville Jaguars cornerbacks are in star-studded company entering 2017.

Paired with Jalen Ramsey, who’s coming off an impressive rookie season, the Jaguars now have a cornerback tandem that ranked as one of the league’s best, based off PFF’s 2016 grades.

Both Bouye and Ramsey finished 2016 among the top ten corners in pass breakups with 11 and 10, respectively.

An edge this Jaguars tandem has is youth is in their favor. They are the youngest corner duo of the top three tandems as Bouye turns 26 before the 2017 season, while Ramsey will be turning 23 this October.

While the Jaguars could go almost any which way with the No.4 pick on Thursday, it’s safe to say that cornerback is a position they will not need to address.

Aaron Colvin stat line:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/aaron-colvin-player-stats'>http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/aaron-colvin-player-stats</a>

Although he dropped off last year that would seem to be due to his suspension and being made the slot corner instead of starting. 2015 was a fantastic year for him.

Jalen Myrick:

Myrick recorded a 4.28-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, the fastest recorded time ever for a Big Ten player. He had five career interceptions for the Gophers, returning two for touchdowns and also had success returning kickoffs.

We just got extremely fast in the secondary with this player. Intriguing player with tremendous upside. Could he be our Sam Sheilds?

This group looks to be the best group in the NFL with to legit lop 10 shut down corners, one of the better slot CBS in the league and a promising player that may pay dividends sooner rather than later.

References:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cornerbacks-should-be-cornerstone-for-the-jaguars-defense/'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cornerbacks-should-be-cornerstone-for-the-jaguars-defense/</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/aaron-colvin-player-stats'>http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/aaron-colvin-player-stats</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/29/jaguars-draft-jalen-myrick/amp/'>https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/29/jaguars-draft-jalen-myrick/amp/</a>
Thank you for including references, but could you please format them next time? MLA is preferred 

Quote:Thank you for including references, but could you please format them next time? MLA is preferred

No problem professor
Quote:Thank you for including references, but could you please format them next time? MLA is preferred
Uhhh I prefer iambic pentameter...
At this point I'm predicting the CB depth chart to look like...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">RCB: Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Colvin

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LCB: AJ Bouye, Josh Johnson

<p style="margin-left:40px;">nickel: Aaron Colvin, Jalen Myrick

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Practice Squad: Jeremy Cutrer and Tracy Howard

<p style="margin-left:80px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">waived: Ezra Robinson, Akeem Davis and Doran Grant

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">note: If they keep Myrick as a 6th CB being mainly a ST guy, then Akeem Davis makes it as the backup RCB.

BTW...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Can Myrick blitz?

Quote:BTW...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Can Myrick blitz?

Ed Reed style I hope
It should be interesting when Seattle comes to visit on December 10th.  Seattle took Shaquille Griffin out of Central Florida in the 3rd round to play opposite Sherman.  Then they took three more DB's.  This was a ridiculously deep draft for defensive backs.  How did Myrick last until the 7th round?

Quote:It should be interesting when Seattle comes to visit on December 10th.  Seattle took Shaquille Griffin out of Central Florida in the 3rd round to play opposite Sherman.  Then they took three more DB's.  This was a ridiculously deep draft for defensive backs.  How did Myrick last until the 7th round?

I recall looking for Griffin's name in round five only to discover the Seahawks already drafted him two rounds earlier.

Myrick was pegged to be a 7th round pick before he ran the 4.28.... we all moved him up the boards, but apparently the teams didn't. He's not exactly raw, but let's just say he has plenty of room to improve.

Quote:I recall looking for Griffin's name in round five only to discover the Seahawks already drafted him two rounds earlier.

Myrick was pegged to be a 7th round pick before he ran the 4.28.... we all moved him up the boards, but apparently the teams didn't. He's not exactly raw, but let's just say he has plenty of room to improve.

Yeah Seattle was very high on him from the start.  They don't blow a lot of smoke before the draft like other franchises.  According to Walter Football, these are the players they met with before the draft.  Notice that two of the players they had for private workouts were drafted.

• Isaac Asiata, G/C, Utah (SR)
  • Antony Auclair, TE, Laval (EW)
  • Budda Baker, S, Washington (COM)
  • Zach Banner, G/OT, USC (COM)
  • Johnathan Calvin, DE, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Adrian Colbert, SS, Miami (PRI)
  • Xavier Coleman, CB, Portland State (LOC)
  • Dalton Crossan, RB, New Hampshire (PRI)
  • Casey DeAndrade, FS, New Hampshire (WOR)
  • Shaquil Griffin, CB, Central Florida (PRI)
  • David Jones^, FS, Richmond (PRI, PRO)
  • Javancy Jones, OLB, Jackson State (EW)
  • Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (PRI)
  • Shalom Luani, SS, Washington State (COM)
  • Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (PRI)
  • Obi Melifonwu^, S, Connecticut (COM, PRI, PRO)
  • Johnny Mundt, TE, Oregon (WOR)
  • Carroll Phillips, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Illinois (SR)
  • Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State (PRI)
  • Damore'ea Stringefellow, WR, Ole Miss (PRI)
  • Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson (COM)
  • Dalvin Tomlinson, DT/NT, Alabama (COM)
  • Josh Tupou, DT, Colorado (PRI)
  • Davis Webb, QB, California (PRI)
  • Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)
  • Tim Williams, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (WOR)
  • Brandon Wilson, CB, Houston (WOR)
  • Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado (PRI)
  • Deangelo Yancey, WR, Purdue (PRI)
We lack depth, but our front line starters will be some of the best in the league
Quote:We lack depth, but our front line starters will be some of the best in the league
Here is what I want to know.  It appears the Jaguars will be moving away from Seattle's single high safety approach now that Gus Bradley is gone.  Tod Wash wants to use two safeties with both strong and free responsibilities, per the team website, so what does the nickel and NASCAR packages look like?

Will Calais Campbell be played exclusively at defensive end or will he be kicked inside to tackle on passing downs?  How does Smoot figure in this?

I know the reason the thumbtacks went to "exotic smash mouth" was to try to take advantage of the trend around the league to play nickel 75% of the time.

Maybe since the Jags have Myles Jack, they don't plan to use much nickel at all.

Ramsey could be an all-pro.
Quote:Here is what I want to know. It appears the Jaguars will be moving away from Seattle's single high safety approach now that Gus Bradley is gone. Tod Wash wants to use two safeties with both strong and free responsibilities, per the team website, so what does the nickel and NASCAR packages look like?

Will Calais Campbell be played exclusively at defensive end or will he be kicked inside to tackle on passing downs? How does Smoot figure in this?

I know the reason the thumbtacks went to "exotic smash mouth" was to try to take advantage of the trend around the league to play nickel 75% of the time.

Maybe since the Jags have Myles Jack, they don't plan to use much nickel at all.
The NASCAR package won't be hard to figure; Fowler, Campbell, Jackson, Yannick. Good luck trying to block that. I think Colvin is easily the Nickel corner with Myrick likely being the next guy up after. Jack should see significantly more snaps this year but I actually think they play more nickel his year, because I figure we will be ahead in some games.
Quote:Here is what I want to know.  It appears the Jaguars will be moving away from Seattle's single high safety approach now that Gus Bradley is gone.  Tod Wash wants to use two safeties with both strong and free responsibilities...

I recall a recent discussion where they were talking about want the Safeties to be more interchangeable in order to better disguise what they're doing on a given down. One player I see fitting this role well is Jarrod Wilson.

Quote:I recall a recent discussion where they were talking about want the Safeties to be more interchangeable in order to better disguise what they're doing on a given down. One player I see fitting this role well is Jarrod Wilson.

Johnson is my guy..
Quote:I recall a recent discussion where they were talking about want the Safeties to be more interchangeable in order to better disguise what they're doing on a given down. One player I see fitting this role well is Jarrod Wilson.

Interchanging Church and Gipson does not need to involve a back-up.

It's just a matter of lining them up pre-snap in a way that doesn't allow the QB to determine which will drop, which will play the box or whether one side or the other will get a double coverage.

It's about disguise, not substitution.
Quote:Interchanging Church and Gipson does not need to involve a back-up.

It's just a matter of lining them up pre-snap in a way that doesn't allow the QB to determine which will drop, which will play the box or whether one side or the other will get a double coverage.

It's about disguise, not substitution.

I would disguise for Andrew Luck and substitute for everybody else in the division.

Actually, the official message board citation style should be APA. That way we can all benefit from in-text citations to match the source to the sentence. That would cut back on all the unsubstantiated opinions.