Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: M.harris Vs. Welker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was keying on this matchup a bit to try to gauge Harris' progress.  While he gave up a few plays (especially biting on the fake screen pass) Harris played Welker pretty well. He limited one of the premier slot receivers in the league to 6 catches for 63 yds.  Yes, he had the one TD on the aforementioned fake. ( I attribute that to a HOF QB doing what he does against a 2nd year 5th rounder.)

Also - Welker had a few receptions during which Harris was not on the field or assigned elsewhere. 

They played nickel more than they have in any game this season and Harris responded pretty well, IMO. Now, I'm not crowning the guy a great nickel or anything - just thought I'd point out that he held his own and would have had a great game had he not bit on the fake screen pass.  ( also important to note that the LB could have also stopped Welker for a 5 yard gain after Harris moved up anticipating the screen - but he was also sucked in.)

Bottom line:   He looks like a guy that Bradley may indeed want to upgrade next year - but in a scheme that emphasizes aggressive DB play - he's probably quality depth moving forward. 
It would appear that PFF saw it a bit differently.  They see Harris assigned to Welker only 3 times and seem to think the LB was at fault on the fake. 

Quote:Mike Harris: The Jaguars managed to keep <a class="" href='http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2807/peyton-manning'>Peyton Manning</a> in check, as the Broncos offense had its lowest offensive output of the season in Week 6. Earning the highest grade on the defense was Harris with a <b>+1.4</b> showing. According to PFF, he allowed receptions all seven times he was thrown at, but never allowed more than seven yards, keeping the recipients of those passes to a 4.4 yards per catch average. <a class="" href='http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2545/wes-welker'>Wes Welker</a> was his biggest victim, as Harris limited the five-time Pro Bowler to 13 yards on three receptions.

So - if you believe PFF - perhaps "adequate" doesn't do Harris justice in this contest.   Interesting. 

Our CBs have been a nice surprise this year.. I think everybody including myself thought they'd be a weak point. 

I like Harris, he improved through out last year also.

Quote:I like Harris, he improved through out last year also.
He did. I was thinking this game would be an indicator of how far he has come along since then -  and it would appear that he's continued to improve. 

He may not have the length Gus seeks out length in his secondary - but he certainly seems to have taken to the "aggressive / quick to the ball" part of Bradley's defensive scheme fairly well.  

I hope he keeps it up. Rivers worked the underneath pretty successfully against the Colts on MNF - he may have some opportunities to break up a few of those this week. 
Harris is the least of the worries of this team. He isn't an all-pro or anything, but he holds his own, and does a very respectable job. I like the kid.

I like his willingness to do just about anything and he's not just some try hard guy without talent. He's coming along nicely as an all around DB.
Harris was one of FSUs best CBs

Quote:Harris was one of FSUs best CBs
That's not saying much!
Quote:That's not saying much!
it is seeing fsu had one of the best defenses that year he was playing.