Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Bradley and the problem of the process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
PFT had a decent article discussing Gus's time honored refrain about sticking with the process.  What happens when your process if flawed?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...e-process/

Quote: 

When the Jaguars started this season looking like the same lousy team they were in Bradley’s first three seasons as head coach, Bradley insisted that the team just needs to “Stick to the process.” That’s a common refrain in football, but it raises a big question: What if your process is flawed?

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;margin:0em 0em 1.2em;font-size:15.52px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">The problem with sticking with the the process is that if you have a bad process, you’re sticking with something that isn’t working...

I think pretty much everyone in Jacksonville is done with the coach's "process" and we are just playing out the string.  All chances of even a 50/50 season are now gone and we have a number of pretty much guaranteed losses on the schedule still.  I am not a huge PFT fan but this is actually a reasonable article.

#FireDaveCaldwell for being stupid enough to hire Gus and draft Blake. #ThanksDave 

I understand that coaches use coach talk.  But has Gus Bradley actually defined what he means by the process?   

Quote:PFT had a decent article discussing Gus's time honored refrain about sticking with the process.  What happens when your process if flawed?

The Process.   Whatcha talkin bout Willis

[Image: joel-embiid-2016100801.jpg]
Quote:#FireDaveCaldwell for being stupid enough to hire Gus and draft Blake. #ThanksDave 

I was trying to think of things to be Thankful for on Sunday and it occurred to me that I was thankful that we did not spend $70 million on Brock Osweiler.  It looks like we won't be spending that kind of money to keep Blake on the team either.  so I guess it is better to learn these things before they get the big contract rather than after.

So, amidst this disastrous season, that is at least one thing to be thankful for.
Quote:I understand that coaches use coach talk.  But has Gus Bradley actually defined what he means by the process?   

I am not sure that Bradley knows what the "process" is.  it is just a word that he heard Pete use and it worked for Pete so maybe it will work for him.
Quote:I was trying to think of things to be Thankful for on Sunday and it occurred to me that I was thankful that we did not spend $70 million on Brock Osweiler.  It looks like we won't be spending that kind of money to keep Blake on the team either.  so I guess it is better to learn these things before they get the big contract rather than after.

So, amidst this disastrous season, that is at least one thing to be thankful for.

maaaaan...are you SURE? this is the same idiot who gave Gus Bradley a CONTRACT EXTENSION lol. You can't be too sure with Dave. He doesn't make great decisions 
Quote:I am not sure that Bradley knows what the "process" is.  it is just a word that he heard Pete use and it worked for Pete so maybe it will work for him.

What led to the question I asked is a good point you made at the being of the thread:  What happens when your process if flawed?

Though Gus Bradley came from an NFL organization that has gone on to have huge success in recent seasons,   Bradley has never had a track record of success as a HC to fall back when adversity has hit.    When a HC has led a team out of a hole,   it's much easier for Assistant Coaches,  players,  and fans to be confident that it can happen with the current team.
Quote:  What led to the question I asked is a good point you made at the being of the thread:  What happens when your process if flawed?

Though Gus Bradley came from an NFL organization that has gone on to have huge success in recent seasons,   Bradley has never had a track record of success as a HC to fall back when adversity has hit.    When a HC has led a team out of a hole,   it's much easier for Assistant Coaches,  players,  and fans to be confident that it can happen with the current team.

This was Bradley's first HC job and with some hindsight I think everyone can agree that JDR was a vastly better HC than Bradley.  JDR was just stuck with the Harris/Clean Gene train wreck providing him talent and eventually even he failed to be able to get anything done with those players.  When JDR left here I felt he would be a HC somewhere else soon even though I agreed with the team letting him go when they did.

I do not feel that Bradley will be a successful head coach in the NFL.  I think that he will be a successful coordinator somewhere though.  The guy who Bradley reminds me of in some ways is Dom Capers.  He is a guy who always successful as a coordinator but who also failed every time he was given a HC opportunity.

Since we are talking about Bradley and his "process", I guess I would say that he does not have a process to manage the big picture as a head coach but he does have the fire and zeal to run one part of a team.  Guys like Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick have a process to run the whole show.
"The Process" has led to the worst NFL head coaching record EVER...I think.

Why stick to a process that yields the same results almost every single Sunday?  Why expect different results, when we don't change anything?

Quote:"The Process" has led to the worst NFL head coaching record EVER...I think.

Why stick to a process that yields the same results almost every single Sunday?  Why expect different results, when we don't change anything?

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"
The process was doomed from the beginning when winning wasn't the goal. When we on tried to " get better each day "
Quote:"The Process" has led to the worst NFL head coaching record EVER...I think.

#BecauseDave
Quote:  What led to the question I asked is a good point you made at the being of the thread:  What happens when your process if flawed?

If your process is flawed, then you (or someone above you) needs to change it. However, the better AND real questions that needs to be asked are:

Is it flawed?

Because before you decide WHAT to do, you need to decide IF its broken. 

Once you've determined that the process did not work, you need to determine WHY it didn't work. If you fail to do this step, then you are bound to make the same mistakes again or end up with the incorrect response. Far too often, we as a society like to jump into a conclusion and then create our arguments based on that conclusion. That should not be the case. Take a look back at the history of the Jaguars and you'll see far too many pendulum swings.

Coughlin was a disciplinarian. He was hard nosed, perhaps too tough on his players. Some players hated him, some loved him, some hated him then but love him now. We replaced him with a "player's coach" in JDR. But was too much discipline the problem? TC also had too much power, especially at the end. So instead of "one" person, we decided to go with a trio of decision makers: Shack, Jack, and I can't remember his name now (he was a financial guy). The buzz word back then was how every decision with the Jaguars must go through those three people.

Again, it failed. So when we decided to restart again, we went with a "strict, no-nonsense" guy in Mularkey (see stories of him getting the team to line-up helmets). The "trio" didn't work, and the Jaguars went back to the common hierarchy of the GM (Gene) being the decision maker. Comments after Mularkey left seem to indicate that MM and Gene didn't see eye-to-eye on personnel moves. Remember the coaching staff that Mularkey brought over? It was supposed to be an "all-star" of assistant coaches. Long-time NFL assistants that was supposed to turn this franchise around. By the end of his tenure, the common theme we heard was "too many chefs in the kitchen".

So what happens?

We went from a bland, no-nonsense guys in Mularkey and Gene to outspoken and vibrant personalities in Gus (Do your job!) and Dave (Not even if he's released). We also went from that veteran assistant staff (too many chefs in the kitchen" to a incredibly young and inexperienced staff.

Listen to what is being said now.

"We need a disciplinarian!"

"We need veteran coordinators!"

"We need an offensive mind!"

"We need a President of Football Operations!"

Are these clear fixes for what is ailing the Jaguars?

Nope, just another pendulum swing to the other side.
@speedyG

So you advocate another rah rah players coach? Should the coaching staff continue to preach that winning isn't important and that it's all about getting better and demonstrating spirit? Should we keep running the same horse [BLEEP] defensive scheme that doesn't work?

Might as well keep Dopey Gus then.
Quote:#BecauseDave

Personally, I doubt that Dave get's fired.  I understand the concern since if we consider Blake a fail then that means at a minimum two out of three of his 1st round picks has failed.  The only one to look like a true first rounder from the very start has been Ramsey.

With that said, I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that he has not dramatically improved the talent on this team since he took over.
Quote:If your process is flawed, then you (or someone above you) needs to change it. However, the better AND real questions that needs to be asked are:

Is it flawed?

Because before you decide WHAT to do, you need to decide IF its broken. 

Once you've determined that the process did not work, you need to determine WHY it didn't work. If you fail to do this step, then you are bound to make the same mistakes again or end up with the incorrect response. Far too often, we as a society like to jump into a conclusion and then create our arguments based on that conclusion. That should not be the case. Take a look back at the history of the Jaguars and you'll see far too many pendulum swings.

Coughlin was a disciplinarian. He was hard nosed, perhaps too tough on his players. Some players hated him, some loved him, some hated him then but love him now. We replaced him with a "player's coach" in JDR. But was too much discipline the problem? TC also had too much power, especially at the end. So instead of "one" person, we decided to go with a trio of decision makers: Shack, Jack, and I can't remember his name now (he was a financial guy). The buzz word back then was how every decision with the Jaguars must go through those three people.

Again, it failed. So when we decided to restart again, we went with a "strict, no-nonsense" guy in Mularkey (see stories of him getting the team to line-up helmets). The "trio" didn't work, and the Jaguars went back to the common hierarchy of the GM (Gene) being the decision maker. Comments after Mularkey left seem to indicate that MM and Gene didn't see eye-to-eye on personnel moves. Remember the coaching staff that Mularkey brought over? It was supposed to be an "all-star" of assistant coaches. Long-time NFL assistants that was supposed to turn this franchise around. By the end of his tenure, the common theme we heard was "too many chefs in the kitchen".

So what happens?

We went from a bland, no-nonsense guys in Mularkey and Gene to outspoken and vibrant personalities in Gus (Do your job!) and Dave (Not even if he's released). We also went from that veteran assistant staff (too many chefs in the kitchen" to a incredibly young and inexperienced staff.

Listen to what is being said now.

"We need a disciplinarian!"

"We need veteran coordinators!"

"We need an offensive mind!"

"We need a President of Football Operations!"

Are these clear fixes for what is ailing the Jaguars?

Nope, just another pendulum swing to the other side.

When TC started out with the Giants he was just like he was here, an overbearing disciplinarian.  It took a couple years but he eventually softened some and that was when the team there started their runs.  You need discipline but it can not be over the top discipline when you are dealing with professional players.

Mularkey is a bad example since he was only give one season with a woefully untalented team full of Clean Gene players.  I think it is fairly obvious after what he has done in TN that he is a better HC than Gus.

With the talent currently on this team a JDR type coach wins 8 games or more.  Other than the RB and QB position we are probably a more talented team this year than we were in 2007.
Quote:@speedyG

So you advocate another rah rah players coach? Should the coaching staff continue to preach that winning isn't important and that it's all about getting better and demonstrating spirit? Should we keep running the same horse [BAD WORD REMOVED] defensive scheme that doesn't work?

Might as well keep Dopey Gus then.

Another rah rah players coach? Pete Carrol is a rah rah guy. Even JDR is a rah rah guy. Would you not want either guy if they were available?

Should the coaching staff preach that winning isn't important? Again, I'm tired of arguing this. Because 90% of the people complaining against it do not understand it (or refuse to understand it). There are coaches (again Carroll) in the NFL, there are coaches and GMs in other sports (listen to what the Spurs guys really talk about, the Hawks which were from that Spurs tree, and now the Nets which stemmed from those two teams) who believe very very strongly in player development and that player development translates to wins. I've even known of successful businesses who subscribe to this theory. 

Then the scheme. Seattle doesn't have any problems with the scheme. Even Atlanta is showing improvements running the scheme.

Forget the labels. It does not matter if he's an offensive mind, defensive mind, young, or old. Disciplinarians have failed and won, same with rah-rah guys. Teams have won by using a "win now" strategy, and teams have won by using a "build from scratch" strategy". Teams have won by building their scheme around players, and teams have won by getting guys that fit their scheme.

There is no one way to win in the NFL. Or in business. Or in life for that matter. If there was, everyone would be following the same script.
Quote:When TC started out with the Giants he was just like he was here, an overbearing disciplinarian.  It took a couple years but he eventually softened some and that was when the team there started their runs.  You need discipline but it can not be over the top discipline when you are dealing with professional players.

Mularkey is a bad example since he was only give one season with a woefully untalented team full of Clean Gene players.  I think it is fairly obvious after what he has done in TN that he is a better HC than Gus.

With the talent currently on this team a JDR type coach wins 8 games or more.  Other than the RB and QB position we are probably a more talented team this year than we were in 2007.

I don't disagree that Gus are lesser coaches than any of these guys you mentioned. I don't think there's a question that he's gone after this season. But that's not really what you asked, is it? 

Everyone talks about this process as if Gus is the only person in the world who embraces this philosophy. He's not. 
We were supposed to get more talented...we did.

We were supposed to get better every day...we didn't.

We were told the wins would come...they haven't.

I think we all understand the process...but it didn't work.

Pages: 1 2