Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Usmnt - Jamaica Tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
6:30 start. Klinsman still going with a very strong roster even though already qualifying.

I was curious what he would do after beating Mexico to qualify. He could have either gone the young route to get international caps for some of the up and comers, or do what he did and continue to develop the team as a whole with the guys who will play in Brazil. I like the decision. I like this quote when they opened up their camp for these two games, "We want to finish qualifying on a high note and prove a point in our region."

The only missing pieces are Bradley, Dempsey, and Fabian Johnson who are out with injury. Still a very strong team though without them. Brooks out too with injury.

Looking forward to a Friday night off with a bye at the HS and enjoying this and the college games!
Need to lock Klinsman up for after the World Cup. He wants to stay, so thats awesome.
Quote:Need to lock Klinsman up for after the World Cup. He wants to stay, so thats awesome.
Agreed. I'm loving the changes he has implemented into the US team. 
Quote:Agreed. I'm loving the changes he has implemented into the US team. 
He has made some pretty big changes in strategy on the field, and some changes to the structure of developing the younger players on up.

A lot of the current success can be given to Bob Bradley as well. He really helped develop many of the current USMNT players and he, like Klinsman, encouraged them to take their talents overseas and be pushed rather then just stay in the MLS. This riled up some of the owners and MLS brass, but it was a good call. The MLS is getting better and better every year, but as of now, there is no better place to be challenged to the fullest extent then it is in some of the European leagues.

Quote:Need to lock Klinsman up for after the World Cup. He wants to stay, so thats awesome.

Quote:Agreed. I'm loving the changes he has implemented into the US team. 
He sees the sleeping giant that the USMNT can truly be.
Quote:He sees the sleeping giant that the USMNT can truly be.
If you want to awaken the giant you're going to have to do better than Jozy Altidore though.
Quote:If you want to awaken the giant you're going to have to do better than Jozy Altidore though.
In a 4-2-3-1 formation: Johannsen as the CF (in Altidore's role), Diskerud @ CAM and Bedoya at the wing seem to have real potential. This game was great experience for them and I can see them going beyond Donovan, Altidore, and Dempsey's levels when it's their time. 

Also, I love the formation change after halftime showing the adaptability by Klinsmann's coaching.
Quote:In a 4-2-3-1 formation: Johannsen as the CF (in Altidore's role), Diskerud @ CAM and Bedoya at the wing seem to have real potential. This game was great experience for them and I can see them going beyond Donovan, Altidore, and Dempsey's levels when it's their time. 

Also, I love the formation change after halftime showing the adaptability by Klinsmann's coaching.
Players, not plays. Coaching is nice, but if one of your top players is Jozy Altidore you're not going to be considered a top contender.
Quote:Players, not plays. Coaching is nice, but if one of your top players is Jozy Altidore you're not going to be considered a top contender.
Actually, I would say that formation changes and whatnot play an integral part in a teams success.

You won't maximize your ability to win if you have players playing in positions that don't fit their style/mold. And this is especially true for the USMNT with the caliber of players we have currently. 

Obviously we're no Spain, Brazil, or Germany - who can go deep into their bench and still play elite players. But, you have to start somewhere and we currently have Altidore - who's international form is in top shape (even though we may have played lesser talent). 

The tides are shifting and the tables are turning... Yes, it will definitely take a lot of time to get to the level of the usual powerhouses (if it ever happens) but the talent here in the USA is growing and the interest is piquing. 
Quote:Actually, I would say that formation changes and whatnot play an integral part in a teams success.

You won't maximize your ability to win if you have players playing in positions that don't fit their style/mold. And this is especially true for the USMNT with the caliber of players we have currently. 

Obviously we're no Spain, Brazil, or Germany - who can go deep into their bench and still play elite players. But, you have to start somewhere and we currently have Altidore - who's international form is in top shape (even though we may have played lesser talent). 

The tides are shifting and the tables are turning... Yes, it will definitely take a lot of time to get to the level of the usual powerhouses (if it ever happens) but the talent here in the USA is growing and the interest is piquing. 

Formations can bring out the best in your players but sometimes the best isn't good enough. And the talent level on the USMNT simply isn't good enough to warrant anything other than a dangerous outsider status.

And the word you're looking for is peaking, not piquing.
Quote: 

Actually, I think what he meant to say is that interest here has been piqued.
Quote:Formations can bring out the best in your players but sometimes the best isn't good enough. And the talent level on the USMNT simply isn't good enough to warrant anything other than a dangerous outsider status.

Not to call the grammar police but:

Pique: to stimulate or excite.

"I wasn't going to look at the beautiful mountain, but the peak, piqued a peek."

Edit: ^ Rollerjag hit what I was trying to say. Sorry if it wasn't worded properly - I had a long night.

Quote:Not to call the grammar police but:

Pique: to stimulate or excite.

"I wasn't going to look at the beautiful mountain, but the peak, piqued a peek."

Edit: ^ Rollerjag hit what I was trying to say. Sorry if it wasn't worded properly - I had a long night.

That's ok, all that matters here is that DragonFury was wrong.