Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Nfl International Series 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, greetings from the UK. I'm currently preparing an online blog with regards to there being 3 International Series games next season at Wembley and how these matches affect the designated home teams fans back in the US. I would be grateful if any of you could help me with this, by sharing some thoughts on this message board, firstly I was wondering whether or not you like the idea of having a home game played overseas for four consecutive years? Secondly would any of you consider / be willing going to the games in London? Thanks in advance for your help and good luck for the rest of the season. Matt Adams

-ScrewDrvr-

I don't think anyone wants to lose a home game for their team. But for the Jaguars, its not like it would hurt to try and expand the fan base.  I don't think I would ever attend a home game in London. Not because I wouldn't like to, but that's some major travel to watch one game.

As a season ticket holder I am not happy that I still have to pay for two preseason games and I lose one regular season game each year for the next 4 years.  That is 4 regular season games or half a season.   Not happy about that at all.   Still not sure how growing the fan base in London is going to translate into increased ticket sales in Jacksonville, so no, I don't like it.

That being said, I AM attending the game in London this year.   We were planning to go to London this year anyway, so we just picked the dates around the Jags game.   If we weren't already planning the trip I doubt we'd be going and I don't expect to go to any of the next 3.
Don't like it and the reasoning behind it of 'expanding the fan base' is a bunch of hooey. I can't see any way, shape, or form that it helps football in Jacksonville.
Quote:Hi guys, greetings from the UK. I'm currently preparing an online blog with regards to there being 3 International Series games next season at Wembley and how these matches affect the designated home teams fans back in the US. I would be grateful if any of you could help me with this, by sharing some thoughts on this message board, firstly I was wondering whether or not you like the idea of having a home game played overseas for four consecutive years? Secondly would any of you consider / be willing going to the games in London? Thanks in advance for your help and good luck for the rest of the season. Matt Adams
I believe what you are going to find out is the following:

1) Nobody likes to lose one of their home games.  We have to pay for 2 crappy preseason games in which the starters barely play so losing 1 of our 8 real games hurts.

2) People may be more willing to travel if their team is competitive on a year by year basis (Steelers, Patriots, etc).  Our Jags are so bad, it's hard to watch. 

3) Our fan base is incredibly knowledgeable as we have a great college fan base and NFL fan base.  We are slightly hurt by the fact that we are in Florida and have 50% residents that moved in from the Northeast (Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston, NY) and Midwest (Chicago) so the hometown loyalty toward the Jags is split.  This is also common in Tampa and Miami as well.

4) If we can get back on track in willing, our stadium will be packed.
Quote:Don't like it and the reasoning behind it of 'expanding the fan base' is a bunch of hooey. I can't see any way, shape, or form that it helps football in Jacksonville.

The biggest issue I have is that the NFL will always try and put a marquee team against Jacksonville. This year it was San Fran, next year it will be Dallas probably. So we are losing a chance to see a team that will only play here once every eight years. For the Jacksonville fans, it's hard to see how it is a win at all. The reason they do it is for the increased revenue. Money is the bottom line and the team makes alot of money from the one game in London.
Quote:Hi guys, greetings from the UK. I'm currently preparing an online blog with regards to there being 3 International Series games next season at Wembley and how these matches affect the designated home teams fans back in the US. I would be grateful if any of you could help me with this, by sharing some thoughts on this message board, firstly I was wondering whether or not you like the idea of having a home game played overseas for four consecutive years? Secondly would any of you consider / be willing going to the games in London? Thanks in advance for your help and good luck for the rest of the season. Matt Adams

I like the idea of growing the brand internationally BUT I question its effectiveness to better ticket sales locally. I think the most potential here is simply merchandising in london. If london embraces the Jaguars as basically "their home away from home" team then there will be lots of money to be made in that area for sure. I suppose it also helps get the jaguars in the news more often and actually become a pioneer in something thus legitimizing the Jaguars brand more. So overall, I am content. There are both positives and negatives to this.

I would consider traveling with the team to a london game if money wasn't an issue and the Jaguars were more competitive. I love the english culture over there and would be nice to see others from a different nation.
Quote:The biggest issue I have is that the NFL will always try and put a marquee team against Jacksonville. This year it was San Fran, next year it will be Dallas probably. So we are losing a chance to see a team that will only play here once every eight years. For the Jacksonville fans, it's hard to see how it is a win at all. The reason they do it is for the increased revenue. Money is the bottom line and the team makes alot of money from the one game in London.
But, bottom line, you need to fill the stadium to keep the team here and I think losing one of our marquee matchups every year does nothing but hurt the team in the long run.
Quote:But, bottom line, you need to fill the stadium to keep the team here and I think losing one of our marquee matchups every year does nothing but hurt the team in the long run.

I agree with you. I guess the NFL favors interconference matchups. Would be alot easier to send Buffalo/Jags to London and keep San Fran.
Quote:I agree with you. I guess the NFL favors interconference matchups. Would be alot easier to send Buffalo/Jags to London and keep San Fran.
Plus, if we're trying to gain a fanbase, wouldn't it be better to schedule a team that almosts sucks as much as we do.  Not sure how many fans we will gain losing to SF by 40.
Quote:Plus, if we're trying to gain a fanbase, wouldn't it be better to schedule a team that almosts sucks as much as we do.  Not sure how many fans we will gain losing to SF by 40.

Yep.

That would be like if Khan wanted his soccer team to gain a following in the US and scheduled a match against a team like Arsenal where they would likely get crushed.
I'm disappointed by the coverage in the UK of the Jaguars.  I thought that with them committing to a home game for four seasons they would appear more regularly in the few live games that we get over here.  It doesn't feel like the team is being marketed as well as it could to those fans over here without a team.

Quote:I'm disappointed by the coverage in the UK of the Jaguars.  I thought that with them committing to a home game for four seasons they would appear more regularly in the few live games that we get over here.  It doesn't feel like the team is being marketed as well as it could to those fans over here without a team.

They aren't showing the Jaguars over there because they want people to come watch them play in London.
Much of it has to do with the team's travel schedule preceding and after the trip to Europe.  Teams do feel somewhat disadvantaged when traveling long distances frequently or in consecutive games.  I don't know how it will schedule next year for the Jags - but this year they've already traveled quite extensively in the US.

They will have a home game before playing the 49ers 'cross the pond - but they will travel again the following week.  It's fair to say that the first half of the Jags season has been a bit more of a challenge due to the shear number of miles traveled between games.  I don't think it's a major detriment but it can have some impact nonetheless. 
Hi again fellas, thanks very much for your comments. I've enjoyed reading them & on a personal note I don't think it's fair that you lose a home game, simply for the fact that it takes away a big part of peoples weekend and the sense of pride that a person feels when going to the game. There was a similar idea proposed a couple of years ago in the Premier League which involved all 20 teams! Thankfully though it was always a none starter mainly due to the fact that so many fans and clubs opposed it. One point that did grab my attention was one about the financial benefits that it has for the team. Another question that I have is how the income is structured? e.g. Does all the income from ticket sales go directly to the Jags? Or is it split between them, the NFL and the visiting team?

Also do Season Ticket holders get any money back for the lost game? Or does the Franchise subsidise fans in another way such as reduced merchandising costs etc?

Quote:Also do Season Ticket holders get any money back for the lost game? Or does the Franchise subsidise fans in another way such as reduced merchandising costs etc?

Tecnically speaking, it does cost less now for an entire season. But when you factor that you are losing a regular season game, you are losing value in your season ticket. The two preseason games used to account for 1/5 of your ticket package. Now it is 2/9.

NFL is adding a 3rd International Game to be playing in London starting in 2014 with the Raiders as the designated home team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...lar-season

Quote:NFL is adding a 3rd International Game to be playing in London starting in 2014 with the Raiders as the designated home team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...lar-season
Another team deemed to be struggling with attendance. Except in the Raiders case they are REALLY struggling with attendance.
Quote:Another team deemed to be struggling with attendance. Except in the Raiders case they are REALLY struggling with attendance.
I seriously think before the season ends the NFL with add a 4th game with the Chargers as the home team.