Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Robert Mathis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Didn't realize he is leading the league in sacks.  He is 32, has over 100 career sacks, his career high in sacks is 11.5, and already has 9.5 in the first 5 games.  On pace for over 30.  Just started playing OLB last year.  Is he getting better as he gets older or is the 3-4 defense just a better fit for him. 

He has already had a great career but he maybe could of even been better had he played the 3-4 is whole career.  I think he has had a better career than Freeney because Mathis was also good against the run and Freeney wasn't. 

I think he has been one of the most underrated players over the last decade.
Yeah don't be fooled their best players are the old guard still
Yup, he's been a beast that no one is talking about.

Has a strong case for DPOY, except for the fact no one is even talking about him. Not sure why.

He is probably more of a fit in the 3-4. One of the problems we always had with Dungy's 4-3 "cover 2" is that we had smaller defensive players who might have been out of place upfront. I think this is why we had so much trouble against the run. 

The defense this year has been great. It should be noted that Mathis leads the league in sacks without having Dwight Freeney on the other side. It makes his performance so far this year that much more impressive. 

He is definitely a DPOY candidate.