Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: David Caldwell's Additions...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There have been some mild surprises so far, this season, when it comes to the new faces on this team.

Name a couple that are playing better than you espected and 1 that has let you down.

Surprises-

Will Blackmon and Alan Ball

I consulted my Cowboy and Packer friends about these 2 when we picked them up.

About Blackmon, I heard he was a great returner and athlete but, he lacked awareness to know where the ball is in coverage.

About Ball, I heard he was straight garbage. Houston and Dallas fans were laughing because of how bad he was for them.

They're now a top 10 tandem according to PFF.

How good could they be if we had a pass rush?!?

Disapointment-

Geno Hayes

I knew he was a backup at his last stop, but I remember him in Tampa where he was holding it down.

Now, he tries too hard and gets out of his gap(s). Just needs do HIS job, carry out his responsibilities and trust his teammates, then a lot will be fixed.

- Alan Ball has played better than most expected. (and he's been doing it banged up) 

- W. Blackmon is a pretty good corner.  

- Marks is good.   

Try to name a year in which Gene hit on 3 free agents that played at a similar level for a similar price.     Can't do it.  

The only year that comes close is 2011 when he signed Coleman, Landry and Posluszny  -  but he overpaid for all of them. 

( a number of the rookies look like they will have a future in the NFL already as well )

The secondary coaching is very good and the rookies will improve over the season. I want them to light up the receivers like they did in college it will be the first sign they are playing fast and free.

Quote:There have been some mild surprises so far, this season, when it comes to the new faces on this team.

Name a couple that are playing better than you espected and 1 that has let you down.

Surprises-

Will Blackmon and Alan Ball

I consulted my Cowboy and Packer friends about these 2 when we picked them up.

About Blackmon, I heard he was a great returner and athlete but, he lacked awareness to know where the ball is in coverage.

About Ball, I heard he was straight garbage. Houston and Dallas fans were laughing because of how bad he was for them.

They're now a top 10 tandem according to PFF.

How good could they be if we had a pass rush?!?

Disapointment-

Geno Hayes

I knew he was a backup at his last stop, but I remember him in Tampa where he was holding it down.

Now, he tries too hard and gets out of his gap(s). Just needs do HIS job, carry out his responsibilities and trust his teammates, then a lot will be fixed.

Geno has made some plays for us, idk how much he's been out of position because I havent rewatched the games but he's stood out on some occasions.
Don't forget Clay Harbour.  The situation with mercedes has caused a lot of flux with that position.  He was picked up off the street and one week to the next you didn't know if he was going to be the third TE up the move TE in 11 personell or in the last game starting.  What you have seen is that he demonstrates a lot of athletacism from that position and is probably the best pure recieving option that we have at the TE position this year.  I expect him to get better and better as the season goes on.  It was a shame on the fumble this last game.  There were two blockers in front of him.  The LB should never have touched him, but he still has to work on ball security. 

It can't be understated how good blackmon and ball have been to this point.  Blackmon has given up two big plays since he's been here and that's about it.  and both times it was just a great play by the reciever and he was in position.  In the scheme we run, those guys are on an island without a soccerball (yes, that was a refrence to cast away... DEAL WITH IT!)  The fact that we don't allow quality recievers to get on top of our corners is a testament to both GUS and Dave.  Marks shows a lot of promise in the interior pass rush and at no point did we make a FA investment that would put the team in anything close to cap jeopardy. 

Quote:  In the scheme we run, those guys are on an island without a soccerball (yes, that was a refrence to cast away... DEAL WITH IT!)  
Shouldn't the reference have been 'on an island without a volleyball' in that case?
Agreed with most here. Geno Hayes has disapointed me, I think Blackmon will have a future here, and Marks is someone to be afraid of.
Tommy love your Sig. Both our signature picks are on the same track.
Laughing What did you guys expect from Geno Hayes?

I'm happy and surprised with Alan Ball and Will Blackmon, especially Blackmon coming in at the last min. and being plugged in almost right away.
Quote:Tommy love your Sig. Both our signature picks are on the same track.
Everyone loves my sigs. 

Teddy will be a special one.
Quote: Laughing What did you guys expect from Geno Hayes?

I'm happy and surprised with Alan Ball and Will Blackmon, especially Blackmon coming in at the last min. and being plugged in almost right away.
To be able to fill his simple assignments. He gets beat off his gap every, single, play. 
Quote:Laughing What did you guys expect from Geno Hayes?

I don't think we were expecting much from Ball or Blackmon either. That is the point.
Marks ,Blackmon,Ball have been good and even Trufant has played decent.

MCcray,Gratz,Evans and Cyprien have all made impressive plays from the preseason to the reg season.

Sanders and Robinson havent been big for the offensive side of the ball outside of a few nice special teams returns but i put that on the entire offense being marred by bad playcalling and bad qb play.Interior O-line being an all you can eat buffett hasnt helped either.

Overall we should be excited for all the new faces making a positive impact. That said Gene's first draft looked promising in their first season so i will temper my hopes until next years draft and our franchise QB having a year under his belt.

Geno was more a Bradley and Babich pick up. He played for Bradley in tampa and Babich in Chicago. He was familiar with the Defensivs Scheme.