Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Article On Jags Trainer / Joeckel Injury
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most of you have likely seen this - but for those who have  not - it gives us a small glimpse of the Jags long-tenured head trainer and his method.  

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...-mike-ryan

I assumed they suspected a fracture because somebody held Joeckel's ankle the whole time he sat on the cart to prevent movement. When ankles are sprained, a little motion is OK. But at the time all I could think was he will not go back in the game.

It is good to know he was never alone and could call his parents after the diagnosis. Troy Polamalu was fined for texting during a game he got hurt in even though he was just giving an injury report.

Injury Update :

Quote: 

The Jaguars confirmed that rookie left tackle Luke Joeckel underwent successful surgery on his broken right ankle on Wednesday morning in Charlotte.

Quote:Injury Update :

any idea which doctor performed the surgey?  why charlotte..
Quote:any idea which doctor performed the surgey?  why charlotte..
No clue on either as of now.  Not much info out there yet.
Yeah, I was also wondering why Charlotte.

Did they say how bad the break is?

Joeckel is damaged goods. I hate to hear when these players has to get plates and screws inserted into their body. You see why Julio Jones is going to the IR because of a broken screw. Don't see how this is good for him in the long term.

Quote:Joeckel is damaged goods. I hate to hear when these players has to get plates and screws inserted into their body. You see why Julio Jones is going to the IR because of a broken screw. Don't see how this is good for him in the long term.
It's not but nothing can be done about it.

It's a broken ankle and don't see it effecting his career.  If it was a knee then there is some serious problems. Luckily it was an ankle
A foot and an ankle break are completely different. His ankle should be as strong or stronger than before the break.
Quote:Joeckel is damaged goods. I hate to hear when these players has to get plates and screws inserted into their body. You see why Julio Jones is going to the IR because of a broken screw. Don't see how this is good for him in the long term.

Julio Jones is on IR because of a broken screw? That makes no sense. A broken screw can be replaced. It must be the foot that broke for him to land on IR.

Unlike tendon and ligament tears, bone fractures only cause temporary disability. He will heal from this a lot faster than Michael Crabtree, who tore his Achilles tendon, and have no permanent damage or weakness. However he might make alarms go off at airport security checkpoints for the rest of his life.

Quote:A foot and an ankle break are completely different. His ankle should be as strong or stronger than before the break.

How do you know feet are not as strong after they break?
Quote:Julio Jones is on IR because of a broken screw? That makes no sense. A broken screw can be replaced. It must be the foot that broke for him to land on IR.

Unlike tendon and ligament tears, bone fractures only cause temporary disability. He will heal from this a lot faster than Michael Crabtree, who tore his Achilles tendon, and have no permanent damage or weakness. However he might make alarms go off at airport security checkpoints for the rest of his life.

How do you know feet are not as strong after they break?

I'd hazard a guess that something (like a screw) breaking inside of your body is going to damage beyond just the screw breaking. That said, I'm not trained in this field at all, it just seems like it'd be difficult to have something break and not do damage to surrounding tissue at the very least,
Quote:Yeah, I was also wondering why Charlotte.

Did they say how bad the break is?
Joeckel said "clean break" in his presser Monday. 
Quote:Joeckel said "clean break" in his presser Monday. 
That's good. It should heal on schedule.

I watched the entire presser and noticed the camera was pointed up, like somebody was trying to hide the cast and whatever he used to keep his right foot off the floor.

This is going to be a long year for him. I hope he will not be uncomfortable and sleepless much longer.

I'm glad they didn't take long to get the surgery over with

Whatever happened to setting a bone and letting it heal. I wonder why surgery was necessary.
There's talk of a plate being implanted to hold the bone(s) in place as they heal.  This is a fairly common ankle surgery when both the lower fibula and tibia are damaged or the break is at an awkward angle. 

(plates and screws  can often be removed several months later)

If you really want to geek out about ankle surgeries:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00391

Quote:Whatever happened to setting a bone and letting it heal. I wonder why surgery was necessary.
Depending on the location, that is not always possible. Even Jeff Driskel needed surgery and he broke the fibula. But I only broke my arm, so I don't know anything about operating to set bones.