Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I know many of you won't believe me, but this team has talent.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're competitive in games.  It's the stupid mistakes that cost us. The little details. And to me, that falls on coaching. 

Look how close these games were. And these were against very good teams, most of who currently lead their division. 

Lost to the Packers by four.

Lost to the Ravens by two.

Lost to the Chiefs by five.

Lost to the Texans by three.

Lost to the Lions by seven.

Lost to the Bills by seven.

Everyone of these games was winnable. And in every game, you can point to some stupid breakdown that cost us the game.

For me, I'm reluctant to judge any of the players harshly until they receive good coaching. We all know that won't happen this year.

I think the talent on this team is overrated. We lack talent at the most important position.
So in short we lost to a bunch of mediocre teams and won against horrible teams 

Talent is hardly the issue. Even with the draft busts and overpaid mediocre FA's the team is in good shape. However, when your QB is about as accurate as a french chauchat rifle from WWII with a penchant for giving away 6 points and your Head Coach can't scheme or game plan or develop discipline, you lose games. 

Those games just didn't go our way, man, but that's what it's about man! Adversity, grit, opportoony's, sweep the floors man!!! Get better everyday and we'll get em next year! Extend Brads for 3 years.
It doesn't matter how talented, or close to being good, or how "on the cusp of winning" people think the Jaguars are right now, until they get a real true bonafide NFL HC, who holds players accountable, AND a much more accurate QB, with less of a windup and a quicker delivery, the Jaguars won't be having any winning seasons.

That's just the way it is.
I'm on the group that feels there's plenty of talent on this roster to be a good team. The only one I've been questioning is Blake and his regression.

A proper coaching staff would have this team winning most of those games we lost. There's really no excuse for us being this bad... Besides Gus.
Bortles isn't the right guy for this team. We need a real franchise qb. He did play better today, but he is just not getting it done.

He needs to learn how to throw. He was over throwing receivers all day, and throwing behind them. His saving grace was his running, but the great ones don't do that every other play.
Quote:So in short we lost to a bunch of mediocre teams and won against horrible teams 
Ravens are leading their division. Any Rodgers led team can win games, and they are having an off year. Lions again, top of their division. Chiefs are a playoff team from a year ago, will be again this year(likely). The Texans are the class of the AFC South and also a playoff team by default. Tennessee will challenge for the division. Outside of Dallas, New England and MAYBE Seattle or Oakland everyone else is pretty close together in skill/talent in the league. We are talented, Hell even Cleveland should have a handful of wins if not for some terrible turn of events. 
Upgrade the coach and quarterback and you've got an 8 or 9 win team.  
Get a franchise level head coach and QB and we are playoff caliber. Add one more pass rusher on top of that, and a solid nose tackle like Roy that should be fairly easy to get, and we could do some damage in the playoffs.

Literally just 2-3 dudes away this time, unfortunately they might be the hardest 2-3 spots to fill. 

Wish we drafted Dak Sad
Bortles is worse this year than he was last year. That's one thing that still gives me hope for him - we know he can be better, because we've seen it. Whether he will be is to be seen, and there's no way we should be going into next year without a plan B.
Crimeny people, do you still not see that Bortles was better last year after he was coached the whole offseason by someone not on the Jaguars staff? Get the man a coach and he'll be fine.
Quote:Crimeny people, do you still not see that Bortles was better last year after he was coached the whole offseason by someone not on the Jaguars staff? Get the man a coach and he'll be fine.

Yeah sadly I do see that plus when they didn't change the HC in the offseason the guy mailed it in a little bit.  The Titans game after the owner taking time to talk to the players remains striking.  To play like that, it is very obvious that the message and the head coach are toast.
For some perspective:

2015:

Lost to the colts by 3 (OT)

Lost to TB by 7

Lost to the Jets by 5

Lost to SD by 6

Lost to Titans by 3

Lost to ATL by 6

Moral of the story, we're still a bunch of losers. It doesn't matter "how close" we're getting. Unless this team starts closing games and getting a "W", we're not improving.
We're so used to seeing Gus, we have no idea what kind of impact good coaching can have on questionable players like Bortles.  It may be true that Bortles isn't the franchise quarterback. But I'd like to see what he can do with a good coach before I make a final judgement.

For the record, Bortles actually played well yesterday. His completion percentage wasn't high, but he had some drops, and some calls that should have been PI. I like giving him the option of scrambling.  Maybe that's the kind of QB he was meant to be. i don't know.

I think one more pass rusher and this team is top 5 defense with some decent coaching. Yannick is proving to possibly turn out to be a monster, Telvin/Jack on the outside should do damage once Jack gets more snaps under his belt since it took forever for him to see the field, we already know about Ramsey. Maybe another safety too? 

Idk about the offense though. We looked really good with Ivory before he pulled the hammy, so a better o Line and another RB/QB and we should be ok. That is if the WR's want to stop dropping the ball when it's there. 

Quote:We're competitive in games.  It's the stupid mistakes that cost us. The little details. And to me, that falls on coaching. 

Look how close these games were. And these were against very good teams, most of who currently lead their division. 

Lost to the Packers by four.

Lost to the Ravens by two.

Lost to the Chiefs by five.

Lost to the Texans by three.

Lost to the Lions by seven.

Lost to the Bills by seven.

Everyone of these games was winnable. And in every game, you can point to some stupid breakdown that cost us the game.

For me, I'm reluctant to judge any of the players harshly until they receive good coaching. We all know that won't happen this year.

Let's see ..... the Packers are 3-6 and the Bills, Texans, and Ravens are all 5-5 against teams not named the Jaguars

Additionally, KC beat us without their #1 QB,  #1 RB, and #1 WR ... and their #1 TE got kicked out of the game in the 1st half.

Quote:Let's see ..... the Packers are 3-6 and the Bills, Texans, and Ravens are all 5-5 against teams not named the Jaguars

Additionally, KC beat us without their #1 QB,  #1 RB, and #1 WR ... and their #1 TE got kicked out of the game in the 1st half.

Yes this is the insanity of the Gus Error.  It is tough to gauge the players because the scheme is garbage.  I can't remember a time when watching football that a ball tip or batted in the air fell to the ground without anyone being anywhere near the ball.  I'm baffled more and more every week about what we are doing.

The second half defensive play negated the first half play.

The offense played typical Jaguars football.  No momentum and nothing to disrupt the other team.

Teams can just grind it out with us and wait for the win. Only twice this year did this strategy fail when we fluked into Colts and Bears wins.  Honestly I don't know how we aren't duking it out with the Browns for futility.  The browns situation is explainable with how they managed the offseason.  Oh wait ours is too because we stood pat with our staff.