Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Zone Blocking Scheme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The current oline shuffles, MJD not fit for the scheme due to regressing agility and quickness. Our best blocking TE has been injured. Our qb sucks. Or maybe we just dont have the right personnel. We've had a full offseason and 5 games in the books. How long until we can fully adjust and produce a consistently adequate running game.  Its suppose to create multiple running lanes but all ive seen is the great wall of china vs 5'7 MJD.  Or is it too soon to complain yet?

One name... Greg Jones. This guy was a monster behind basically the same O-line. When in doubt MJD would just cut behind him and a hole would develop after Greg blew someone up.

Quote:One name... Greg Jones. This guy was a monster behind basically the same O-line. When in doubt MJD would just cut behind him and a hole would develop after Greg blew someone up.

I am sure it had nothing to do with MJD being in his prime.
Quote:The current oline shuffles, MJD not fit for the scheme due to regressing agility and quickness. Our best blocking TE has been injured. Our qb sucks. Or maybe we just dont have the right personnel. We've had a full offseason and 5 games in the books. How long until we can fully adjust and produce a consistently adequate running game.  Its suppose to create multiple running lanes but all ive seen is the great wall of china vs 5'7 MJD.  Or is it too soon to complain yet?

Do you remember the part where they said we were going through a complete rebuild? Remember where the roster got gutted and a big chunk of the roster is made up of rookies? Remember that we have an aging center and a 3rd year player really playing like a rookie in Rackley due to the fact he lost his 2nd year due to injuries? This team wasn't built to be competitive or a winner, it was built to go through that whole process of building through the draft and blah blah blah. We're bad, get over it. Do like I do and pick a team you like outside the Jags you want to see go all the way realistically. For me I'll live and die a Jags fan but for this year I'm rooting for the Seahawks and enjoying the small things with the Jags like seeing Blackmon back. Or Cyprien evolve into a ball player. Or Blackmon coming out of nowhere and performing well(the CB one). Enjoy what you can, don't sweat the other mess. 
Quote:I am sure it had nothing to do with MJD being in his prime.
Maybe some but none of the other backs are finding green grass either, Greg was a beast, but the new blocking scheme doesn't feature a lead block
Quote:I am sure it had nothing to do with MJD being in his prime.
MJD is clearly getting better from his injury, but Greg Jones made up for a LOT of interior line deficiencies. Give the man his due. MJD would not be below 3 yards a carry, even injured, if Jones was still here.
Why is the ZBS preferred by some head coaches?

In the past couple years I have seen it help to ruin the production for a couple established RB's that were productive pre-ZBS, in McFadden (2012) & MoJo this year. 

What are the benefits to this scheme that coaches choose it over the kind of system that we had before it? 

Did Seattle use it?

Do some of the better teams in the NFL currently, use it?

Quote:Do you remember the part where they said we were going through a complete rebuild? Remember where the roster got gutted and a big chunk of the roster is made up of rookies? Remember that we have an aging center and a 3rd year player really playing like a rookie in Rackley due to the fact he lost his 2nd year due to injuries? This team wasn't built to be competitive or a winner, it was built to go through that whole process of building through the draft and blah blah blah. We're bad, get over it. Do like I do and pick a team you like outside the Jags you want to see go all the way realistically. For me I'll live and die a Jags fan but for this year I'm rooting for the Seahawks and enjoying the small things with the Jags like seeing Blackmon back. Or Cyprien evolve into a ball player. Or Blackmon coming out of nowhere and performing well(the CB one). Enjoy what you can, don't sweat the other mess. 
i understand all that, but im just wondering if an offseason and 5 games was enough to see the benefits of zbs. before the monroe trade there was little sign of success and we had the same oline for pretty much the whole season so far.  i wanna like the scheme, it just hasnt shown as much of a progress as ive thought it would through 5 games. maybe im judging too soon? i was wondering how soon others adjusted to the scheme and shown progress. my thought was mjd doesnt fit the scheme but im not really sure.   
Quote:Why is the ZBS preferred by some head coaches?

In the past couple years I have seen it help to ruin the production for a couple established RB's that were productive pre-ZBS, in McFadden (2012) & MoJo this year. 

What are the benefits to this scheme that coaches choose it over the kind of system that we had before it? 

Did Seattle use it?

i was asking for some sort of answers not more questions lol
Quote:Why is the ZBS preferred by some head coaches?

Did Seattle use it?

The Redskins and Texans have been very successful running the ball in a ZBS. Its all about personnel.