Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jedd Fisch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone even close to Jacksonville can see the mob with flames and pitchforks forming around Everbank Field just waiting for one sighting of Blaine Gabbert to send them into a frenzy.  After another game with under 50% completion percentage it's understandable for the fan base to be frustrated, but at the same time I think that we are missing something.  This was just Jedd Fisch's fifth regular season game calling plays at the NFL level...  AND IT SHOWS!

The Offensive line has taken a lot of heat for not generating enough push in the run game.  Loosing one on one battles up front is unacceptable and it gets you beat in this league.  At the same time, through the first four weeks of the season every time that we tried to get MJD involved it was with a fullback and two TE's.  Geeee...  I wonder what we were going to do.  With this many new players in the lineup (Harbour, burton, ebert, forsett didn't play in the preseason, Toddman emerged meaning that plans for Robinson had to be pushed back and or shelved) Fisch hasn't found a basic rhythm for his personnel packages and as such has made us all too predictable on offense.  Last week we were in base personnel for most of the game with the injuries to the wideouts today its 75% shotgun.  When we find a balance things will look a lot better. 

More importantly, I think that he misses the forest for the trees.  After the blocked punt we ran five consecutive passes inside the ten yardline, all out of shotgun, all straight drop back passes with no play action and the only one that wasn't from a tight bunch formation had our street Free Agent TE split out wide instead of our bellcow top 5 draft pick.  Later on with henne in the game with blackmon split out wide there was some sort of miscommunication about the route that he is supposed to run.  The first play that should have been installed in Red Zone packages back in OTA's was lining blackmon out wide in any formation and throwing the fade or fade stop.  If we can't get our best player the ball in the easiest way with 5 shots from the goal line then that's a problem.  You can worry about deuce right zigg twenty two x option or whatever convoluted terminology we have later, but football boils down to getting the ball in the air to your best player one on one and we didn't have the plays called in the red zone to do that.

Bash Gabbert all you want.  You can call him scared all you want.  You can call him weak.  You can talk about his pocket presence (which is a valid criticism).  But We have seen both henne and Gabbert struggle with against predictable personell packages, route combinations that don't take the lid off defenses, and no play action passing to suck up the coverages. 

Players not plays

in this case both are horrible though. 

i cant believe im saying this but we are missing marcedes for the run game.

I disagree with some of decisions from Jedd, but really it's hard to judge him. He's calling plays for a horrible QB and bad offensive line. I think he deserves a shot next year when we get the QB. 

Quote:I disagree with some of decisions from Jedd, but really it's hard to judge him. He's calling plays for a horrible QB and bad offensive line. I think he deserves a shot next year when we get the QB. 

Why?  If he's part of the problem why should we give him the keys to our fancy new convertible (QB)?

If he is, as someone said, on a one year contract, I have a feeling Bradley will want to bring in a different offensive mind.  
Quote:Why?  If he's part of the problem why should we give him the keys to our fancy new convertible (QB)?

If he is, as someone said, on a one year contract, I have a feeling Bradley will want to bring in a different offensive mind.  
I don't know if you can say he's part of the problem though. Not many plays work when your QB is horrible, RB is shell of former self, and OL is really bad. 

People were calling for Koetter's head too. He's looked great in Atlanta. A good QB makes your playcalling a lot easier. 
Quote:I don't know if you can say he's part of the problem though. Not many plays work when your QB is horrible, RB is shell of former self, and OL is really bad. 

People were calling for Koetter's head too. He's looked great in Atlanta. A good QB makes your playcalling a lot easier. 

Not many plays work with all of that.  But things like:

1st and 10 - loss of 1 yard

2nd and 11 - RUN PLAY

are not things you want to see as a fan.  Even if Blaine Gabbert is your Quarterback.

All in all, it's something the Jags should try to find out.  If he's part of the problem, then you want to replace him before you stick your new QB in a position that he has to change OC's his first and second year in the league. Not sure if he was really meant to be part of the long term plans in any case if he was only given a one year deal.  It's also hard to bring in an OC when you have to sell them on BLAINE GABBERT.
Quote:Not many plays work with all of that.  But things like:

2nd and 11 - RUN PLAY

are not things you want to see as a fan.  Even if Blaine Gabbert is your Quarterback.
And what's the alternative to the run? A pick-six the other way because your QB is color-blind?

Bill Walsh couldn't have been competitive with this offense.
Quote:Not many plays work with all of that.  But things like:

2nd and 11 - RUN PLAY

All in all, it's something the Jags should try to find out.  If he's part of the problem, then you want to replace him before you stick your new QB in a position that he has to change OC's his first and second year in the league. Not sure if he was really meant to be part of the long term plans in any case if he was only given a one year deal.  It's also hard to bring in an OC when you have to sell them on BLAINE GABBERT.
Dirk Koetter used to do the same thing, and that's because 3rd & 10 with this offense is a drive killer and there us a much better chance to gain yards on 2nd down with the run.

I hope the team brings in a more expierenced NFL offensive guy to run the new offense with Bridgewater. I wish Fisch the best in the future but this team needs better. It's not all his fault and I feel bad for the guy. However I haven't been impressed with his playcalling in most situations and I see a very little chance of him being back next year. New QB, new OC, truly begin the rebuild.
You all do know that this is the third time in a row you've tried to lay the blame at the OC right? Take a look at the last two. Koetter has the Falcons putting up very big stats annually, and Greg Olson is working wonders in Oakland with a bad oline, terrible WR corps, talented but oft injured RB stable, and Pryor has taken a quantum leap forward. 

Do you think maybe, just maybe, the blame isn't all of these OCs and maybe it's the fact that the Jags are just plain horrible at BY FAR the most important position in all of sports and terrible at protecting him too? As someone above astutely said, Bill Walsh wouldn't be able to do a thing with this offense. Jeez I'm embarrassed by some people on here. 

Quote:You all do know that this is the third time in a row you've tried to lay the blame at the OC right? Take a look at the last two. Koetter has the Falcons putting up very big stats annually, and Greg Olson is working wonders in Oakland with a bad oline, terrible WR corps, talented but oft injured RB stable, and Pryor has taken a quantum leap forward.

Do you think maybe, just maybe, the blame isn't all of these OCs and maybe it's the fact that the Jags are just plain horrible at BY FAR the most important position in all of sports and terrible at protecting him too? As someone above astutely said, Bill Walsh wouldn't be able to do a thing with this offense. Jeez I'm embarrassed by some people on here.

Came to say almost the exact same thing. There's been one common denominator the past few years.
This running game died with the departure of Greg Jones.

Quote:Dirk Koetter used to do the same thing, and that's because 3rd & 10 with this offense is a drive killer and there us a much better chance to gain yards on 2nd down with the run.

Yes, but under Dirk Koetter, Blaine Gabbert didn't regress.  It's not all Fisch's fault that we're not successful.  But it's also important to answer the question if he's part of the problem or not.  Especially when we're planning on bringing in a new Quarterback.  I'm not sure why this is hard to get.  Nobody expects success out of Fisch.  We expect good playcalling, and some improvements.  
Quote:This running game died with the departure of Greg Jones.

No. It died when MJD fell off the cliff like dozens of other running backs have. It has nothing to do with Greg Jones.
Quote:You all do know that this is the third time in a row you've tried to lay the blame at the OC right? Take a look at the last two. Koetter has the Falcons putting up very big stats annually, and Greg Olson is working wonders in Oakland with a bad oline, terrible WR corps, talented but oft injured RB stable, and Pryor has taken a quantum leap forward. 

This is exactly it!  I'm so sick of the "blame it on the play calling".  Year after year, same thing.  So stupid. 
Quote:i cant believe im saying this but we are missing marcedes for the run game.

No we aren't. You're just one of the minions who consistently overrate this bum, to think his inclusion in this offense makes anything but marginal difference whatsoever. 
Quote:This is exactly it!  I'm so sick of the "blame it on the play calling".  Year after year, same thing.  So stupid. 

Koetter proved his worth here in 2007, when they had a great offense despite many mediocre talents in the passing game. 

Fisch actually has good weapons at WR, something Koetter never had. 

Mularkey's play calling sucked too, and had a history of being fired/ demoted in past jobs. He was about to be fired in ATL as OC before his buddy Gene saved him the embarrassment and hired him as HC. Saban demoted him from OC to TE's coach for poor performance. 

Maybe, just maybe the Jaguars actually have had bad play calling since Koetter left. 

The thing is that in the last 3 seasons (all with Gabbert) this is by far our worst offense.

Quote:Koetter proved his worth here in 2007, when they had a great offense despite many mediocre talents in the passing game. 

Fisch actually has good weapons at WR, something Koetter never had. 

Mularkey's play calling sucked too, and had a history of being fired/ demoted in past jobs. He was about to be fired in ATL as OC before his buddy Gene saved him the embarrassment and hired him as HC. Saban demoted him from OC to TE's coach for poor performance. 

Maybe, just maybe the Jaguars actually have had bad play calling since Koetter left.

^this. The play Calling through five games has been horrid. Regardless of the talent level. I'm also a believer that with a young defensive minded head coach we are better off with a more experienced NFL mind handling the offense. Jedd Fisch hasn't cut it so far. The play calls have been mediocre. This franchise has had enough mediocre.

I'm sick of people using Koetter in Atlanta as an example. A 7 year old could put up points calling that offense. They've been loaded with talent at the skill positions on offense (and have Matt Ryan) since he's been there. If anything I would argue that offense has underachieved. He wasn't the worst OC we've had here by a long margin but he's your average run of the mill OC. Atlanta is 20th in total offense this year. They were 8th last year. In Mularkey's last year they were 10th. That's not much of a difference. This year their offense has been nothing different than they have been.

The problem here is not all talent level and it's not all Fisch. It's a healthy mix of the two.
Pages: 1 2