Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gm Caldwell And The Qb Position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How did this gentleman not address the QB position in some form or fashion this offseason?  I know the draft and free agency was not perfect, but please for the fans why was this not addressed at least for the midterm.

If you have been watching these games in person or the away games on TV for the past three years you can clearly see that Gabbert and Henne are just not good QBs.  They are not "Gamers".  You can sit next to a 7-8 year old football game or coach JDL and see the better QBS with ease, regardless of the LINE in front of them.

Switching back from the Redzone today and back to the Jag game is mind boggling the man did not do anything about the QB.  The good QBs sit in the pocket till the last minute and / or read the blitz.  Gabbert truly runs scared and it was illustrated last week on TV while he had decent pockets to sit in.

Sorry for the rant.  First post, season ticket holder for ten years.  Raised at the beach and been at the games since 1996.  This is beyond absurd and had to let it out.  Saying that, I will be at every home game and a fan for life...........whewwwww.

Who was available? Matt Cassel? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Kevin Kolb? The QB class in the draft was considered the worst in recent memory. Not alot of help out there. Don't worry. The position will be addressed this spring.

Quote:Who was available? Matt Cassel? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Kevin Kolb? The QB class in the draft was considered the worst in recent memory. Not alot of help out there. Don't worry. The position will be addressed this spring.

I would love to see any of those guys behind center right now.
There just was nobody available.  You can't force something.  Caldwell will likely address QB in the draft this year.  If he doesn't, that's when I'd get worried.

DRAFT TEDDY BRIDGEWATER! HE WILL SAVE THE WORLD.

But seriously. I think most of us did expect that they would at least bring in another party that would have been legitimate competition to the likes of Henne and Gabbert...

Every team in the NFL with a questionable starting QB either drafted a QB, or signed a vet or both, we are the only team to not do it, we brought in 2 undrafted FAs and then in final cuts signed Stanzi.
Quote:I would love to see any of those guys behind center right now.

I don't see any of the three being an obvious upgrade. THe team would be 0-5 either way.
Quote:I don't see any of the three being an obvious upgrade. THe team would be 0-5 either way.
Matt Cassell and Ryan Fitzpatrick have won games in the NFL, Gabbert has not won crap, they are an upgrade over him, Gabbert is the worst QB in NFL history 
Quote:Matt Cassell and Ryan Fitzpatrick have won games in the NFL, Gabbert has not won crap, they are an upgrade over him, Gabbert is the worst QB in NFL history 

Technically Henne and Gabbert have won games also. Fitzpatrick's career record is 18 games under .500. He is just another Henne.
Technically, Gabbert has won games.

Matt Cassell looked good and took the Patriots to a 10-win season. How'd KC turn out for him? Now he's trying to recapture things in Minnesota with Ponder hurt.

Fitz won some games and had Buffalo looking like a solid team for a year or so, then the flame died. Perhaps he captures lightning in a bottle again in Tennessee.

Gabbert has won... a few games?

Regardless, I would have been all for either being signed if nothing more than to provide real competition and at least legitamacy to the "competition" claim at quarterback. But I think it's a stretch to expect that the team would be significantly better with either as neither is a do-it-all-himself quarterback, and Gabbert stinks. He's not the worst in history.

Ever since he took the position, all he did was praised "there will be competition at the qb position". Unfortunately, that position was between Gabbert, Henne, and some undrafted free agent they brought in. SMDH.
Quote:How did this gentleman not address the QB position in some form or fashion this offseason?  I know the draft and free agency was not perfect, but please for the fans why was this not addressed at least for the midterm.

If you have been watching these games in person or the away games on TV for the past three years you can clearly see that Gabbert and Henne are just not good QBs.  They are not "Gamers".  You can sit next to a 7-8 year old football game or coach JDL and see the better QBS with ease, regardless of the LINE in front of them......

It is really hard to watch.  And it is hard to accept their decision to wait to address the QB in the 2014 draft.  The outcome will likely solidify the team much better in the long-run, however.  It just makes sitting through this season really, really tough.   We'll get there.

Here's to the future...   *opens beer*
Redskins fans were mad in 2011 that Shanahan stuck with Grossman/Beck at QB. They weren't upset when they ended up with RGIII and Cousins the next year. Patience.

Quote:Technically Henne and Gabbert have won games also. Fitzpatrick's career record is 18 games under .500. He is just another Henne.
I'm not debating if they are better then Henne, I know they are just another Henne, the fact is they are better then Gabbert, thats the point im making.
Matt Hasslebeck was the best available QB however we wouldn't be in a position to get Teddy with Matt. (Alex Smith was traded) 

Quote:How did this gentleman not address the QB position in some form or fashion this offseason? I know the draft and free agency was not perfect, but please for the fans why was this not addressed at least for the midterm.

If you have been watching these games in person or the away games on TV for the past three years you can clearly see that Gabbert and Henne are just not good QBs. They are not "Gamers". You can sit next to a 7-8 year old football game or coach JDL and see the better QBS with ease, regardless of the LINE in front of them.

Switching back from the Redzone today and back to the Jag game is mind boggling the man did not do anything about the QB. The good QBs sit in the pocket till the last minute and / or read the blitz. Gabbert truly runs scared and it was illustrated last week on TV while he had decent pockets to sit in.

Sorry for the rant. First post, season ticket holder for ten years. Raised at the beach and been at the games since 1996. This is beyond absurd and had to let it out. Saying that, I will be at every home game and a fan for life...........whewwwww.

I've asked the same question numerous times. Good luck on getting a answer.
Again - Nobody available was a long term answer to our problems.  In fact most of them weren't even short term answers.  Gene Smith hurt us as well with Henne's ridiculous contract.  It's also not easy to have 3 QB's on a team at a time.  

If only we had Matt Cassell!!!!!!

Y'all really don't understand what long term sustainability entails. 

Gabbert has 7 interceptions and 1 TD if I am not mistaken this year.  The poor guy is very, very afraid, behind center.  Let's give him a break from the games.

Pages: 1 2