Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Your Favorite Horror Films.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

My overall favorite one would have to be Dawn of the Dead, but I think that The Grudge was the only one that actually made me freak out. I also really liked Cloverfield too. Even-though some might say that Cloverfield was more of a "Survival" film, than an actual scary movie.

28 Days Later.
Thankskilling

Quote:Thankskilling
Awesome.
Quote:Awesome.

A cinematic masterpiece
Me dancing at my brother's wedding reception.

With that aside, I just can't think of any horror movie that I like to watch every couple of years and is the best ever made, IMO, is Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Rather than complain about Kubrick's version, Stephen King should have kissed him on the mouth for making the story so much better.
I'm not sure why you even ask, unless you want me to decide which horrifying 2013 Jaguar game film is my favorite.

I love Kubrick's The Shining too, but I also love the original Dracula from like 1933.  Its cheesy, but I just love it.  Has anyone seen "The Road?"  I read the book and it was pretty freaky.  Wonder if the movie captured the creepiness of the book.

Quote:Me dancing at my brother's wedding reception.

With that aside, I just can't think of any horror movie that I like to watch every couple of years and is the best ever made, IMO, is Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Rather than complain about Kubrick's version, Stephen King should have kissed him on the mouth for making the story so much better.

Is that the original one? I love the Shining...it's the only Stephen King movie that I've actually enjoyed. As good as his books are...the movies for them are craptastic!! Pet Sematary?? What the heck was that??? It was if they were trying to make a comedy and forgot to put in the funny stuff!! :blink:

The Ring is the last scary movies that gave me the heebie jeebies. I like horror movies that do not rely on blood and guts to make a point.
Quote:I love Kubrick's The Shining too, but I also love the original Dracula from like 1933.  Its cheesy, but I just love it.  Has anyone seen "The Road?"  I read the book and it was pretty freaky.  Wonder if the movie captured the creepiness of the book.

I just read "The Road" a couple of months ago.  I couldn't imagine the movie being able to do the book justice.  They rarely do.
rosemary's baby  Ninja

The Thing

Quote:Is that the original one? I love the Shining...it's the only Stephen King movie that I've actually enjoyed. As good as his books are...the movies for them are craptastic!! Pet Sematary?? What the heck was that??? It was if they were trying to make a comedy and forgot to put in the funny stuff!! :blink:

The Ring is the last scary movies that gave me the heebie jeebies. I like horror movies that do not rely on blood and guts to make a point.

Yep, it's the original.  Stephen King was livid because Kubrick took artistic liberties with it.  I thought he vastly improved the story.  King eventually had the movie remade to model the book and it was a boring, made-for-TV yawn fest.

The Tommyknockers was another book with a train wreck movie.  Jimmy Smits?  Really? 

However, The Stand was made into a good movie.
Quote:The Thing

The 80's version with Kurt Russell.  Two thumbs up.  The last version was garbage.

Trivia question:  Who was in The Thing costume in the original 1951 version?
Quote:Yep, it's the original.  Stephen King was livid because Kubrick took artistic liberties with it.  I thought he vastly improved the story.  King eventually had the movie remade to model the book and it was a boring, made-for-TV yawn fest.

The Tommyknockers was another book with a train wreck movie.  Jimmy Smits?  Really? 

However, The Stand was made into a good movie.
I remember that "Shining" made for TV movie.  I think it was a mini-series starring that guy from "Wings."  Doesn't touch Kubrick though.  I read the book and saw the movie and can say that Kubrick's version is awesome.  Hard to make a movie as good/creepy as a book and he did it. Amazingly, The Shawshank Redemption, also King, was also a movie that was as good (or maybe better) than the book (short story).
Quote:The 80's version with Kurt Russell.  Two thumbs up.  The last version was garbage.

Trivia question:  Who was in The Thing costume in the original 1951 version?

Never saw it, heard good things though. I did not like the new one, but there were some cool parts, including the ending and how it led into the 1980s version with that awesome music.
Quote:I remember that "Shining" made for TV movie.  I think it was a mini-series starring that guy from "Wings."  Doesn't touch Kubrick though.  I read the book and saw the movie and can say that Kubrick's version is awesome.  Hard to make a movie as good/creepy as a book and he did it. Amazingly, The Shawshank Redemption, also King, was also a movie that was as good (or maybe better) than the book (short story).
Ah, I had forgotten about that.  The Green Mile was another.
Quote:I remember that "Shining" made for TV movie.  I think it was a mini-series starring that guy from "Wings."  Doesn't touch Kubrick though.  I read the book and saw the movie and can say that Kubrick's version is awesome.  Hard to make a movie as good/creepy as a book and he did it. Amazingly, The Shawshank Redemption, also King, was also a movie that was as good (or maybe better) than the book (short story).

My father was a voracious reader but he wasn't into the horror genre and simply couldn't understand all the hoopla over Stephen King and couldn't bring himself to read that stuff.  I bought him a copy of Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption and explained it wasn't King's usual literary fare but was an excellent representation of his writing brilliance.  He absolutely loved it.  The movie came out shortly afterwards and he loved that too.  He gained a deep respect for Stephen King after that and I actually got him to read a few of his horror books.  
Quote:My father was a voracious reader but he wasn't into the horror genre and simply couldn't understand all the hoopla over Stephen King and couldn't bring himself to read that stuff.  I bought him a copy of Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption and explained it wasn't King's usual literary fare but was an excellent representation of his writing brilliance.  He absolutely loved it.  The movie came out shortly afterwards and he loved that too.  He gained a deep respect for Stephen King after that and I actually got him to read a few of his horror books.  
A guy I work with is always talking about how King completely defined a genre of writing, and even though some of the dialogue is campy at times, his influence stretches far beyond the book shelves at the bookstore.  King has talent, that is for sure, not everything needs to read like Shakespeare to be considered good.  That being said, I remember the made for TV movie of IT.  I think it starred the guy from Night Court.  That was pretty scary, for a TV movie.  Oh, and I was surprised how creepy the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Jennifer Biel was.  
The Shining

Psycho

Alien

not really a horror, but  -  Shaun of The Dead   

( if a romantic comedy is a rom-com, then is a horror comedy a hor-com? )   Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 4