Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is It The Qb Or The Talent Around The Qb?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Lets Look at it from a QB situation.

If the Jaguars had Peyton Manning as their QB would they be a Playoff Contender?  I don't think so.  This offensive line is atrocious and the WR's not much better.  I think Blackmon is our best player on offense so this should help the QB Some.  I still don't think their is a QB in this league that could overcome poor pass protection, no run game, and receivers who are not great.  Even Shorts lost a ball or two that resulted in an int.  The offense has been playing with 2nd and 3rd string Te's so that does not help at all either.

Gabbert:  He is not and probably never will be the man.  Horrible pocket awareness, runs from ghost, stupd and inaccurate throws.  He does surprise with a nice drive or throw from time to time but very inconsistent. 

Henne:  Career back up.  With enough talent he could win some games. He is not the QB the Jaguars need or want.

Granted I do feel bad for these guys because they are on a team with very little talent.

My point:

We are almost certain to draft a replacement QB in next years draft.  He would almost certainly start right away.  Unless the Jaguars invest some big money in FA it's putting the teams new QB in a bad situation. 

yes

It's both. Useless thread.

If this team had Peyton Manning, yes they would be a playoff contender.

both

Its the QB.. TEBOW IS COMING!
Gabbert sucks 

I have to say it's the QB. Garrard had a worse line with worse weapons and won 5 games in 2008. The next 2 years had us a game away from the playoffs. With the same roster the next year Blaine could barely muster 4 games. The thing with dominate QBs is that they mask a lot of problems the team have. With Manning it looks like the team is clicking on all cylinders but put in Curtis painter and you have 62-0 on Sunday night football. The Blaire Whites and Edelmans of the world become stars. When your staring LT goes down teams still cant touch the QB. 

At that point it becomes plug and play. Lord forbid Dalton loses Green or Matt Leinart doesn't have Boldin and Fitzgerald to throw to.  

Its both. There really isn't any position you can say this team shines at. Maybe make a discussion for WR when Blackmon returns but I wouldn't call it elite. Not all on the QB but he is part of the problem.

Mike1989

The QB position is one of the vital positions in which an elite player can make the difference between a team being a play off contender and a number #1 pick contender. A prime example of this is the Indianapolis Colts. In 2010 they went 10-6, won the AFC South, and lost in the wild card game to the Jets with Peyton Manning. Cue the 2011 season without Peyton Manning they ended up with a league worse 2-14 record. In the 2012 season with newly drafted Andrew Luck under the center they finished the season with an 11-5 record, qualified for the play offs, and lost in the wild card game to the eventual Super Bowl champions. Now perhaps the Colts are a bad example because during the past three seasons they have not been devoid of talent at most positions. However, my point with this example is the difference that a talented and able quarterback can make to a team. With the elite Peyton Manning they were a play off contender, and when he went down injured and was replaced by career back ups, they were the worst team in the league. Put one of the most talented QBs to come out of college in recent history, and they were once again a play off team. A talented and able QB can make a big difference.

Now I don't think that we are QB away from being a play off team or a super bowl contender, but if you slot Peyton Manning into this team then this team would be significantly more competitive. By no means do we have an elite roster, but look at the difference he made at Denver. In 2012 Demaryius Thomas had almost a thousand more receiving yards on top of his 2011 total, and Eric Decker also became a thousand yard receiver. This season he's made Julius Thomas a productive tight end. That is just his impact on the passing game, and when you factor in Peyton's leadership and overall presence, he improves the whole team because they know that they have one of the best QBs of all time on their team, and that gives them the belief that they can go out there and beat anyone. 

So if we were lucky enough to have acquired Peyton Manning at the start of this season, then I honestly do believe that this team has the receiving talent to cause teams problems. When healthy and available he would have Cecil Shorts III, Justin Blackmon, Ace Sanders, Marcedes Lewis and MJD to target. Last season Shorts was almost a thousand yard receiver with Gabbert and Henne throwing to him, and already this season he has over three hundred receiving yards, with Peyton he would easily be a thousand plus yard receiver. Blackmon became a productive receiver with Henne throwing to him, give him to Peyton and Blackmon will realize his potential and become an excellent receiver. Lewis is by no means a great tight end, but Peyton could make him productive again. MJD has always been useful in the passing game and Peyton would find him. Ace Sanders has started pretty well with Gabbert and Henne, with Peyton he could be more productive. Basically, Peyton would get this offense ticking over without too much trouble. The protection would have to improve, and the defense would have to step up, but I am sure that if the team did have Peyton then they would make the required moves to sign the experience and quality needed to improve the O-Line and defense to the required standard - plus, the Peyton Manning factor would improve the performance of the current players as well. 

My point?

Obviously we don't have Peyton, an elite QB, or even a half decent QB. What we have is two QBs who are not good enough to be starting QBs in this league. I did hope that Gabbert could improve this season and take a step towards becoming the QB this team had hoped he would be, but so far he has not done that and will probably end up getting benched at some point. Any team that has ineffective QBs that are not good enough to start in this league are more likely to struggle than they are succeed, and that is regardless of whether they have the talent around them or not. For me, if this team had an elite QB like Peyton Manning  it would not be the worst team in the league, it would not have the worst offense, and we may have even won a game or two because that is what elite QBs can do - help teams win games and become good competitive teams. 

Quote:I have to say it's the QB. Garrard had a worse line with worse weapons and won 5 games in 2008.

That's fine and all, and I know the QB has been bad.  I saw him running from a clean pocket just like everybody else.  But I also saw a dropped TD pass, and 3 ints that bounced off receivers hands.  You just don't suck on this level alone, you need help to do that.
It indeed is the QB....if we are fortunate enough to land Bridgewater, you will quickly see just how much of our issues were largely QB related. 

Franchise QB's make the players around them better. If Peyton Manning was on this team....we win 10 games easily. The offensive line wouldn't have to hold their blocks for4 seconds, the WR's know 75% of the time when they're targeted that the ball would be delivered ACCURATELY.

We'll have the opportunity to draft a true FRANCHISE QB in the 14 draft, you'll see much improvement with this team.
Quote:If this team had Peyton Manning, yes they would be a playoff contender.

And Manning would be back in the hospital, 1st game of the season...

126jags4life

The only answer that makes sense is both..

Peyton Manning lead the Colts to the playoffs every year but his rookie season.  He got hurt and the Colts went 2-14. 

Its the QB. 

Tom Brady won the Super Bowl with Tim Dwight, Troy Brown, and a bunch of other Joe Blows.

Wes Welker was a dud with Miami.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make him a super star.

Matt Leinhart couldn't do diddly in Arizona, but Kurt Warner took them to the Super Bowl and almost won.

Trent Green never made the playoffs in St. Louis, but Kurt Warner came in a invented the GREATEST SHOW ON TURF.

Its the QB, and always will be the QB. 

Its not the O-Line, the RB's, or the WR's, or the TE's, or the FB's.   Its the QB

The defense is another story.  We are lacking a DE that can sack the QB around 15 to 20 times a season.

Quote:And Manning would be back in the hospital, 1st game of the season...
Yea because the old Colts teams always had great olines... Colts Olines always have been and still are atrocious.

Its the QB. An average QB needs a lot of talent around them to succeed. An all pro makes the players around him better.
if it was peyton manning yes would be a playoff contender

if it was brady breese ryan rodgers probably not

so both

Quote:Yea because the old Colts teams always had great olines... Colts Olines always have been and still are atrocious.

Its the QB. An average QB needs a lot of talent around them to succeed. An all pro makes the players around him better.

well for starters, he had perennial probowl lineman in center jeff Saturday and left tackle tarik glenn on his team over the years. My friend do your homework

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Pro_Bowl

Another vote for both.
Pages: 1 2 3 4