Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Few Bright Spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah, yeah. I know..... What bright spots, right?

Actually, there are a few things that may not make today seem all that great, but make the future look bright.

First, the secondary. I know everyone is going to say that they've had a ton of points put up on them, but what do you expect when the defense spends the majority of the game on the field. They are rookies, and all things considered, they aren't looking terrible. They're only going to get better as well. Look at guys like the safeties. Cyp and Evans look like they could be long term solutions at the safety positions. Evans is raw, but already looks like he is making progress. Cyp gets better each game. Blackmon may be the biggest surprise of the group, and has been very solid. He is also a very raw talent. Having been hurt for the first couple seasons of his NFL career, he is essentially a rookie, but with the advantage of a couple years of NFL coaching under his belt. It's a bit premature to say what Gratz will turn out to be, but if the preseason and first game is any indication, he looks to be a quality player. Add in Ball and Harris, and you have a pretty strong unit. A unit that may not be great right now, but shows signs of improvement every week, and with some help from other areas of this team, could turn into a strength down the road.

Another guy to keep an eye on is LaRoy Reynolds. The guy has been very good on special teams, and is pushing the starters for a spot already at the LB position. The question is whehter or not he can transition from ILB to OLB will determine if he sees the field soon. If not, he could be groomed to be the heir apparent to Poz.

I haven't gotten down on Joeckel yet. He hasn't played the greatest, but shows flashes. I really don't think we can grade him with the interior line playing they way they have, along with him being fairly new to a new level of competition and a position switch. I think time and reinforcemnt of positions around him will provide wonderful results.

Finally, Todman. I know he hasn't done much from the RB positon, but honestly, who has, and who would with the dismal line they're running behind. Clearly, the loss of Greg Jones has affected the running game as well. Still, after watching some of his runs leaves me believing that he could develop into a quality back. I saw a mock for 2014 recently, which had us taking a RB in the second at #33. I disagree. I think Todman could be at the very least a stopgap for a season or two, leaving those early picks for other areas.

So, amongst all the doom and gloom, there are some bright spots, and some good potential building blocks for the future. It all has to start somewhere. I see a start. I won't pile on with all the naysayers and act like there is no hope whatsoever. I see hope in the form of the future. It doesn't make me feel any better about today, or even this season, but it gives me hope for the future.

To,dr
You sir, are one heck of an optimist.

Quote:To,dr

You could have just said derp and saved yourself a keystroke......

Quote:You sir, are one heck of an optimist.

Or a realist. It's easy to sit and pizz vinegar. Fans have earned that right, so I won't knock the fact that it's happening. But to deny that there's anything positive going on is simply foolish. You don't have to go "rah-rah" over it. But to say there's nothing there at all says that you're not paying enough attention to individual efforts. They are there. They don't translate yet, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist. Smile
Jaguar good points today:

1)I still believe Cecil Shorts can play. When Blackmon gets back the Jaguars will have a very good 1-2 punch on the outside.

2) The Jaguar offensive line really did a good job with pass protection. This is why numbers don't always tell the story. There were a few sacks where Gabbert ran out of perfect pockets right into the defender. We have standard sacks. We have coverage sacks. After today I think we need a new category called 'QB happy feet" run out of the pocket sacks. BTW... Michael Vick gets sacked a lot doing this too. 

3) The Jaguar defense played fairly well. The dam didn't really break until the 3rd quarter. But that is going to happen when the offense can only stay on the field for 3 plays a series. The Jaguar defense had an interception. And they should have had a fumble recovery were it not for a terrible officiating call. Forcing 2 turnovers is a good day.

Marks has been a pleasant surprise this year - he's one of the few defensive linemen who gets consistent pressure on the QB. Geno Hayes has played pretty well. Both are Caldwell guys.

Quote:Marks has been a pleasant surprise this year - he's one of the few defensive linemen who gets consistent pressure on the QB. Geno Hayes has played pretty well. Both are Caldwell guys.

Agreed. Marks, more in the preseason than the regular season, but he is pulling his weight. I am intrigued by Deaderick, but haven't seen enough to know either way.

I remember Hayes coming out of FSU. I thought he was going to be a player. When Tampa drafted him, I wondered if he would be the next Derek Brooks. He has fallen far short of that, but has been ok. I am not sure that I would call him a bright spot at this point. He has been sort of average. Doesn't make a ton of plays, but doesn't cost a lot of plays either. The jury is still out on Hayes, at least with me.
The offensive line did a decent job of pass protecting today, Gabbert was just being scared. The run blocking however, was atrocious

Quote:Marks has been a pleasant surprise this year - he's one of the few defensive linemen who gets consistent pressure on the QB. Geno Hayes has played pretty well. Both are Caldwell guys.

I dont think he holds up against the run very well.  I've seen him get pancaked a few times.
All in all the defense really hasn't been playing bad.  They haven't been playing great by any means, but not bad.  How could a defense do anything at all with an offense that only has 3 first downs going into the fourth quarter?  This offense is the worst I have ever seen.  Young secondary playing good despite any resemblemce of a pass rush whatsoever. 

I thought the line played 100x better today, the sacks where on Gabbert and his happy feet today.

The people who are criticizing Caldwell should realize the players he brought in are playing better than most from the Gene Era.

Joekel - 2nd best lineman.

Cyp - Better than Landry

Evans - Better than Prosiniski (and looks like potential starter material from this game)

Marks/Miller - Better than Knighton

Geno Hayes - Better than whatever UDFA we had last year. Daryl Smith did not play. He is old and the team is building for the future, no point in keeping him around when a younger guy could be higher on the depth chart.

Alan Ball - Better than 2012 Mathis

Gratz - Replacement for often injured Cox (If you make a comment that Gratz is hurt right now, you are a moron)

Sanders - More potential than any slot WR we've had in a while.

Robinson - raw speed and athleticism, something Gene apparently didnt value in late round picks.

whatever TEs that are starting- Not Zach Miller

He couldnt make a potential upgrade for the long term at QB, so we have to be patient on that. But All the players that Caldwell brought in are playing well. I dont see how people fail to realize its the Gene Smith players that are the reason we are so awful.
LOLOL at marks/miller being better than knighton this season. 

from watching the first half, i liked what i saw from evans. our special teams did well and anger didnt outkick his coverage. and scobee well hes still a beaaaaaaaaaaaaast

Secondary looks promising. OL played better, but that interior will have to be rebuilt. Zero passrush and if it wasn't for Gabbert, Babin would've been the worst player on the field today. We haven't been able to pass in recent years, but now we can't run either. Offense is pitiful. Shorts had too many drops and useless Lewis is injured again.
Blackmon > Mathis + Ross rolled together in a washed up, slow, over the hill, injury prone abomination 

I thought Josh Evans looked pretty good today as well, him a Cyp sure look like they're gonna be good together. Blackmon looked good as well.
Quote:LOLOL at marks/miller being better than knighton this season. 

Marks for sure is way better than Knighton in every aspect, Miller is a better NT.

Our run D is so poor because of missed fits from all of the LBs and Cyp, not because of the DTs.
Quote:The people who are criticizing Caldwell should realize the players he brought in are playing better than most from the Gene Era.

Joekel - 2nd best lineman.

Cyp - Better than Landry

Evans - Better than Prosiniski (and looks like potential starter material from this game)

Marks/Miller - Better than Knighton

Geno Hayes - Better than whatever UDFA we had last year. Daryl Smith did not play. He is old and the team is building for the future, no point in keeping him around when a younger guy could be higher on the depth chart.

Alan Ball - Better than 2012 Mathis

Gratz - Replacement for often injured Cox (If you make a comment that Gratz is hurt right now, you are a moron)

Sanders - More potential than any slot WR we've had in a while.

Robinson - raw speed and athleticism, something Gene apparently didnt value in late round picks.

whatever TEs that are starting- Not Zach Miller

He couldnt make a potential upgrade for the long term at QB, so we have to be patient on that. But All the players that Caldwell brought in are playing well. I dont see how people fail to realize its the Gene Smith players that are the reason we are so awful.
Agree with everything just about. Hayes is OK, but not overwhelming. He is a better option than anything on the roster with the possible exception of Reynolds. But nobody knows if Reynolds can translate to an OLB spot.

As dim as things look these days, if you really think about it, there's a couple areas which being upgraded could turn this team right around. QB, of course. Interior O-line. Pass rush in some form or fashion, be it LB or DL. That, along with the spot upgrade here and there would likely yield amazing results.
I'd be happy with mediocrity ( sadly). But that isn't the case. As Cheech so eloquently said... I'm sick up and fed.