Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New American Muscle Car Company Launches Retro Modern Coupe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

New American muscle car company launches retro modern coupe
It’s retro American muscle from an all new company.

Michigan startup Equus Automotive has unveiled the production version of its Bass770, a slick coupe that features late-1960’s style wrapped around modern mechanicals.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/2...ern-coupe/

Looks nice, but it's more expensive than a Ferrari 458 and probably nowhere near as good.

looks sick but i'd rather rebuild a 66 mustang

Looks like and AMX/Mustang/Charger.  Meh.

Quote:Looks nice, but it's more expensive than a Ferrari 458 and probably nowhere near as good.

You are "that" guy that has to outdo everybody else ... no matter the conversation. :yes:

DF Friend: "I caught a Snook that weighed 4.20 pounds"
DF: "I caught Moby [BLEEP] ... got a stringer full of 'em. Had to let 11 go because the limit was only 420"

DF's Other Friend: "I am so drunk, I am going to have a bad hangover tomorrow"
DF: "I am on the liver transplant list ... again"

Ask anybody that hates you, and they will confirm my observation. ... Go ahead, ask me ... You are more of a homerbiscuit than homerbiscuit. Wink ... Face it, the reason you don't understand the "American" Muscle Car has nothing to do with the Car. :no:
Very 60's....I like it.
Quote: 

<div>You are "that" guy that has to outdo everybody else ... no matter the conversation. :yes:

DF Friend: "I caught a Snook that weighed 4.20 pounds"
DF: "I caught Moby [BLEEP] ... got a stringer full of 'em. Had to let 11 go because the limit was only 420"

DF's Other Friend: "I am so drunk, I am going to have a bad hangover tomorrow"
DF: "I am on the liver transplant list ... again"

Ask anybody that hates you, and they will confirm my observation. ... Go ahead, ask me ... You are more of a homerbiscuit than homerbiscuit. Wink ... Face it, the reason you don't understand the "American" Muscle Car has nothing to do with the Car. :no:

</div>
Joke's on you because I don't have any friends to outdo. Nor do I fish.
Love the car...just a tad bit out of my price range
Quote: 

<div> 

</div>
That can only be accomplished on landscape that's uphill in every direction and is blanketed in four feet of snow year round.  

Oh, and no shoes either...with less oxygen in the atmosphere with temperatures never dipping below 115 degrees...at night!
The radio has these knob-looking things. What are they for?

Quote:The radio has these knob-looking things. What are they for?

They're old school radio knobs  Left one is On/Off/Volume  Right one is for tuning (I know you're being sarcastic)
I dig it. If I could afford one, I'd probably be first in line. I think it's cool and admirable that they're going this route. The classic models and looks of the 60's and 70's are awesome, and to see these guys trying to revitalize that is very cool.

Quote:Ask anybody that hates you, and they will confirm my observation. ... Go ahead, ask me ... You are more of a homerbiscuit than homerbiscuit. Wink ... Face it, the reason you don't understand the "American" Muscle Car has nothing to do with the Car. :no:

I've actually been thinking about this over since you posted this and there is not a single element in cars in which American cars lead the world. Reliability, fuel efficiency, engine output, styling, build quality, handling, price. Almost every nation with a significant automobile industry leads the pack in something, but the Americans don's. That's seems strange to me.
Quote:I've actually been thinking about this over since you posted this and there is not a single element in cars in which American cars lead the world. Reliability, fuel efficiency, engine output, styling, build quality, handling, price. Almost every nation with a significant automobile industry leads the pack in something, but the Americans don's. That's seems strange to me.

Oh yeah?  What about fuel consumption and quantity produced?  Bam!  Thought so.
Quote:I've actually been thinking about this over since you posted this and there is not a single element in cars in which American cars lead the world. Reliability, fuel efficiency, engine output, styling, build quality, handling, price. Almost every nation with a significant automobile industry leads the pack in something, but the Americans don's. That's seems strange to me.

I like to exaggerate the false perception that you have some form of social stigma against all things American. I know you don't "really" hate all Americans, nor all things American. Just 99%.

I wouldn't expect you to agree, or I am not really sure you would understand this (take into account I have driven very few foreign designed muscle cars) ... An american muscle car is as much about the deep loud exhaust, the powerful rumble that you feel through the seat, and the steering wheel as it is about the raw power. Handling is a bit down the list, as the huge majority of us older generations were far more into straight line competitions when we were young working on our own cars. No one in my neighborhood put any time into cornering. I guess we also had limited access to anything not made in america, anyway.

Muscle Cars from my era are as well very nostalgic for older american men like myself. It just wouldn't be the same to have a nice quiet powerful car that corners really well. A Harley is way down the list when it comes to handling, speed, and comfort ... but they are the trophy to the majority of american motorcyclist, and it isn't just a status symbol. One day you will also enjoy opportunities to relive your youth. I wouldn't expect that to be a reinvention of an american car.
You tell him Sammy!

Quote: 

<div>I like to exaggerate the false perception that you have some form of social stigma against all things American. I know you don't "really" hate all Americans, nor all things American. Just 99%.

I wouldn't expect you to agree, or I am not really sure you would understand this (take into account I have driven very few foreign designed muscle cars) ... An american muscle car is as much about the deep loud exhaust, the powerful rumble that you feel through the seat, and the steering wheel as it is about the raw power. Handling is a bit down the list, as the huge majority of us older generations were far more into straight line competitions when we were young working on our own cars. No one in my neighborhood put any time into cornering. I guess we also had limited access to anything not made in america, anyway.

Muscle Cars from my era are as well very nostalgic for older american men like myself. It just wouldn't be the same to have a nice quiet powerful car that corners really well. A Harley is way down the list when it comes to handling, speed, and comfort ... but they are the trophy to the majority of american motorcyclist, and it isn't just a status symbol. One day you will also enjoy opportunities to relive your youth. I wouldn't expect that to be a reinvention of an american car.

</div>

I'm well aware of what American muscle cars means. Standing quarter miles, racing between the lights and all that is fine. I can even accept some reduction in handling performance in exchange for extra straight line speed. And if I money wouldn't be an issue the Mustang GT500 would be sitting right next to the Ferrari 458 and the Aston Martin in my garage.

But the first thing I would do to that Mustang is rip out the suspension and replace with a modern system because I can not fathom the mind of an engineer who puts 500hp in car and relies on a live rear axle to put that power on the road. It reeks of a job half finished. And it carries through to the rest of the car as well; the engine may put out a lot of raw power but initially it was a cast iron block instead of the milled aluminium used by any other competent car manufacturer, the suspension I already covered and the interior is made from the same type of cheap plastic you'd find in a $6,000 Kia. Sure, they fixed most of those issues in the latest models but they fixed them 5 years late.

Just as an example; Jeremy Clarkson rode a GT500 from London to Milan not too long ago and as he said at the time, modern cars have no problem doing highway speeds while still being comfortable. you can easily drive a modern car on the Interstate for a few hours and come out no more tired then you would working at a desk for the same amount of time. The Mustang by comparison wears you out, there's simply too much noise and too much vibration.
Quote:I'm well aware of what American muscle cars means. Standing quarter miles, racing between the lights and all that is fine. I can even accept some reduction in handling performance in exchange for extra straight line speed. And if I money wouldn't be an issue the Mustang GT500 would be sitting right next to the Ferrari 458 and the Aston Martin in my garage.

But the first thing I would do to that Mustang is rip out the suspension and replace with a modern system because I can not fathom the mind of an engineer who puts 500hp in car and relies on a live rear axle to put that power on the road. It reeks of a job half finished. And it carries through to the rest of the car as well; the engine may put out a lot of raw power but initially it was a cast iron block instead of the milled aluminium used by any other competent car manufacturer, the suspension I already covered and the interior is made from the same type of cheap plastic you'd find in a $6,000 Kia. Sure, they fixed most of those issues in the latest models but they fixed them 5 years late.

Just as an example; Jeremy Clarkson rode a GT500 from London to Milan not too long ago and as he said at the time, modern cars have no problem doing highway speeds while still being comfortable. you can easily drive a modern car on the Interstate for a few hours and come out no more tired then you would working at a desk for the same amount of time. The Mustang by comparison wears you out, there's simply too much noise and too much vibration.

Let's not forget that Jeremy Clarkson isn't a fan of anything American.  I've never driven a GT500 and JC just might be right, but whenever he offers his opinion on anything this side of the Atlantic I always take it with a large grain of salt.
Quote:Let's not forget that Jeremy Clarkson isn't a fan of anything American.  I've never driven a GT500 and JC just might be right, but whenever he offers his opinion on anything this side of the Atlantic I always take it with a large grain of salt.
True, but on the other hand Richard Hammond is a big muscle car fan and even he admits that muscle car (or Mustangs at least) aren't very good car.
Quote:True, but on the other hand Richard Hammond is a big muscle car fan and even he admits that muscle car (or Mustangs at least) aren't very good car.

Good for what?  Driving hours on the interstate which is the very antithesis of what a muscle car represents?
Pages: 1 2