Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Youth Teams Face Fines, Suspension For Winning Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Youth Teams Face Fines, Suspension For Winning Games
As scoreless games become more prevalent and players receive trophies for merely participating, it is increasingly difficult to teach children the important lessons associated with both winning graciously and losing with dignity. The Northern California Federation of Youth Football is dedicated to making those principles even more foreign to players in the league.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/youth-t...ing-games/

The lameness continues.  Kids on teams that dont win can gain more in many cases than teams that win all the time.

People need to quit being so soft on their kids.  If you were really a good parent, you wouldnt let your kid quit when the times get tough.

Quote:The lameness continues. Kids on teams that dont win can gain more in many cases than teams that win all the time.

People need to quit being so soft on their kids. If you were really a good parent, you wouldnt let your kid quit when the times get tough.

I agree! Your child will learn nothing about honoring their commitments if you let them bail when something gets hard or isn't "fun".
Doesn't surprise me anymore...

Parents don't/ can't discipline their kids, ....everyone gets a trophy, ....values/ morals out the window

and some people wonder why we have problems...

Personally I believe the favored team's quarterback should just be drugged at the halftime of every game; it's the only way to make things fair and prepare these kids for what life is going to throw at them -- unconditional civility.

If I were to say what I was thinking about this, I'd get a warning for being political

Quote:The lameness continues.  Kids on teams that dont win can gain more in many cases than teams that win all the time.

People need to quit being so soft on their kids.  If you were really a good parent, you wouldnt let your kid quit when the times get tough.

Quote:I agree! Your child will learn nothing about honoring their commitments if you let them bail when something gets hard or isn't "fun".

Kids should be forced to honor their sports commitments until the bitter end, even if their young age, or mental developmental stage had failed to fully allow them to understand what that commitment ultimately would entail. How does someone know for sure that they would, or wouldn't like mountain bike riding until that first spill across a gravel covered path, or at least doing it. Sometimes things look much funner than they turn out to be.

That is why I think we should all live the way we would demand that our children live, "do as I say, not how I do" should have no place in our households.

No longer should people be allowed to return an item they bought because they were sure they wanted it at the time of purchase, or found out it isn't all it was cracked up to be (called 20/20 hindsight). Everyone should be forced to follow through on their diet, and use that gym membership they signed up for on January the 2nd.

That's right, those New Years resolutions are going to be thought out just a little bit better now aren't they? Have you ever ordered a food item you later regretted? Oh, how about this one? "Until Death do us part" ... and hopefully that last one didn't happen after you met some hot chick while in Vegas ringing in the new year ... Your parents should have taught you better, but they were bad parents anyway, that's how this all happened to begin with. Tongue
Quote:Kids should be forced to honor their sports commitments until the bitter end, even if their young age, or mental developmental stage had failed to fully allow them to understand what that commitment ultimately would entail. How does someone know for sure that they would, or wouldn't like mountain bike riding until that first spill across a gravel covered path, or at least doing it. Sometimes things look much funner than they turn out to be.

That is why I think we should all live the way we would demand that our children live, "do as I say, not how I do" should have no place in our households.

No longer should people be allowed to return an item they bought because they were sure they wanted it at the time of purchase, or found out it isn't all it was cracked up to be (called 20/20 hindsight). Everyone should be forced to follow through on their diet, and use that gym membership they signed up for on January the 2nd.

That's right, those New Years resolutions are going to be thought out just a little bit better now aren't they? Have you ever ordered a food item you later regretted? Oh, how about this one? "Until Death do us part" ... and hopefully that last one didn't happen after you met some hot chick while in Vegas ringing in the new year ... Your parents should have taught you better, but they were bad parents anyway, that's how this all happened to begin with. Tongue

I don't know, maybe if kids were taught to follow though with their commitments none of the stuff you listed would ever happen.

Food for thought.... :whistling:

And weren't you just in Vegas? :woot:

Trying to tell us something? Wink
The "every kid gets a trophy" mentality pisses me off, to be blunt. It drives me freaking nuts. My son has played soccer now for about 5 seasons, same with basketball. Same team every season, and every kid gets a trophy.

IMO, you give a trophy to the MVP, or just don't do them. Sports are the Best teacher for kids when it comes to life down the road. It helps teach so many different things from working hard, working for what you want, time management, being accountable, being a good teammate, respect, dealing with failure and success, etc., etc.

These lessons are harder and harder to teach with the way youth sports has gone.

Not keeping score for the younger ages? Believe me, the kids know. Each kid keeps the score in their heads and say what it is after a goal, bucket, score etc. They know. Kids want to win/lose.

Quote:The "every kid gets a trophy" mentality ********************** me off, to be blunt. It drives me freaking nuts. My son has played soccer now for about 5 seasons, same with basketball. Same team every season, and every kid gets a trophy.

IMO, you give a trophy to the MVP, or just don't do them. Sports are the Best teacher for kids when it comes to life down the road. It helps teach so many different things from working hard, working for what you want, time management, being accountable, being a good teammate, respect, dealing with failure and success, etc., etc.

These lessons are harder and harder to teach with the way youth sports has gone.

Not keeping score for the younger ages? Believe me, the kids know. Each kid keeps the score in their heads and say what it is after a goal, bucket, score etc. They know. Kids want to win/lose.

Thats funny, you seem like the type that would have embraced the every kid gets a trophy mentality per your other takes on current society in posts on here...
Quote:Thats funny, you seem like the type that would have embraced the every kid gets a trophy mentality per your other takes on current society in posts on here...

Naw...he's a high school coach!! It's all about the winning! Wink
And when that big athletic kid beats your brains out, he is the only one that deserves a trophy, because his urinating coach says so. Had it not been for those sissy kids, who was he going to smash on his way to victory? Doesn't the sacrificial lamb deserve something, doesn't he?

Lamb ... :woot: ... I crack me up ... It's all a sham, wooly bully. :whistling:
Oh my gracious.

Quote: 

<div>And when that big athletic kid beats your brains out, he is the only one that deserves a trophy, because his urinating coach says so. Had it not been for those sissy kids, who was he going to smash on his way to victory? Doesn't the sacrificial lamb deserve something, doesn't he?

Lamb ... :woot: ... I crack me up ... It's all a sham, wooly bully. :whistling:

</div>

Exactly! I mean, when a coach sees his team is up by four touchdowns in a game that has eight minute quarters; what is he to do? Why, keep smashing! I mean, it's not like this is supposed to be fun for anyone or anything right? What better way to keep players from learning about football, than to keep smashing them into people who are better prepared than them!

Man, the audacity of a Youth League that is trying to promote fun, participation, and a little dignity into their program. Simply stomach turning!

Quote:Oh my gracious.

Exactly! I mean, when a coach sees his team is up by four touchdowns in a game that has eight minute quarters; what is he to do? Why, keep smashing! I mean, it's not like this is supposed to be fun for anyone or anything right? What better way to keep players from learning about football, than to keep smashing them into people who are better prepared than them!

Man, the audacity of a Youth League that is trying to promote fun, participation, and a little dignity into their program. Simply stomach turning!

I think at the end of this season all of the Jags are going to get trophies!!
Quote:I think at the end of this season all of the Jags are going to get trophies!!

Maybe that's the key! Youth Leagues should start cutting people!

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Sorry son, I know that you're nine years old and all, and this is your first time putting on gear; but you see, you're just not good enough to play. Yes yes, I know that you want to learn about football and all of that. And that the only thing you know about football is what you've seen on television and no one has taken the time to figure out what abilities you have, but that's besides the point. We as an organization are committed to winning around here, and we really can't be bothered with trying to figure out what it is that you do well. Best of luck son. Oh! And don't forget that this 'me telling you that you're not good enough without bothering to try and teach you anything' was a character building moment for you."

I think this is a great idea!!!
Quote:Maybe that's the key! Youth Leagues should start cutting people!

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"Sorry son, I know that you're nine years old and all, and this is your first time putting on gear; but you see, you're just not good enough to play. Yes yes, I know that you want to learn about football and all of that. And that the only thing you know about football is what you've seen on television and no one has taken the time to figure out what abilities you have, but that's besides the point. We as an organization are committed to winning around here, and we really can't be bothered with trying to figure out what it is that you do well. Best of luck son. Oh! And don't forget that this 'me telling you that you're not good enough without bothering to try and teach you anything' was a character building moment for you."

I think this is a great idea!!!

No...I was thinking the Jags should find a bunch of kids to fill out their roster! :thumbsup:
Quote:No...I was thinking the Jags should find a bunch of kids to fill out their roster! :thumbsup:

Think it'll work?
Quote:Think it'll work?

If not...imagine the stories those kids will get to tell for the rest of their lives!! :thumbsup:
Quote:If not...imagine the stories those kids will get to tell for the rest of their lives!! :thumbsup:

Through a feeding tube!
Quote:Through a feeding tube!

But the stories!!!! :woot:
Pages: 1 2