Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Colts Season Ticket Holder Reacts To The Trade And The Direction Of The Team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With regard to the recent big Colts trade everyone here in Indianapolis is generally very happy with the move. Nobody saw this coming. There are no leaks in the Colts front office, which really speaks to the high-level class organization in which they are.  Even our “tweeting” owner managed to keep his thoughts relatively quiet. That’s the sign of a quality first level franchise.

Trent Richardson fits exactly what the Colts want to do. Going forward, the Colts now have their QB (Luck), TE (Fleener), WR (Hilton) and RB (Richardson) now set. All of these players are under contract and 24 years old or younger. People can have different opinions about team owner Jim Irsay, but there is no question he does everything he can to try and win. And as Colts fan and season ticket holder since 1999, I really appreciate their effort. This team is reloading fast.

The Indianapolis Colts have been one of the biggest winners in the NFL over the last 15 years. At one point (2003-2009), they were 12-4 or better for 7 consecutive years, which is an NFL record unmatched by any team in NFL history.  They have won 10 or more regular season games 10 out of the last 11 years! They contend darn there every year in a league where free agency, the draft and the salary cap should foster level competition. The Colts have missed the playoffs just twice this decade (2001 and 2011). They won the Super Bowl for the 2006 season.  Because Indianapolis is a small non-glamour market, the team never gets the credit they deserve for the amazing excellence they bring to the field year after year.

The Colts are currently rebuilding now, as all teams must do eventually. But even during the rebuilding process, they had just one losing season. Last year they regrouped with a rookie QB  (Who should have been rookie of the year) and went 11-5 and made the playoffs (yet again). And management continues to be very active to do everything they can to try and win as evidenced by their shocking trade move this week. Over the last 2 years the Colts have been involved in more trade deals than any other team in the NFL.  They are smart. They are aggressive. They have an excellent track record.

I don’t think they gave up too much in the Richardson deal. If you look at draft picks, even first round selections are no better than 50/50 propositions. (They actually can be even less than that.) And the Colts already have a franchise QB. Where the Colts need help is along the O-line, and history shows you can find star caliber players at the O-line position in later rounds. So sending a first round pick for a player that has already proven to be a top flight RB in the NFL, and fills a glaring need, made perfect sense.

In addition, an argument could be made that the RB position is now undervalued.

It’s a passing league right?

Well let’s look at some of the top teams this year, shall we?

Seahawks-run based team

Texans-run based team

49ers-run based team

In addition, ask any Packer fan why they have not won a Super Bowl recently and they will tell you its because they don’t have a dominate rusher.  This year the Packer organization was all in to do whatever it took to find a running game. And they have Aaron Rodgers. The year the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2009 they were one of the best running teams in the NFL.  (Go ahead and Google it.) In 2011 they used their first round draft pick for RB Mark Ingram? Does anyone consider Sean Peyton stupid? Is he a man who doesn't understand modern offensive NFL football?

The Patriots despite having Tom Brady were actually a top rushing team last year. (Go ahead and Google that too.) Was Ray Rice not a key part of the Ravens Super Bowl Win? Are Foster and Tate not a huge piece of the Texans Super Bowl hopes this year?

Are we supposed to believe players like Shady McCoy, Matt Forte and Adrian Peterson are not highly valuable players?

But what about the Broncos? Well as a Colts fan I have seen this story many before. If they don’t find a running game, lets just wait and see if the year-end results match the current hype.

The Colts for years were the poster child for winning without a running attack. The one-year they did win a Super Bowl was the year RBs Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes played well over their heads. Most Colts fans would admit that RB Dominic Rhodes was the real MVP of their Super Bowl win.

By midseason, Trent Richardson is going to be a top 5 RB in the NFL.  He will not see 8 man fronts here like he did in Cleveland. For the first time in years the Colts will be a dual threat on offense.  Richardson will dominate by midseason. Starting with the Jaguar game in week 4, Richardson is going to be really good. He will also make the passing game much better. The Colts rank dead last in the NFL for RB receptions. Richardson is an excellent receiver. For the first time the Colts have a quality “check down.” The passing game will be better with Richardson on the field. A quality organization like the Colts are going to make the Browns look foolish by season's end. 

Being a Colts fan is great. It is very heartening to be a fan of a team that always has tremendously high expectations and truly does everything they can to be competitive. They are smart. They are aggressive. They are active. They play to win. That is a winning combination.

Colts owner Jim Irsay’s team is one of the top owners in all of sports. Based in a small midwestern market, he has built a consistent football powerhouse in the Nation's most competitive and popular sport.  Results matter. Everyone is accountable. This team strives to win. And with this weeks shocking move… they reminded us all of that again.
I don't think anyone is bemoaning this trade, except some of the Jag fans.

But it's all fun and games until we play and Andre Branch is introducing Luck to Mr. Turf.

Lol, I'm just kidding. You know that, right? Branch couldn't tackle a mild cold.
Richardson elite? That's a joke right?

I put on my 4th of July patriotic music disc and reread the OPs post. At one point I cried but at the end, I stood and clapped while the cannons went off.

J/K T-Rex, I think it was exactly the right thing for the Colts to do. The old adage in baseball is to build up the middle- C, P, SS-2B, CF- and the Colts have done the football version of that.
Quote:I put on my 4th of July patriotic music disc and reread the OPs post. At one point I cried but at the end, I stood and clapped while the cannons went off.

Laughing That's good! Well done!
Quote:Richardson elite? That's a joke right?

I think most in the NFL consider him to be a good RB. I believe in the Colts system, he will be considered an elite back by the end of this year.
You just traded a 1st round pick for a RB, lol I love the move clots keep it up!

Quote:You just traded a 1st round pick for a RB, lol I love the move clots keep it up!

They fail to recognize this.

Browns draft Richardson at 3 = Dumb

Colts can't draft a back to save their life = True

Browns trade Richardson for a 2014 pick basically getting a redo for 2013 and now have 2 first round picks = Genius

Colts lose a first round pick + get a back who apparently is limited by 8 man fronts + lose out on potentially good/great player in 2014 = Moronic.

Trading your future away = Is Gene working for the Colts now??.

Quote:They fail to recognize this.

Browns draft Richardson at 3 = Dumb

Browns trade Richardson for a 2014 pick basically getting a redo for 2013 and now have 2 first round picks = Genius

Colts lose a first round pick + get a back who apparently is limited by 8 man fronts + lose out on potentially good/great player in 2014 = Moronic.

Trading your future away = Is Gene working for the Colts now??.

Don't you tihnk that maybe Richardson was limited by playing for the Browns? Unfortunately I think the Dolts will turn this into the something as successful as the Suck for Luck campaign, ie they Luck into something big.
I don't necessarily view this as a bad move by the Colts. It could really pan out for them. The issue is, what do you do when you find out Richardson doesn't run well behind that aweful line either?

Ignoring the usual colts ad from Rex (welcome back, btw), and getting to the point:

2 points, actually.

1.  If Richardson pans out, turns out to be the missing piece, and the colts make the playoffs, they'll have traded a mid 20s first round pick for a #3 overall.  Good value.

2. If Richardson gets hurt again, as he is wont to do, it'll be another wasted early round pick for the colts.

So yeah, it's all about Richardson's health.

Quote: 

2. If Richardson gets hurt again, as he is wont to do, it'll be another wasted early round pick for the colts.

Makes you wonder if the browns med staff knows more than indy found out in their physical....

Wouldn't be the first time a team unloaded a first rounder with an injury history that ends up making a major negative impact on his career
Good addition for the Colts, but a 1st for a RB with an injury history is questionable. Like this more than Bjorn. Werner would be a serviceable 4-3 LE, but that doesn't fit the Colts 3-4
Quote:Ignoring the usual colts ad from Rex (welcome back, btw), and getting to the point:

2 points, actually.

1.  If Richardson pans out, turns out to be the missing piece, and the colts make the playoffs, they'll have traded a mid 20s first round pick for a #3 overall.  Good value.

Good points. I agree the deal depends on Richardson's health. This is my top concern. But in the NFL injuries happen. I believe you can't be scared to make moves based on injuries. I am strong believer in upside value. And Richardson has that. You just have to hope for the best.

Thank you very much. Glad to be back. I can't believe I was away for this long. Time goes by waaaaaay to fast! :thanks:
"Going forward, the Colts now have their QB (Luck), TE (Fleener), WR (Hilton) and RB (Richardson) now set"

Luck hasn't proved himself yet despite having lots of promise.

Fleener looks a bit of a bust

Hilton looks good but is he more of a complimentary receiver?

Richardson needs to prove a lot before he can be considered set

Quote: 

That is like saying the Jaguars can't draft a DE to save their life = True

Quote:"Going forward, the Colts now have their QB (Luck), TE (Fleener), WR (Hilton) and RB (Richardson) now set"

Luck hasn't proved himself yet despite having lots of promise.

Fleener looks a bit of a bust

Hilton looks good but is he more of a complimentary receiver?

Richardson needs to prove a lot before he can be considered set

Still Jealous, aren't you. :yes:
Quote:That is like saying the Jaguars can't draft a DE to save their life = True

Still Jealous, aren't you. :yes:

Won't be when we beat you guys and drop you to 1-3.

Was jealous a bit during manning era yes
<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;">lastonealive, on 22 Sept 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:[Image: snapback.png]

Quote:<p style="margin-left:0px;">"Going forward, the Colts now have their QB (Luck), TE (Fleener), WR (Hilton) and RB (Richardson) now set"

<p style="margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Luck hasn't proved himself yet despite having lots of promise.

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Fleener looks a bit of a bust

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Hilton looks good but is he more of a complimentary receiver?

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Richardson needs to prove a lot before he can be considered set

Usually when you transfer out of an era like what the Colts had it can sometimes take a full generation to rebound. Marino left the Dolphins in 1999. Its now 2013, and the Dolphins only now have hopes of a legit replacement.

I am hoping for a transfer similar to this.

Montana to Young

Farve to Rodgers

Manning to Luck???? We will have to wait and see. But so far, so good. Lets not forget Luck came to a team that was 2-14 and went 11-5 the VERY next year. I would call that a good sign!

Colts still have a long way to go to being one of the top tier teams in the NFL and trading a 1st round pick is not the way to get there.  A weak offense line, an awful defense, and a #1 WR who will need to be replaced pretty soon are a few keys keeping them in the "better than average" category. Jury is still out on Luck. Houston still the class of the division but will never win anything as long as Schaub is their QB.

Jags will have the best QB in the division next season and are in the best position for AFCS dominance even though it may not appear that way at the moment.

Quote:Colts still have a long way to go to being one of the top tier teams in the NFL and trading a 1st round pick is not the way to get there.  A weak offense line, an awful defense, and a #1 WR who will need to be replaced pretty soon are a few keys keeping them in the "better than average" category. Jury is still out on Luck. Houston still the class of the division but will never win anything as long as Schaub is their QB.

Jags will have the best QB in the division next season and are in the best position for AFCS dominance even though it may not appear that way at the moment.

I agree that the Jaguars could rebound quickly. I like their skill position players. MJD, Shorts and Blackmon when he returns are very good. The fact that the Jaguars aren't better offensively is proof of the value of the QB position. It also means that with a good QB, the team could get good real fast. Luck took the Colts from 2-14 to 11-5.  WIth a good QB a similar one year jump is possible in Jacksonville.

I don't think you have to be an elite team to win the AFC. The power has shifted. The NFC is better.  Today in the AFC "very good" is good enough. And when you go 11-5 and play the Super Bowl Champions rather well on the road in your first ever playoff game... by definition you are not that far away from being at least "very good." 

The Houston Texans are the best team in the division. But make no mistake, the Texans are not the Colts of 2003-2009 when there basically was no hope for anyone other team.

Pages: 1 2 3