Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Confused on something about Gus Bradley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why was he such an effective defensive coordinator if he is always this "Rah Rah" buddy buddy type of coach with no discipline?

I realize it's different as a head coach that you especially can't be that way but wouldn't it be the same as a defensive coordinator too? How did his defensive unit not become his buddies that lacked discipline as we are seeing here? Or how did he get away with not making halftime adjustments with his defensive unit like he fails to do as our head coach?

Is it just because he was kept in line and overruled all the time by a head coach?

That just hit me and left me somewhat confused.

The success of the Seattle defense had very little to do with Bradley being there. The reason its so good is because it has 5 all pros (Sherman/Thomas/Kam/Wagner/Bennett) who know the scheme inside and out and play in roles that fit their style of play perfectly.

Put 5 all pros in any defensive scheme and it will be very good.
He went from "Do your job" to "Getting better everyday". He fooled everyone including Caldwell and Khan.
Yeah self awareness is probably his biggest flaw as a HC. Think he got too caught up on the idea of being Seattle south and him being a Pete Carroll type of coach without actually taking into account how it would work in practice.
That Seattle defense really took a hit after he left....
[Image: tumblr_majw58fYCn1qk82m8o1_1280.jpg]

Unfortunately, all the red flags were there from jump.  I gave him a pass for the first 2 years, even with all the warning signs.  The terrible preperation, the poor execution, the bone headed calls in game...  But it was a complete rebuild, so I just chalked it up to the rebuild.

But 2015 was clear to anyone with eyes that cared to be objective that Gus Bradley was not going to be successful as a head coach in Jacksonville.  Last year was the year the verified the red flags and fears alot of people had.  This team should have won the division last year.  The fact that we didn't should have been indication enough that another direction was needed.

Unfortunately, Gus is not the Head Coach type.  He needs direction and a strong figure to handle the intricacies of running an entire team.  It was clear last year.  The reason Gus was successful in Seattle had to do with his players, sure.  But the fact that there was a smart and well seasoned head coach with alot of experience that took the burdens of the "big picture" off Gus let him be the type of coordinator that kept his players engaged and flying on the field.

The type of coach Gus is makes for a pretty good Coordinator.  It makes for a terrible HC.  Compound that with a complete gut job and rebuild, and we have what we have here.

Any 4-3 scheme that doesn't rely on blitzing, their achilles heal will be lack of a pass rush.  The Tampa 2 Dungy built would be nothing without Sapp and Rice.  JDR and Mike Smiths defense fell apart when it couldn't get the rush it needed.  The Giants defense that pass rushed its way to super bowl glory fell apart when it lost its pass rush.  This team has not had a consistent pass rush since Bradley has gotten here and thats why the defense has failed.  This defense is fast and athletic which it hasn't been in years, but it still lacks the consistent rush.  One thing all of those Seattle defenses have had is a pass rush and speed.

This defense is not a smoke and mirrors defense, its an "it is what it is" defense.  Its going to give you about 5 looks a game and it will try and be fundamentally sound.  It gives up plays when players in it try and make plays outside of the scheme.  

If I were head coach going into next season Jack and Smith would start, Poz would be gone or a backup, another pass rusher would be drafted.  The big end side of the line would be gone.  All season Yannick would start at RE and Fowler/new draftee at LE.  If the otto was still a position Fowler would man it on downs we weren't in Nickel and the rookie pass rusher would start in his place.  The entire philosophy of stopping the run would be stopping it on the way to the passer like the Colts tried to do for years.

Too oftentimes this defense is built to read and react to what the offense does, I would prefer it to be aggressive to a fault.

Quote:That Seattle defense really took a hit after he left....

Exactly.
Quote:Unfortunately, all the red flags were there from jump.  I gave him a pass for the first 2 years, even with all the warning signs.  The terrible preperation, the poor execution, the bone headed calls in game...  But it was a complete rebuild, so I just chalked it up to the rebuild.

But 2015 was clear to anyone with eyes that cared to be objective that Gus Bradley was not going to be successful as a head coach in Jacksonville.  Last year was the year the verified the red flags and fears alot of people had.  This team should have won the division last year.  The fact that we didn't should have been indication enough that another direction was needed.

Unfortunately, Gus is not the Head Coach type.  He needs direction and a strong figure to handle the intricacies of running an entire team.  It was clear last year.  The reason Gus was successful in Seattle had to do with his players, sure.  But the fact that there was a smart and well seasoned head coach with alot of experience that took the burdens of the "big picture" off Gus let him be the type of coordinator that kept his players engaged and flying on the field.

The type of coach Gus is makes for a pretty good Coordinator.  It makes for a terrible HC.  Compound that with a complete gut job and rebuild, and we have what we have here.
Based on who was left. If Jaguars did not wrap up Bradley.  Then who would of been here Chip? 
Quote:Unfortunately, all the red flags were there from jump. I gave him a pass for the first 2 years, even with all the warning signs. The terrible preperation, the poor execution, the bone headed calls in game... But it was a complete rebuild, so I just chalked it up to the rebuild.

But 2015 was clear to anyone with eyes that cared to be objective that Gus Bradley was not going to be successful as a head coach in Jacksonville. Last year was the year the verified the red flags and fears alot of people had. This team should have won the division last year. The fact that we didn't should have been indication enough that another direction was needed.

Unfortunately, Gus is not the Head Coach type. He needs direction and a strong figure to handle the intricacies of running an entire team. It was clear last year. The reason Gus was successful in Seattle had to do with his players, sure. But the fact that there was a smart and well seasoned head coach with alot of experience that took the burdens of the "big picture" off Gus let him be the type of coordinator that kept his players engaged and flying on the field.

The type of coach Gus is makes for a pretty good Coordinator. It makes for a terrible HC. Compound that with a complete gut job and rebuild, and we have what we have here.

I'm kinda glad it worked out the way it did. This year there could be a slew of seasoned, proven, qualified candidates available from Mike McCarthy to Marvin Lewis to possibly even a guy like Tomlin. It would've been slim pickings last year.
Quote:Based on who was left. If Jaguars did not wrap up Bradley.  Then who would of been here Chip? 

I'm not sure if the Jaguars could have convinced Jay Gruden to become the team's HC ,  when considering the Redskins interest,  and eventually hiring him for that job.  Gruden though was reportedly interviewed for the Jaguars HC job in 2013.   Also,  then St. Louis Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was reportedly interviewed for the job.   Based on the job Gruden is doing with the Redskins,  a case can be made that he would have been a good choice for the Jaguars if it turned out that way.  
Quote:  I'm not sure if the Jaguars could have convinced Jay Gruden to become the team's HC ,  when considering the Redskins interest,  and eventually hiring him for that job.  Gruden though was reportedly interviewed for the Jaguars HC job in 2013.   Also,  then St. Louis Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was reportedly interviewed for the job.   Based on the job Gruden is doing with the Redskins,  a case can be made that he would have been a good choice for the Jaguars if it turned out that way.  
But our situation was absolutely pathetic. And our GM  was a first time one.  Who has proven can select right.   But that is now.  If Dave were to be fired he would be picked up so quick not even funny.  No one outside of our fan base blames dave.  A matter of fact many friends who root for other teams.  Would love him as gm.    At the end of the day Jags needed a qb.  He just may of picked the wrong one.  

But he landed between fa and draft  2 to three dynamite receivers,  a good rb, two great line backers, a really good pass rusher, great depth on d,  2 really good corners, a top notch safety,  and good depth on o line. 

Ya cant hit um all.  And well poor coaching,  However he did not know what to look for.  And had to have someone willing to work with a bunch of left overs. So the pickins at that time was thin. 

No well known coach would of took that situation based on a gamble of First Year gm.  So I will say Dave is not the issue.  And the Jags be foolish to let him go. I mean even the backups give their all and show heart.  Which depth was a huge concern for along time in Jax. 

So while a case can be made for Gruden on one end.  I do not see that tree at that time going off a gamble.  

Quote:But our situation was absolutely pathetic. And our GM  was a first time one.  Who has proven can select right.   But that is now.  If Dave were to be fired he would be picked up so quick not even funny.  No one outside of our fan base blames dave.  A matter of fact many friends from over 16 different teams.  Would love him as gm.    At the end of the day Jags needed a qb.  He just may of picked the wrong one.  

But he landed between fa and draft  2 to three dynamite receivers,  a good rb, two great line backers, a really good pass rusher, great depth on d,  2 really good corners, a top notch safety,  and good depth on o line. 

Ya cant hit um all.  And well poor coaching,  However he did not know what to look for.  And had to have someone willing to work with a bunch of left overs. So the pickins at that time was thin. 

No well known coach would of took that situation based on a gamble of First Year gm.  So I will say Dave is not the issue.  And the Jags be foolish to let him go. I mean even the backups give their all and show heart.  Which depth was a huge concern for along time in Jax. 

So while a case can be made for Gruden on one end.  I do not see that tree at that time going off a gamble.  

Related to part of what you mentioned,  the first time GM ( Bob Quinn ) of my favorite team hired Jaguars Director of College Scouting Kyle O' Brien as the Lions leading Personnel person in the organization under Quinn.   Being that Dave Caldwell hired O' Brien in the first place,  at least one NFL organization recognizes good work by Dave Caldwell.

Though I certainly agree that Dave Caldwell has made some very good personnel additions to the Jaguars roster,  his record with 1st Round picks prior to the 2016 Draft is right now at best highly questionable.   That much more considering the players the Jaguars passed up in those drafts.  

Looking at the situation objectively,  one can certainly make a good case for Dave Caldwell to be retained.  Yet,  what happens though if Caldwell is kept and during the interview process, good HC candidates tell him that they prefer the Jaguars move on from Blake Bortles if hired as HC?    If Caldwell insists on Bortles being the Jaguars top long term QB option and it costs the Jaguars a high quality HC candidate,  would it be better if Caldwell is replaced,  with the new GM having no attachment to Bortles?   

I'm not writing off Bortles.  But coaches who are highly qualified to evaluate Bortles might not have confidence he's the long time answer.    Right now,  there are at least as many questions with Bortles than potential long term answers.  
Think its safe to say as a head coach, he's an unmitigated disaster.  :yes:

Quote:  Related to part of what you mentioned,  the first time GM ( Bob Quinn ) of my favorite team hired Jaguars Director of College Scouting Kyle O' Brien as the Lions leading Personnel person in the organization under Quinn.   Being that Dave Caldwell hired O' Brien in the first place,  at least one NFL organization recognizes good work by Dave Caldwell.

Though I certainly agree that Dave Caldwell has made some very good personnel additions to the Jaguars roster,  his record with 1st Round picks prior to the 2016 Draft is right now at best highly questionable.   That much more considering the players the Jaguars passed up in those drafts.  

Looking at the situation objectively,  one can certainly make a good case for Dave Caldwell to be retained.  Yet,  what happens though if Caldwell is kept and during the interview process, good HC candidates tell him that they prefer the Jaguars move on from Blake Bortles if hired as HC?    If Caldwell insists on Bortles being the Jaguars top long term QB option and it costs the Jaguars a high quality HC candidate,  would it be better if Caldwell is replaced,  with the new GM having no attachment to Bortles?   

I'm not writing off Bortles.  But coaches who are highly qualified to evaluate Bortles might not have confidence he's the long time answer.    Right now,  there are at least as many questions with Bortles than potential long term answers.  

If both parties are being objective and the potential coach cited validated reasons for feeling the way he does (which right now are legion), I think the only rational solution would be to compromise. Draft or sign a viable replacement for Bortles, allow Bortles the opportunity (and actual coaching) to attempt to fix his issues and let these two duke it out in camp for the starting gig. If Blake legitimately steps his game up and beats out the brought in guy. We win. If the brought in guy is better and ends up starting. We win.

Either way, this is unquestionably the best course of action as I see it regardless of who the coach is. The only thing that would get in the way of this coming to pass is ego.

Quote:Why was he such an effective defensive coordinator if he is always this "Rah Rah" buddy buddy type of coach with no discipline?

I realize it's different as a head coach that you especially can't be that way but wouldn't it be the same as a defensive coordinator too? How did his defensive unit not become his buddies that lacked discipline as we are seeing here? Or how did he get away with not making halftime adjustments with his defensive unit like he fails to do as our head coach?

Is it just because he was kept in line and overruled all the time by a head coach?

That just hit me and left me somewhat confused.

Remember that monte kiffin told seattle that he had a "once in a lifetime can't miss coaching candidate"

...you know who else I've heard say similar stuff about? One of my managers when talking about his sorry [BLEEP] assistant manager

doing everything he can to get her promoted so he can get her trash the heck out of his department
If Von Miller were on this team, we'd have him on the bench because he really doesn't fit our scheme.

Quote:  Related to part of what you mentioned,  the first time GM ( Bob Quinn ) of my favorite team hired Jaguars Director of College Scouting Kyle O' Brien as the Lions leading Personnel person in the organization under Quinn.   Being that Dave Caldwell hired O' Brien in the first place,  at least one NFL organization recognizes good work by Dave Caldwell.

And I do agree first round other then Ramsey which was a gift.  However.  Those other two picks were based off of needs rather then BAP.  Which Dave stated was like how he wanted to draft.   But had no qb and had no pass rush.  

While I stated could be Harvey 2.0 which tons disagreed and said I was a moron etc.  And personally I wanted Teddy or Marriotta. and hardly anyone knew who blake was. 

Yes we know what happened to teddy and still rather of had Marriotta.  Had the other Car not played for tin horns maybe he could of been a Jag. And yes I also was in favor for geno.  Which I admit I was wrong.  But not like I was the only one. 
Quote:If both parties are being objective and the potential coach cited validated reasons for feeling the way he does (which right now are legion), I think the only rational solution would be to compromise. Draft or sign a viable replacement for Bortles, allow Bortles the opportunity (and actual coaching) to attempt to fix his issues and let these two duke it out in camp for the starting gig. If Blake legitimately steps his game up and beats out the brought in guy. We win. If the brought in guy is better and ends up starting. We win.

Either way, this is unquestionably the best course of action as I see it regardless of who the coach is. The only thing that would get in the way of this coming to pass is ego.

Ideally for the Jaguars,  what you mentioned would seem like the best case scenario.   What's the chances of this happening,  given human nature,  is a different question.

There's no question from my perspective that at the very least,  legitimate competition for Blake Bortles is needed.   As much as I respect the type of role Chad Henne has provided the Jaguars,  he's not good enough to effectively push Bortles to a higher level and/ or replace him if necessary if the team's goal is to at least make the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2