Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Worst Local Radio Personality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When you think about the amount of local shows in Jacksonville, it is amazing how terrible the quality is of most of these shows. This will be a tough one but who is the worst local personality?

In no particular order.

Hacker (worst voice on radio...in the world?)

Fat Tony (brings nothing to the Dempsey show)

Jeff Prosser (uncomfortably angry, most hateful definitely)

Tony Modica (replaced Prisco, does this guy own 930 or something?)

What say you?

Prosser is one of me.

I stopped listening to 1010xl before 1 so I don't have an opinion on hacker or the other guy. Haven't heard good things though.

Fat tony just kind of rambles about nothing.
Tony Modica is the worst ... and least prepared.

I like Hacker.  He may be the most prepared on the air.

Dempsey is probably the one that I could see making it big in a much bigger market.

Ballou and Frangie are decent but I still like Ballou when he was solo on the air (venting about Bowden -- totally hilarious) !!!   Being from Pittsburgh, I hate it when Frangie states "my Pirates" or "my Steelers" when he hasn't lived there for 1 day.

Prosser and Hicken are great.

Chad Scott and Kristi Dosh my be my favorites -- very insightful.

Our female representation of Jessica B and Donna M are good.

I'm going to throw in Tom McMannus -- I really liked him and Widell during football season.  I grew a little tired of the repeated "suck it up" infomercials..

Quote:Tony Modica is the worst ... and least prepared.

The only time I hear Modica is when I accidentaly turn it on or I was listening to something else on the station and I start my car and his show is on. I don't know how anybody at the station can hear his show and think it is listenable.

I listened one day for a minute and I think he was just reading off stats from mlb.com. The conversation was basically, "hey player x from the White Sox is batting .320. That's pretty good".
Prosser used to get on my nerves, but I get a kick out of hearing him fired up. I know he’s pulling for the Jags at heart even though his rants can be a little over the top.

I have a love/hate relationship with Frangie/Ballou. Every now and then you'll get a gem out of their show, but sometimes there's too much Gator talk and/or PGA Tour for my liking. For the most part, they are entertaining and I appreciate that they have adequate Jags coverage.

Chad Scott really surprised me when he joined the 1010XL crew, I agree that he is very insightful and well-spoken. 

Another worthy mention would be Ryan O'halloran, for continuing the legacy of awesome Times-Union beat reporters. Not only does he do a wonderful job of writing articles and post-game analysis, but his on-air personality is solid.

I get tired of the "ITB" references, and that they've moved away from a call format.  But then, if you don't have a wealth of good callers, maybe that's for the better.

They mostly follow a similar formula.

Hammer out the talking points and who's taking which sides in the production meeting.

Package each show with it's own unique filler.  Intros/exits with signon/signoff music and sometimes obscure sound bites (Dempsey's "pretty sure" clip is plain awful even though I probably like his show best, and doing Geico's hump day on Weds is nice.)

Have recurring bits that set up the topical arguments laid out in the production meeting (three point stance, countdown, five at five, etc.)  Play horrible background music on a loop while hosts argue between one another over top of said bad music.  Insert the occasional filler that chews up time between participants (listening to the coundown is painful, "one... one... one... one... one... one... one... one.." ugh...)

Frangie's show tends to go off on egotistical tangents, but they can end up producing funny stories/sound bites and play some classic bumper music (though they almost ruin it by having to tell you how cool their bumper music is.)

I like Martineau, Dempsey, Joe C, and Hicken the best.  I also like Hacker for all the stuff he catches from/dishes with everyone, Ballou has his moments and Chadd is good.  The Cat is always a great guest of any show.

I guess the guys I like least... probably has to be Lamm and Prosser.  Don't particularly care for Frangie, but his team carries him well.  Don't care for the lispy Jay Gray either.  Dunno if he was tired or perhaps almost got fired for it, but his coverage of TPC sounded like he was loaded (no, smashed) on the air.  His everyday lisp turned into heavy slurring and rambling.

Does anybody listen to Tony Modica?

J.P. Shadrick. <blech>

Someone on the board once likened Lamm's voice to a talking piece of fried chicken, I always crack up at that thought.

Quote:Someone on the board once likened Lamm's voice to a talking piece of fried chicken, I always crack up at that thought.

Thats great...and true.
I happen to notice Cole Pepper on the radio last night calling a Bolles football game. Sounded like he was calling the game on a walkie talkie. What a step down from covering an NFL team.

I guess the new board had to have its requisite thread slamming 1010's radio personalities.
Hacker has a voice made for miming. He's terrible. That whiny, nasal, rambling voice is nauseating.

Frangie can't state a point once. He must reiterate it 3 times in different format before he stops. And true about his Pittsburgh allegiance being sickening.

The rest of them are ok in my opinion except for the pronunciation of seventy or seven by David Lamm. He says, "sebndy or sebn" it's disgusting for a person who makes their living by talking to mispronounce words.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:The rest of them are ok in my opinion except for the pronunciation of seventy or seven by David Lamm. He says, "sebndy or sebn" it's disgusting for a person who makes their living by talking to mispronounce words.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

I feel bad for Lamm, it's hard to talk around a biscuit.
Modica is hilariously bad and Frangie, As Chief says, can't say anything without it taking 10 minutes because everything must be repeated at least 3 times.  I mean, I mean, I mean, this is what I'm saying, This is what I'm saying....

Quote:I feel bad for Lamm, it's hard to talk around a biscuit.

I don't know about a biscuit...but it always sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles!!!
Quote:I don't know about a biscuit...but it always sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles!!!

That's what Frangie sounds like to me.
Quote:That's what Frangie sounds like to me.

He does too!!
Quote:Modica is hilariously bad and Frangie, As Chief says, can't say anything without it taking 10 minutes because everything must be repeated at least 3 times.  I mean, I mean, I mean, this is what I'm saying, This is what I'm saying....

I think Frangie is part owner of the station, so he ain't going anywhere.

As for their lineup, it is sort of laughable. It is basically the GOB network of Jax sports media. When was the time that a "fresh face" in a non-obscure timeslot hit the airwaves on 1010xl?
Prosser is ... OK moving on

Modica is... well, in his defense, it's hard to do a show on a subject you know nothing about  (like football for instance).  But nonetheless it's pretty impressive to do an entire show considering he really hasn't a clue (you know, what he's talking about, and stuff)...

Speaking of Modica, his sidekick is ... well I do like the fact that they hired Chris Griffin from Family Guy to be on the show but it just feels like he's better as a cartoon than a sports radio host.
Pages: 1 2 3