Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Guard and Center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are we going to do at Guard/Center? Draft? F/A? Would like to hear some opinions on this.
Probably both.  I don't know what guards are scheduled to be free agents, but if we are going to spend anything... this would be the area to do it.

The draft is more risky imo.  Look at DeCastro.  He was supposed to be some great talent and an amazing guard.  He has been awful.  

Quote:Probably both. I don't know what guards are scheduled to be free agents, but if we are going to spend anything... this would be the area to do it.

The draft is more risky imo. Look at DeCastro. He was supposed to be some great talent and an amazing guard. He has been awful.

I think Decastro has only played in a handful of games because he's been injured though I wouldn't write him off as awful just yet

just looked it up he's only played in 6 games in his career. And last year he tore his PCL, dislocated his kneecap, and had a partially torn patellar tendon.
Quote:What are we going to do at Guard/Center? Draft? F/A? Would like to hear some opinions on this.
yes
Quote:I think Decastro has only played in a handful of games because he's been injured though I wouldn't write him off as awful just yet

Ok, maybe he will get better.  He might not BE awful, but he has played awful.

I think if you have a huge need, you need to look at veteran FAs first.  I'm not a fan of drafting a 2-3 year plan at O-line only.  It needs to be fixed for this team to make good progress.  That is why I say 'both'.
It depends on the college prospects at the respected positions. Meester has slowed tremendously while Rackley may not be 100%. Uche is solid...

NH3...
Quote:Ok, maybe he will get better.  He might not BE awful, but he has played awful.

Castro's career might've ended before it began, that injury was hideous.
All three interior line positions need to be addressed. It will take both FA and the draft to get it accomplished.
Since we are going zone blocking i'd expect to see it done in FA and the mid to later rounds of the draft. Looking at other Zone blocking teams around the league and you will see they have built lines with smaller athletic O-lineman mostly taken 3rd rd and later after the more premiere classic big uglies go in rounds 2 and 1.

gimme a mid to high lvl FA Right Guard from a team currently zone blocking to get some stability next to Joeckel and go LG in the 3rd or 4th. Center in whichever round (3 or 4) that you didnt take the LG.

Yes i know Uche would be gone given this route. He was good for a long time but he is not an athletic zone blocker in any way or form.

Quote:What are we going to do at Guard/Center? Draft? F/A? Would like to hear some opinions on this.
Yes.

Seriously, what are you expecting?  A third option?  This team will build through the draft and supplement through free agency. 

Quote:I think Decastro has only played in a handful of games because he's been injured though I wouldn't write him off as awful just yet

just looked it up he's only played in 6 games in his career. And last year he tore his PCL, dislocated his kneecap, and had a partially torn patellar tendon.
Yeah I saw that too, he is a good prospect, but the injuries may scare some teams away.
Quote:Yeah I saw that too, he is a good prospect, but the injuries may scare some teams away.

The Steelers just drafted him last year, he's got plenty of time to see if he can resume his career.
I think we can get by with Rackley and Nwaneri, they are good player but are just playing banged up.  However Meester HAS GOT TO GO!  I don't know what their plan is for center with either moving Nwaneri there and picking up another guard or just getting a new center in FA or draft but either way they cant move on with Meester under center.  If it was up to me I would cut him now, he is a huge liability but unfortunately we have 0 depth and O-Line.

Quote:The Steelers just drafted him last year, he's got plenty of time to see if he can resume his career.
His techniques are good. Coming back from an ACL and MCL tear is a high hill to climb. Ill keep an watch on him this season.
Quote:I think we can get by with Rackley and Nwaneri, they are good player but are just playing banged up.  However Meester HAS GOT TO GO!  I don't know what their plan is for center with either moving Nwaneri there and picking up another guard or just getting a new center in FA or draft but either way they cant move on with Meester under center.  If it was up to me I would cut him now, he is a huge liability but unfortunately we have 0 depth and O-Line.

I actually agree with this. Except the cutting him now part. I think among all of the OL, Meester is really the weak link. When KC got a sack rushing 3 it was Meester's man that even applied any sort of pressure Joeckel and Monroe had taken their men to the outside past the QB Meester on the other hand just got pushed back right into the QB.
personally, i nver really understood the love that uche has gotten.  I was suprised when they extended him.  Rackley was a project convert from small school tackle to guard.  You would never expect him to struggle with quickness on the inside and he has frankly.   I know both guys have knees, and that's understandable but in this league playing on the interior you are going to have to play banged up and still be productive, that's life.  I think That the interior of the offensive line has been neglected for far too long.  I think that meester is the only player we have ever taken on the interior of the offensive line in the first two rounds of the draft in this franchises history (that's just off the top of my head, if wrong i am open to enlightement.)  That kind of positional neglect catches up to you over time in the form of an anemic run game and pressure in the QB's lap. 

Quote:personally, i nver really understood the love that uche has gotten.  I was suprised when they extended him.  Rackley was a project convert from small school tackle to guard.  You would never expect him to struggle with quickness on the inside and he has frankly.   I know both guys have knees, and that's understandable but in this league playing on the interior you are going to have to play banged up and still be productive, that's life.  I think That the interior of the offensive line has been neglected for far too long.  I think that meester is the only player we have ever taken on the interior of the offensive line in the first two rounds of the draft in this franchises history (that's just off the top of my head, if wrong i am open to enlightement.)  That kind of positional neglect catches up to you over time in the form of an anemic run game and pressure in the QB's lap. 

Uche is a good player, he's just playing hurt.  Could he play better?  Absolutely, but that could be said for the entire O-Line in the last two games.  
Quote:I actually agree with this. Except the cutting him now part. I think among all of the OL, Meester is really the weak link. When KC got a sack rushing 3 it was Meester's man that even applied any sort of pressure Joeckel and Monroe had taken their men to the outside past the QB Meester on the other hand just got pushed back right into the QB.

Yea we are stuck with him for the season, but if we had any depth at either center or guard he would be gone by now.  Nothing against Meester, he has been a pillar of Jags O-Line for many years but he's just too old and it shows.

Meester has been terrible, but Rackley has been atrocious.  Nwaneri has been bad too, but he flashes at times.  Nwaneri is the only interior lineman on the roster that has the ability to actually get push.

I think Rackley looks smaller in the upper body than before he was hurt. I wonder if he underperformed in S&T in the year he was off or if he's just not all the way back yet. He looks like an undersized tackle out there.

Pages: 1 2