Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Doug Marrone "We're not even practicing"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can't find the video to his comments. But when talking about OTAs, Marrone basically says "I know you guys think that's practice out there, but it's not. I don't know if we can tackle, cover, etc"

Idk about you, but I really like hearing a coach who knows there's a lot to do instead of "trust the process"
(06-04-2017, 06:02 PM)mvannostran Wrote: [ -> ]Can't find the video to his comments. But when talking about OTAs, Marrone basically says "I know you guys think that's practice out there, but it's not. I don't know if we can tackle, cover, etc"

Idk about you, but I really like hearing a coach who knows there's a lot to do instead of "trust the process"

It's refreshing. 

He's made remarks of this nature in two different pressers during OTAs.  There's no sunshine and rainbows being pumped our way. More of a straight talker.
Culture change.
Hopefully translates to more toughness on the field. Both physically and mentally.
So far I've like Marrone a refreshing changr from Gus
I like rainbows and lollipops, as well as ice cream sundaes.

But it's nice to see a no non-sense approach when it comes to the Jags. About time.
It's really refreshing because it's

A: what your stereotypical football coach should sound like
B: it is the exact opposite of what Gus sounded like
(06-04-2017, 09:59 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]It's really refreshing because it's

A: what your stereotypical football coach should sound like
B: it is the exact opposite of what Gus sounded like

I became a marrone fan after watching his half time interview for the final titans game last year. We had a decent lead but he still said we had a lot of adjustments to make during the half and that we had made quite a few mistakes.

I remember thinking how refreshing it was to not here Gus point out positives about our play when walking into the locker room down 20 points.
Just get better man!
Sounds a whole lot better than "Gee, nice work out there boys! In about thirty minutes of light stretching let's go out to the ice cream cart and get ourselves a nice little treat on such a hot summer day!" or whatever the heck it was that Bradley liked to philosophize about it.
At least this coach is saying the right things now. Too much patting bad players on the back under the last regime.
I know I became a Marrone fan when he was still in Buffalo. But I recall several videos of post game locker room talks and press conferences where I came away even more impressed with him. I remember stating that in comparison to Bradley, he sounded like a grown up.

I sure hope this translates into wins. These three win seasons are highly overrated.
Makes you wonder how hard it was for him to sit back and work on Gus' staff. Probably had to bite his lip several hundred times.
It's refreshing to see that Doug Marrone is the total opposite from Gus Bradley.
(06-05-2017, 08:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder how hard it was for him to sit back and work on Gus' staff. Probably had to bite his lip several hundred times.

An hour.

It's amazing he has any lips left. Sorry if amazing that he could watch someone in charge do everything so wrong and not get upset about it. Just did his job.
I'm glad we're not getting sunshine blown up our skirts from the head coach for a change, but what matters isn't the talk but the walk; I'm waiting to see if it translates to better production on the field or if it's going to be another season of the same old thing... just without the 'baloney rap' to go with it.
Well, this comment is purely one that sounds good and soothes a particular chord with fans. I'm actually concerned with some of the things Marrone says. Specifically the fact hat he continually seems out of the loop on players and says "I don't know" about 15 times an interview. He throws out many "old school" cliches and snip-its that sound tough and disciplined which are words fans like to hear but until it's installed all of it is just talk. You can't create a disciplined atmosphere by sounding off some nonsense like "this isn't a practice" this makes it sound like a limitation for him already. As a Coach he needs to find was to make use of OTA's and not just expect to really start coaching on Training Camp. I hope he realizes his job has already started.
(06-05-2017, 11:25 AM)TheAll22 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, this comment is purely one that sounds good and soothes a particular chord with fans. I'm actually concerned with some of the things Marrone says. Specifically the fact hat he continually seems out of the loop on players and says "I don't know" about 15 times an interview. He throws out many "old school" cliches and snip-its that sound tough and disciplined which are words fans like to hear but until it's installed all of it is just talk. You can't create a disciplined atmosphere by sounding off some nonsense like "this isn't a practice" this makes it sound like a limitation for him already. As a Coach he needs to find was to make use of OTA's and not just expect to really start coaching on Training Camp. I hope he realizes his job has already started. V

I'll try to find the presser in which he directly explains his position on your concerns here. But here's the crux of it:

The "I don't know stuff" he clearly explained as not being willing to prematurely evaluate players or position groups before pads come on. This is more of a message to his players than it is to you or me. They have to earn it every day of the offseason. 

Considering the comments from vets like Campbell, Jackson and Telvin, the players are not coming away from these OTAs feeling like "this isn't practice."  Marrone is just driving home a point to reporters who keep asking questions about position group depth charts and starters etc. that real evaluation of their abilities begins in earnest when the pads come on. Right now he's getting them in football shape and acclimating them to the system. He's also expressing his displeasure with the limitations of the current CBA regarding padded contact work. 

It almost feels like you're looking for something to hate on here.

here's one of the pressers he addresses this stuff in - start at 3:20 :
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...b833e15b70

There's another one I can't find in which he relates an instance from a prior team when they began to install plays bases on players standing out in OTAs only to find out that those players performed much differently when pads came on. They then felt they'd wasted time working on those plays prematurely. He clearly has a clear outline of what he wants to get done in May/June.
I'm hoping sincerely that he's the answer at head coach.
(06-05-2017, 11:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2017, 11:25 AM)TheAll22 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, this comment is purely one that sounds good and soothes a particular chord with fans. I'm actually concerned with some of the things Marrone says. Specifically the fact hat he continually seems out of the loop on players and says "I don't know" about 15 times an interview. He throws out many "old school" cliches and snip-its that sound tough and disciplined which are words fans like to hear but until it's installed all of it is just talk. You can't create a disciplined atmosphere by sounding off some nonsense like "this isn't a practice" this makes it sound like a limitation for him already. As a Coach he needs to find was to make use of OTA's and not just expect to really start coaching on Training Camp. I hope he realizes his job has already started. V

I'll try to find the presser in which he directly explains his position on your concerns here. But here's the crux of it:

The "I don't know stuff" he clearly explained as not being willing to prematurely evaluate players or position groups before pads come on. This is more of a message to his players than it is to you or me. They have to earn it every day of the offseason. 

Considering the comments from vets like Campbell, Jackson and Telvin, the players are not coming away from these OTAs feeling like "this isn't practice."  Marrone is just driving home a point to reporters who keep asking questions about position group depth charts and starters etc. that real evaluation of their abilities begins in earnest when the pads come on. Right now he's getting them in football shape and acclimating them to the system. He's also expressing his displeasure with the limitations of the current CBA regarding padded contact work. 

It almost feels like you're looking for something to hate on here.

What you have to understand is that an interview is an interview. In many ways when Doug Talks about OTA's he is saying mostly the same things Gus did. "It's all about challenging players and getting better every day" and all these coachisms about discipline are recycled and it's kind of just the way it is. Gus was very good at saying very little and telling you everything was exciting and I honestly don't have an issue with a positive spin. It's very PR, let me say something without having to really talk.

What it comes down to is actual coaching, preparation for games and training sessions, etc. The problem with Gus was that he knew what to say and it would have been fine, but he really was clueless, if he knew what he was doing, his style would have worked out fine. My issue is that when I see Marrone Coach, he seems disinterested, lacks instruction and those things add up for me because I don't like how he coaches football from the little bites of his actual coaching. This is not entirely his fault and you can get away with it somewhat because Football is the worst coached sport in the world. No sport is as poorly coached by its professional teams which will be another topic for another day.

Most of you loved Gus and he said some of the same stuff that Marrone says but with the opposite emotional spin. That's the major shift here is an emotional shift that is pleasing to fans because fans are tired of losing. We should not equate grumpiness with discipline. These rhetoric filled interviews about discipline cannot be fulfilled unless discipline remains a discipline and not just something you talk about for six months, accountability, attention to detail and consistent intensity of how day to day is executed will change the culture. I don't know if Marrone is the Coach to fulfill that because he seems very lost despite the impressive coaching rhetoric.
Pages: 1 2