Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fowler Forecast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Found it on MSN.

Dante Fowler Jr., Jaguars
The Jaguars were happy to get their 2015 first-round pick on the field in 2016. After missing a year with a torn ACL, Fowler suited up in all 16 contests last year and, in limited snaps, he still managed to record four sacks.
Expect the end to be given a full workload in 2017. He'll be bookended by veteran Calais Campbell in an important season for Jacksonville. It just may be the year in which we're witness to Fowler's entire repertoire.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/10-p...a9I#page=5
Cool. Hopefully he's in the right mindset now after getting 2016 out of the way. It was his rookie year out there. His head was probably swimming all over the place. His biggest issue last year just seemed to be mental at times. Lack of discipline and his emotions got the best of him.

Hopefully Marrone can help him calm down and dial it back a little bit. If he can get near that 7.0 - 10.0 sack range in 2017 I'll consider it a success.
(06-06-2017, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully Marrone can help him calm down and dial it back a little bit. If he can get near that 7.0 - 10.0 sack range in 2017 I'll consider it a success.

I think that is a fair expectation for Fowler.
I read an article on "that site which shall not be named" a while back which I hated to agree with. Fowler seems to be a much more natural pass rusher when he is standing up. He disappears far too often in games, getting swallowed by midling Tackles and failing to get consistent pressure. Maybe he can turn the corner this year and start to make plays as a true DE, but much of his success at UF came on plays where he didn't have a hand in the dirt.
For Fowler I believe his problem is mostly about his hand usage. At his size, he has to swat the opposing lineman's hands away before being locked up. If he had a move to go outside, and a counter to go inside if the OT is cheating I think he could be very productive.
(06-06-2017, 02:20 PM)cland Wrote: [ -> ]For Fowler I believe his problem is mostly about his hand usage.  At his size, he has to swat the opposing lineman's hands away before being locked up.  If he had a move to go outside, and a counter to go inside if the OT is cheating I think he could be very productive.

My thoughts are very similar on Fowler. Hand technique is in need of help. Hopefully his new D-Line coach is on that. 
He definitely needs to develop a counter-move as well. 

I still like the potential even though he wasn't my first choice when drafted.
Hopefully he does well this year. Last season though, he lost his cool far too often. He needs to get that under control first and foremost if he is going to go to the next levell
(06-06-2017, 04:01 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully he does well this year. Last season though, he lost his cool far too often. He needs to get that under control first and foremost if he is going to go to the next levell

I don't know if I would characterize his penalties as a loss of cool, but her certainly had some inexplicable penalties to be sure.

He lined up offsides more than any DL I've ever seen, and there was one penalty on an attempted FG block (IIRC v. Baltimore) that gave them another chance after a miss.

All of those penalties became really tiresome. Fortunately, he started to cut down on them later in the season.
I expect more of the same honestly. Good against the run and opportunistic pass rushing when he goes unblocked on a stunt or cleaning up after a QB is scrambling to avoid the pressure caused by Malik/Calais/Yannick etc initially. Unfortunately, I still don't think he's going to be the guy initiating the chaos very often.
I believe the vets like Calais will keep him under control, I could see Calais chewing him out after fowler costs them a stupid 15 yard penalty
I hope we use him more like the tinhorns use Mercilis.
SO far he has shown no reason why he was drafted in the top 5 let alone the first round. He's a hard hitter but thats all I got for positives.
(06-06-2017, 06:39 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]SO far he has shown no reason why he was drafted in the top 5 let alone the first round.  He's a hard hitter but thats all I got for positives.

He's been working almost exclusively on perfecting his pass rush this offseason so we start to see more results this season.
I think his job is really on the line. After OTA's and TC, we saw him get exposed because of his technique, he flashed here and there but to end with 4 sacks and around 25 tackles was frustrating. The most memorable thing he did was have childish outbursts. I have to wonder if there was some use of PED's since players are not as routinely tested for substances before Training Camp. The NFL has a large window in the off-season to use any drug you want really as long as you aren't in the Drug Program.

Even so my real concern with last year being both a rehab season and a rookie season, you hope to not see him get lost. Although Smoot was selected high, he isn't coming for his job just yet. I'd really like to see major technical improvement. I think he got exposed because he doesn't have the technical savvy to match the physical skills.

I have no expectations for him, I don't see him starting too many games but maybe he becomes somewhat of a poor man's Brandon Graham down the road.
@22, I don't think it was PEDs. He just fell off. Rookie Wall
He's a bust. Luckily Dave found a gem in Yannick to make up for it.
He's just not a great pass rusher. When a guy has to be moved all over the field to be successful that means he really isn't great at anything in particular. You essentially have to use the element of surprise coupled with his athleticism. He's basically a superior Ryan Davis.
Fowler Forecast? Partly offsides with a chance of a torn ACL
The question I asked on reddit while the old boards were melting down, which unfortunately went unanswered, is what happens with the stunts this year? 2.5 of Fowler's 4 sacks were unblocked on those plays. That's a good way to try to scheme up a pass rush when you have a guy on the dline to essentially waste crashing down for the double team like Abry/Alualu/Odrick.

However, do we sacrifice Malik or Calais's opportunity to make a play for themselves to try to free up Fowler on stunts this year? I don't think I would personally.
(06-08-2017, 08:17 AM)KYjaggy Wrote: [ -> ]The question I asked on reddit while the old boards were melting down, which unfortunately went unanswered, is what happens with the stunts this year? 2.5 of Fowler's 4 sacks were unblocked on those plays. That's a good way to try to scheme up a pass rush when you have a guy on the dline to essentially waste crashing down for the double team like Abry/Alualu/Odrick.

However, do we sacrifice Malik or Calais's opportunity to make a play for themselves to try to free up Fowler on stunts this year? I don't think I would personally.

It's not like they are going to dial that up 20 times a game or something and Calais is not a young man in this game. They'll probably want to spell him a bit anyway. He can sit on a nickel series or part of one here and there if they think they need to do that to free up Fowler.
Pages: 1 2