Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Questions of Fundamentals.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the Linder thread, I posted a link to a 15 minute Marrone interview/post OTA press conference.  I have added it here.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...8239a1ba6f

In that link, he talks mentions at this point the fundamentals, especially as it pertains to footwork, are good, and that if the team had to go back in training camp to work on fundamentals, the team would be in trouble.

For me that raises several questions.

When fans (including myself) see a football team that loses as proficiently as we have, a not uncommon thought is that the team has poor fundamentals, in addition to poor talent and coaching.

Did the team have poor fundamentals last year?

If so, were they somehow corrected between the end of last season and now, considering how little contact the team has had with the players?'

If the staff could correct fundamental flaws in such a short period of time, why weren't they corrected before now?

If the team did not have poor fundamentals last year, what were the reasons for the failures?  Specifically, if Bradley and company sufficiently taught/emphasized fundamentals, in what areas did Bradley fail?  How much of the losing was talent?
I don't know about whether the team lacked fundamentals, but it looked to me like it frequently lacked in discipline. I can remember some loafing and some bad cases of really stupid penalties.

I guess one could say Bortles let his fundamentals deteriorate, but I don't know enough about what everyone else was doing to really say.
When it comes to deep football knowledge I don't pretend to be an expert. What I do know is once the season starts you can't go back, everything is focused towards game planning. What disturbs me is these guys are professionals, shouldn't fundamentals be a given at this point and time?
It depends on everything the term fundamentals​ encompass. If that includes commiting stupid penalties repeatedly, I'd say the Jaguars' fundamentals were suspect. It's also possible to possess solid fundamentals but still be physically dominated. Ultimately, the Jaguars lost games in a myriad of fashions so trying to attribute it to a single culprit is likely an exercise in futility.
Gus is fundamentally a terrible coach.
(06-06-2017, 09:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Gus is fundamentally a terrible coach.

And this is the crux of the matter. Our guys did look okay sometimes, they just always committed stupid penatlies/mistakes at the absolute worst junction