Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What are you reading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I start a thread like this every few years. It gets some hits then slowly fades away. Well, we have a new board, so I ask, What are you reading?

I am reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano and will start American Gods when I finish sometime this week. What about everyone else?
(06-07-2017, 08:01 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]I start a thread like this every few years.  It gets some hits then slowly fades away.  Well, we have a new board, so I ask, What are you reading?

I am reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano and will start American Gods when I finish sometime this week.  What about everyone else?

I'm actually re-reading the Ice and Fire series.  It is amazing how much detail you miss the first time through (TV show notwithstanding).  I did this with the Dark Tower series a few years ago too and had kind of the same experience.
Just pulled out a book to read yesterday. Battle Circle by Piers Anthony. Ive read it before but it is my favorite book and im ready to double down
Just finished "Dead of Night" by Randy Wayne White. It's book 12 of the Doc Ford series. Highly recommend the entire series.. but read them in order.
"A Pope and a President" by Paul Bengor. It outlines the relationship between St Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan, and how that relationship helped facilitate the end of the Cold War.
Currently reading this thread.
A Game of Thrones.

It's okay, but is a bit long. Jon Snow is the only character I really like so far.
Playboy, but just for the articles.
Live From New York
Big Grin
Cereal Boxes
Feast with dragons. A combined reading of GRRM a song of fire and ice series, this website http://afeastwithdragons.com/ gives you the order in which to read dance with dragons and feast for crows to match it up chronologically. Basically trying to finish it before the newest season premiers. Actually listened to the audiobooks a while back but actually re reading it now.

And on the side the real estate Brokers license book.
I am going to start American gods once the TV show is finished with the first season .... awesome show by the way if you get a chance
I bought a new copy of A Clockwork Orange a few months ago. Had a copy years back but lost it. One of these days I need to read it. I remember it being much better than the movie, and the movie was damn good.
A few different books depending on my mood.  I don't read fiction very often, and my selections would probably bore some people.
An art textbook. It's very well written and interesting as hell. Really, no kidding.
(06-10-2017, 05:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to start American gods once the TV show is finished with the first season .... awesome show by the way if you get a chance

I read it a few years ago, it's ok, very quirky like most of his fiction is. I haven't seen the show. I like "Neverwhere" better, IMHO.
I don't read any fiction or fantasy anymore like I used to. Actually I was quite the connoisseur for a time. I even read Harry Potter (as an adult, was a little after my time) just to see what the writing was like, and why so many people were into it. Really excellent milieu along with a compelling rags to riches, draws you in, I get why people are obsessed (the world is a fun place to imagine being in). But I have decided that fantasy isn't good for me, so now I just read articles online and nonfiction books like my Bible commentaries and textbooks/board prep.
I recently started the only Cormac McCarthy novel I've yet to read, Suttree. Like most, if not all, of McCarthy's work, it has unforgettable characters and a perfect command of the vernacular peculiar to the local setting of his stories. About 20% into the novel and I can tell it's going to evolve into something delightfully creepy.
Recently finished the final book in Raymond Feist's Midkemia series. I'm sad there are no more.
(06-14-2017, 02:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]I recently started the only Cormac McCarthy novel I've yet to read, Suttree. Like most, if not all, of McCarthy's work, it has unforgettable characters and a perfect command of the vernacular peculiar to the local setting of his stories. About 20% into the novel and I can tell it's going to evolve into something delightfully creepy.

I have a read a few by him.  I find that his novels grow on me (haunt me?) as the months pass.
Pages: 1 2 3