Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: UK General Election 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That's my vote cast...

Here's to the next 4 years with yet another legendary Prime Minister........

Wallbash
I don't follow UK politics that much (though I probably should). I would say that you all need another Margaret Thatcher.
(06-08-2017, 03:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I don't follow UK politics that much (though I probably should).  I would say that you all need another Margaret Thatcher.

She puts Jeremy Corbyn & Theresa May to shame...

I think the Conservatives will win (unfortunately).. their lead, however, has dropped over the last couple of hours..

I'm following it live at: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv...g-day-live
There will never be another Ronald Reagan/Margaret Thatcher combination.....

They Won the Cold War for us
Early predictions on the Exit Polls are suggesting a 'hung parliament'.

Conservatives are set to be the larger party but are looking to fall short of the 326 seats required for overall parliamentary control.
You Brits have a weird process...
(06-08-2017, 06:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]You Brits have a weird process...

I have nothing to argue against that comment with..
(06-08-2017, 03:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]I don't follow UK politics that much (though I probably should). I would say that you all need another Margaret Thatcher.

I hated that woman with a passion.
(06-08-2017, 04:27 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]There will never be another Ronald Reagan/Margaret Thatcher combination.....

Yep but that's all been wiped out in the past 120 days.
(06-08-2017, 09:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2017, 04:27 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]There will never be another Ronald Reagan/Margaret Thatcher combination.....

Lol.
Delighted that the Conservatives lost their majority on an election that they called. Fantastic news and now they're going to be puppets to a regional party.
(06-09-2017, 03:38 AM)BritishJag Wrote: [ -> ]Delighted that the Conservatives lost their majority on an election that they called. Fantastic news and now they're going to be puppets to a regional party.

I second this.. I'm very happy with how it ended up.
Just curious because as I have already said, I don't follow British politics very closely. In simple terms, how does your system of government work? I have a general understanding, but it's kind of confusing to me. You don't directly elect a Prime Minister? The Royalty (The Queen) has a hand in this? How many political parties do you guys have, and how would they relate to U.S. political parties?
(06-08-2017, 09:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Reality check, dude.  Reality check.  Planet earth.  2017.
(06-09-2017, 02:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious because as I have already said, I don't follow British politics very closely.  In simple terms, how does your system of government work?  I have a general understanding, but it's kind of confusing to me.  You don't directly elect a Prime Minister?  The Royalty (The Queen) has a hand in this?  How many political parties do you guys have, and how would they relate to U.S. political parties?

I'm not a political buff but I'll try and clear it up a little bit, but this is all written very loosely so forgive me..

We have a list of about 16 political parties across the UK , the main ones are Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Green Party, UK Independant Party & Scottish National Party. Each party has a local Member Of Parliament and a National Leader.. Theresa May being the National Leader for the Conservatives, for example. There are 650 constituencies (a group of voters in a specified area or local council  who elect a representative to a legislative body) over the UK and in each one people will vote for their party of choice.. the votes are counted and the constituency will declare who the party is with the most votes are.

For a party to get into power they need a majority vote which is 326 constituencies (326 seats in parliament).

This General Election has seen the Conservatives not achieve the golden number so we now have a 'hung parliament' which means that one party is the 'bigger party' but there's no overall winner and this may end up in a coalition (the forming of more than one political party working together with one person at the helm as PM).

Theresa May is under fire now, as she was so confident that she would be voted for that she called the Election early.. this has backfired and so a lot of people are saying she could resign. Another potential is that we could have a re-vote.. but I don't think that will be the case. Not for a while..

On a personal level, I voted for the party for which I believed in. The one who's values meant more to me. Although I don't like their leader and wouldn't want them as PM, I had to vote for them. So essentially, I voted for the party they represent over the person who would be elected, does that make sense?

Regarding Theresa May visiting the Queen, this was because of the hung parliament. Where she was not overall winner, she needed the Queens permission to form a government.

I hope this answers some of the questions you have asked.. if not, I apologise. Also, I think the information is correct.. it's certainly how I understand it.. I'm sure a UK Political buff would be able to correct me on some parts, though,
(06-09-2017, 05:12 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]On a personal level, I voted for the party for which I believed in. The one who's values meant more to me. Although I don't like their leader and wouldn't want them as PM, I had to vote for them. So essentially, I voted for the party they represent over the person who would be elected, does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense.

Many, many Americans took a similar decision-making process, leading to the Trump election (lesser of two unattractive candidates, but one more representative of their values than the other.)

I certainly took that approach, though I am not a party devotee.  I am independent and refuse to register with a party here.  It makes a difference in Florida, but not in all states.

By not declaring a party, I am not allowed to participate in FL primary elections.  I have to wait until the parties select their candidates and they make it to the general election.  In other words, nominating elections can be closed to party affiliates only (closed primaries.)

I'm fine with that.  There's currently no party that fits my preferences and I don't see that changing anytime soon - probably not during my lifetime.  I'm a mix of libertarian (personal responsibility and freedom on the socio-economic end) and constitutional conservative (rule of law and freedom from government as it was intended by the founders.)
(06-09-2017, 06:11 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2017, 05:12 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]On a personal level, I voted for the party for which I believed in. The one who's values meant more to me. Although I don't like their leader and wouldn't want them as PM, I had to vote for them. So essentially, I voted for the party they represent over the person who would be elected, does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense.

Many, many Americans took a similar decision-making process, leading to the Trump election (lesser of two unattractive candidates, but one more representative of their values than the other.)

I certainly took that approach, though I am not a party devotee.  I am independent and refuse to register with a party here.  It makes a difference in Florida, but not in all states.

By not declaring a party, I am not allowed to participate in FL primary elections.  I have to wait until the parties select their candidates and they make it to the general election.  In other words, nominating elections can be closed to party affiliates only (closed primaries.)

I'm fine with that.  There's currently no party that fits my preferences and I don't see that changing anytime soon - probably not during my lifetime.  I'm a mix of libertarian (personal responsibility and freedom on the socio-economic end) and constitutional conservative (rule of law and freedom from government as it was intended by the founders.)

I'm not a party devotee either.. I follow the Labour party (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK), but I'm not one for airing my political views too much. I don't try to influence peoples decisions.. the way I see it, if they're old enough to vote, they're old enough to make up their mind on who to vote for..
(06-09-2017, 05:12 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2017, 02:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious because as I have already said, I don't follow British politics very closely.  In simple terms, how does your system of government work?  I have a general understanding, but it's kind of confusing to me.  You don't directly elect a Prime Minister?  The Royalty (The Queen) has a hand in this?  How many political parties do you guys have, and how would they relate to U.S. political parties?

I'm not a political buff but I'll try and clear it up a little bit, but this is all written very loosely so forgive me..

We have a list of about 16 political parties across the UK , the main ones are Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Green Party, UK Independant Party & Scottish National Party. Each party has a local Member Of Parliament and a National Leader.. Theresa May being the National Leader for the Conservatives, for example. There are 650 constituencies (a group of voters in a specified area or local council  who elect a representative to a legislative body) over the UK and in each one people will vote for their party of choice.. the votes are counted and the constituency will declare who the party is with the most votes are.

For a party to get into power they need a majority vote which is 326 constituencies (326 seats in parliament).

This General Election has seen the Conservatives not achieve the golden number so we now have a 'hung parliament' which means that one party is the 'bigger party' but there's no overall winner and this may end up in a coalition (the forming of more than one political party working together with one person at the helm as PM).

Theresa May is under fire now, as she was so confident that she would be voted for that she called the Election early.. this has backfired and so a lot of people are saying she could resign. Another potential is that we could have a re-vote.. but I don't think that will be the case. Not for a while..

On a personal level, I voted for the party for which I believed in. The one who's values meant more to me. Although I don't like their leader and wouldn't want them as PM, I had to vote for them. So essentially, I voted for the party they represent over the person who would be elected, does that make sense?

Regarding Theresa May visiting the Queen, this was because of the hung parliament. Where she was not overall winner, she needed the Queens permission to form a government.

I hope this answers some of the questions you have asked.. if not, I apologise. Also, I think the information is correct.. it's certainly how I understand it.. I'm sure a UK Political buff would be able to correct me on some parts, though,

Thank you for your explanation.  I gather that you don't directly vote for a candidate, rather you vote for a party.  Do I have that correct?

Where does the Monarchy (The Queen) come into play?  I have always thought that the Monarchy was more-or-less "symbolic" and really had nothing to do with government.

Educate me please.
(06-09-2017, 06:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2017, 05:12 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a political buff but I'll try and clear it up a little bit, but this is all written very loosely so forgive me..

Thank you for your explanation.  I gather that you don't directly vote for a candidate, rather you vote for a party.  Do I have that correct?

Where does the Monarchy (The Queen) come into play?  I have always thought that the Monarchy was more-or-less "symbolic" and really had nothing to do with government.

Educate me please.

Yep, that's correct. Some people vote for the party because they like the candidate, others vote for the party despite the candidate (I'm the latter).

So, the Queen doesn't have an active role in politics, that's left to the government.. in terms of passing legislation etc.

Today's scenario needed the Queens approval as essentially it was over the Prime Ministers head. As far as I understand, where the Conservatives were not Majority leaders in the Election, this meant that Theresa May had to seek approval to continue to lead the country from a political stance. This meant that she had to approach the Queen/Monarchy as they are head of state.

I've re-read that and re-worded it a couple of times.. I hope there's some clarity in it..