Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Government Schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Six schools in Baltimore (5 high schools, one middle school) had ZERO students proficient in math or English.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-bal...tate-tests
School choice, make them compete like the private sector the good ones thrive the bad ones close down.
Not surprised at all. It makes you wonder just what these kids are being taught at a younger age. English is basic. You should know it. By the time you've made it out of the 5th grade you should be pretty proficient at putting words and sentences together. I don't know how much has changed since I graduated in 2007.

But I can recall even my earlier years at Beauclerc Elementary here in Jacksonville that some of my favorite teachers were great at engaging the classroom. Especially when it came to reading and writing. We used to have that program where they wanted students to read a minimum of 25 books of 100+ pages throughout the year. You'd have a little sheet where you wrote the titles down and then you'd maybe get a little quiz or test on it to prove you didn't lie about reading it.

That went a very long way for us. We had to come up with our own story books and characters too. My favorite teacher. Ms. Story. She was my 3rd grade teacher. She encouraged all of us to read and write. It was fun the way she went about it. I'll never forget her and that class. And this was over 20 years ago.

Sadly, as I got older. The teachers became less and less engaging. And it seemed more like we were being babysat for nine hours a day. I think at Twin Lakes Middle school here in Jacksonville the best teacher I ever had was the reading and writing classes. Mostly in the 6th grade. Ms. Robin was awesome. The history teachers, especially the American History and World History teachers were exceptional. They would go on and on for an hour by the book and adding awesome tidbits on the side. Mr. Schneider and Mr. Gesdorf. Awesome teachers.

High school. Different story. After my freshman year at Sandalwood here in Jacksonville. I hated going to school. The teachers sucked. They weren't engaging at all. The only two teachers that ever stood out to me and actually TAUGHT in front of the class and wanted us to LEARN something it felt like was just Mr. Dorough my freshman year and Mr. Johns my senior year. Those two men were just thoughtful, engaging, well spoken and not over the top with their methods or work load and they were fair. The rest? Totally forgettable.
I blame the NEA and The Teachers Union
(06-10-2017, 05:42 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]School choice, make them compete like the private sector the good ones thrive the bad ones close down.

This has been my point. Competition spawns improvement. It's not just government programs that are poorly run, look at the cable companies. Look at AT&T before they were broken up in the 1980s. Monopolies in general have no incentive to innovate and improve, and every government program is a monopoly.
Education begins at home. We've destroyed the American home and now we reap the results. No school can overcome the smoldering ruins of the homes in their surrounding neighborhoods.
(06-10-2017, 09:37 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2017, 05:42 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]School choice, make them compete like the private sector the good ones thrive the bad ones close down.

This has been my point. Competition spawns improvement. It's not just government programs that are poorly run, look at the cable companies. Look at AT&T before they were broken up in the 1980s. Monopolies in general have no incentive to innovate and improve, and every government program is a monopoly.

Damn good point. Everybody gets special treatment now. You get a participation trophy even if you finish dead last. They have too many safety nets in school as well. In the 90's it was all about "Head Starts". Giving the kids head starts. Now it's been about "Left Behind". No child left behind. I am stealing a bit of material here from one of George Carlin's old stand up gigs but it was true back in 2007 or 2008 and it's still true today. 

A lot of these schools and states are lowering the standards and test score requirements to get these kids out of school faster and they're lowering the overall I.Q of our country as a result of this. And when you keep it up at this level that little Jeff Daniel's bit that he did on that Newsroom or Network on HBO goes even further down the drain in rankings on a global scale. Those were real, factual numbers at the time. 

This country has lot it's fire and heart of what it made great when we were building, innovating and shaping the world under so many great minds here. Now those kinds of people and intelligence get silenced, mocked or buried under piles of stupidity. It's sad. It really, really is sad.

(06-10-2017, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Education begins at home. We've destroyed the American home and now we reap the results. No school can overcome the smoldering ruins of the homes in their surrounding neighborhoods.

This is true as well. It's rare you ever hear about a stay at home mom these days. Most parents in most locations are forced to work day and night to make ends meet. Barely make ends meet at that. When I was a kid in the 90s and early 00's. I always had my parents home. They could work and be there during the evening. So I was getting plenty of help, teaching, guidance and support through them. 

Fast forward to nowadays. It's rare. Very rare to see that. And technology has also sapped everyone's attention as well. It bothers me to no hell's end when me and my wife go out to dinner and you see a family of maybe four or five just sitting there GLUED to their phones. Rarely talking, laughing or making eye contact with one another. And anytime someone asks a question they don't know an answer to. Guess what? 

Youtube it! Google it! God forbid you take your son or daughter out to a library for a few minutes and do it the old way. Or you take your son or daughter outside physically to see how to fix a car or repair something around the house hands on. 

Sad times man. The meek will inherit the Earth at this rate. The survivors have always passed down the best skills and techniques. I have a terrible feeling that comes to an end by 2050 - 2100.
I have been avoiding posting in the politics forum, but as a teacher I feel like I need to pop in on this thread. Let me preface this by saying I have been teaching for over a decade and am classified as a high performing teacher (and I have been for all but my first few years teaching, during which I was "satisfactory.") I have taught in the inner city and in the suburbs.

There are a lot of misconceptions about competition in schools. The first being that somehow it creates better schools. Let me point out some ways the treating schools like business and having them compete is going to leave people disappointed.

The existence of charter schools (the main driver behind the competition argument) were originally pushed as a way to provide choice for failing schools in neighborhoods where there was a history of failing schools. When I worked in the inner city we saw the first wave of inner city charter schools come out. There are more than a few issues that exist with charter schools (at least here in FL)

a. Charter schools that opened near failing schools had poor results. As a matter of fact, charter schools across Jax and FL generally have lower scores than their neighborhood schools. There are a few exceptions (River City Science is consistently scoring well.) As a result of this, charter schools stopped opening near low performing schools and started to move out to the suburbs where the public schools were doing just fine. Which is the opposite of what the schools were supposed to be for.

b. Schools should NOT be in competition with each other. As a public school teacher with a near perfect pass rate on my End of Course exams each of the last few years, I SHOULD share my information and teaching strategies with other teachers. If I am in competition with them, it does not benefit me to share my info and strategies because it could help the "competition." The only losers in this situation are the kids who do not get access to better classroom ideas. For the record, I share all of my info with whoever wants it. However, If I was in competition with my co-workers, I do not know if I would be so willing to share, especially if it meant keeping my job or not.

c. New Orleans is all charter school (they have no public school system since Katrina.) They are having a tremendous amount of trouble following the law in regards to access to mental health professionals, English as second language learners laws as well as staying on top of the extremely cumbersome process of accommodations for students with learning disabilities. NPR had a very interesting story about how public schools share funds to hire the necessary mental health professionals and other professionals needed to meet all of the requirements to help children with learning disabilities/mental health issues, but that the charter schools in New Orleans did not want to work together because they want their competition to fail so they can get more students. Remember, students = $$$.

d. Charter schools were meant to be a way to allow innovative teaching. Let me say that this one is REALLY frustrating as a teacher. We are told that we are not innovative which is why we need charters, BUT, I am not allowed to be innovative. The state micromanages everything I teach down to the amount of days I am supposed to teach it. I, as mentioned above, have an extremely high pass rate, but I have still had people from the district get on my case for following a different pace than I am supposed to. I kind of get away with it (yearly ending up in a meeting with my boss and a district person explaining why I am doing it the way I am) because I have a good record, but new teachers do not have that privilege. Remember that we are not allowed to get creative. We are not even supposed to show documentaries or in some cases video clips. This is all pushed down on us by a legislature that, being a super majority of Republicans, you would think would want LESS interference and micromanaging.

e. Charter schools do not have to have certified teachers. When I heard this I thought that this was just some bull, I did however look into it and it is true. They do not have to have the same level of certification that we in the public schools do.

f. Remember that charter schools can kick kids out. Public schools cannot. Every year, after funding counts are made and money is distributed from the state, we, the public school, get a bunch of kids that have been kicked out of the charters (usually around the start of 2nd quarter.) This of course means we don't have the funding attached to them yet still have to teach them, and are dealing with the kids the charters do not want.

g. There is no transparency with charters. My sister-in-law was teaching at one here in Jax. She made 9,000 less than me and got no benefits. The question I have is, where did the rest of the $$$ go? It wasn't to facilities (the school was a dump) and she didn't have smaller classes. No one knows what happens to the $$$ at these schools. Shouldn't my tax dollars that are being given to the business that runs the school be traceable? A few years ago a local charter school (military academy one) closed it doors in March because it ran out of money. They literally had a sign on the door that said we are no longer operating. It was on the local news. DCPS said we would take the kids, but their parents were freaking out because seniors who were scheduled to graduate in May, were being placed in 10th and 11th grade because they could not pass the tests that are required in public schools. How did the school fail to finihs the year? We will never know since they do not have to divulge their accounting at charter schools.

h. And perhaps the kicker. The state provides funds for charter schools to build and operate. If they fail the business keeps the building that our tax dollars paid for. Again, this was so ridiculous that when I heard it I thought it was a complete lie, but it is not.

Now, I know that public schools are not perfect, but it is hard for them to compete when the playing field is not level. If charter schools were held to the same standards as public schools than it would be a different story, but as of now, they are not and it is frustrating to always hear how bad of a job my colleagues and I do, when we are following the guidelines of what the legislature wants, other than to work for free Wink

There is more I could write and I would be more than happy to talk about this with everyone in an adult way (which is to say, NOT like the majority of threads in the politics sections!) but I am taking my kids to go see Captain Underpants, so I can't add more right now!
(06-10-2017, 11:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2017, 09:37 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]This has been my point. Competition spawns improvement. It's not just government programs that are poorly run, look at the cable companies. Look at AT&T before they were broken up in the 1980s. Monopolies in general have no incentive to innovate and improve, and every government program is a monopoly.

Damn good point. Everybody gets special treatment now. You get a participation trophy even if you finish dead last. They have too many safety nets in school as well. In the 90's it was all about "Head Starts". Giving the kids head starts. Now it's been about "Left Behind". No child left behind. I am stealing a bit of material here from one of George Carlin's old stand up gigs but it was true back in 2007 or 2008 and it's still true today. 

This is why I am so thankful I was educated in the 80's. I graduated high school June 1990 and they were just beginning all these special programs. Man, where I went to school you thrived or you got held back. Period. The disadvantage for me was I have ADD but that wasn't widely known or talked about and I did suffer in most of my studies that didn't have to do with reading. I loved to read and still do. 

A lot of these schools and states are lowering the standards and test score requirements to get these kids out of school faster and they're lowering the overall I.Q of our country as a result of this. And when you keep it up at this level that little Jeff Daniel's bit that he did on that Newsroom or Network on HBO goes even further down the drain in rankings on a global scale. Those were real, factual numbers at the time. 

That totally blew me away, and not in a feel good kind of way. Now I want to go back and watch that series.

This country has lot it's fire and heart of what it made great when we were building, innovating and shaping the world under so many great minds here. Now those kinds of people and intelligence get silenced, mocked or buried under piles of stupidity. It's sad. It really, really is sad.

100% agree. When you take away incentive you take away the will to do better. 

(06-10-2017, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Education begins at home. We've destroyed the American home and now we reap the results. No school can overcome the smoldering ruins of the homes in their surrounding neighborhoods.

This is true as well. It's rare you ever hear about a stay at home mom these days. Most parents in most locations are forced to work day and night to make ends meet. Barely make ends meet at that. When I was a kid in the 90s and early 00's. I always had my parents home. They could work and be there during the evening. So I was getting plenty of help, teaching, guidance and support through them. 

I know a lot of SAHM from my church and their kids are fairly well adjusted and educated compared to others. I also know many working moms (also from my church) and their kids are also pretty on par. Many SAHM get a bad rap because a lot of them are Christians and there's a whole other dimension to that aspect we can't get into here. I think a lot of it has to do with lack of discipline at home and what is said below. Also, due to the lack of discipline at home, teachers are being forced to teach kids things that they should be learning at home. I personally know a couple of teachers; one is elementary down there in FL and the other is middle school up here in NC, and they both say it's crazy and sad- the lack of skills kids are coming to school with just to cope with dealing with others. I also have a friend who is leaving her teaching job as a violin teacher at a private Catholic school after only two years because the kids don't want to practice or do their lessons. She loved the job until she realized how much these kids have lack of focus and discipline. She said she didn't spend four years at university to babysit unruly kids.

Fast forward to nowadays. It's rare. Very rare to see that. And technology has also sapped everyone's attention as well. It bothers me to no hell's end when me and my wife go out to dinner and you see a family of maybe four or five just sitting there GLUED to their phones. Rarely talking, laughing or making eye contact with one another. And anytime someone asks a question they don't know an answer to. Guess what? 

Youtube it! Google it! God forbid you take your son or daughter out to a library for a few minutes and do it the old way. Or you take your son or daughter outside physically to see how to fix a car or repair something around the house hands on. 

Sad times man. The meek will inherit the Earth at this rate. The survivors have always passed down the best skills and techniques. I have a terrible feeling that comes to an end by 2050 - 2100.
(06-10-2017, 03:15 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]    a.  Charter schools that opened near failing schools had poor results.  As a matter of fact, charter schools across Jax and FL generally have lower scores than their neighborhood schools.  There are a few exceptions (River City Science is consistently scoring well.)  As a result of this, charter schools stopped opening near low performing schools and started to move out to the suburbs where the public schools were doing just fine.  Which is the opposite of what the schools were supposed to be for.

b.  Schools should NOT be in competition with each other.  As a public school teacher with a near perfect pass rate on my End of Course exams each of the last few years, I SHOULD share my information and teaching strategies with other teachers.  If I am in competition with them, it does not benefit me to share my info and strategies because it could help the "competition."  The only losers in this situation are the kids who do not get access to better classroom ideas.  For the record, I share all of my info with whoever wants it.  However, If I was in competition with my co-workers, I do not know if I would be so willing to share, especially if it meant keeping my job or not.

c.  New Orleans is all charter school (they have no public school system since Katrina.)  They are having a tremendous amount of trouble following the law in regards to access to mental health professionals, English as second language learners laws as well as staying on top of the extremely cumbersome process of accommodations for students with learning disabilities. NPR had a very interesting story about how public schools share funds to hire the necessary mental health professionals and other professionals needed to meet all of the requirements to help children with learning disabilities/mental health issues, but that the charter schools in New Orleans did not want to work together because they want their competition to fail so they can get more students.  Remember, students = $$$.

d.  Charter schools were meant to be a way to allow innovative teaching.  Let me say that this one is REALLY frustrating as a teacher.  We are told that we are not innovative which is why we need charters, BUT, I am not allowed to be innovative.  The state micromanages everything I teach down to the amount of days I am supposed to teach it.  I, as mentioned above, have an extremely high pass rate, but I have still had people from the district get on my case for following a different pace than I am supposed to.  I kind of get away with it (yearly ending up in a meeting with my boss and a district person explaining why I am doing it the way I am) because I have a good record, but new teachers do not have that privilege.  Remember that we are not allowed to get creative.  We are not even supposed to show documentaries or in some cases video clips.  This is all pushed down on us by a legislature that, being a super majority of Republicans, you would think would want LESS interference and micromanaging.

e.  Charter schools do not have to have certified teachers.  When I heard this I thought that this was just some bull,  I did however look into it and it is true.  They do not have to have the same level of certification that we in the public schools do.

f.  Remember that charter schools can kick kids out.  Public schools cannot.  Every year, after funding counts are made and money is distributed from the state, we, the public school, get a bunch of kids that have been kicked out of the charters (usually around the start of 2nd quarter.)  This of course means we don't have the funding attached to them yet still have to teach them, and are dealing with the kids the charters do not want.

g.  There is no transparency with charters.  My sister-in-law was teaching at one here in Jax.  She made 9,000 less than me and got no benefits.  The question I have is, where did the rest of the $$$ go?  It wasn't to facilities (the school was a dump) and she didn't have smaller classes.  No one knows what happens to the $$$ at these schools.  Shouldn't my tax dollars that are being given to the business that runs the school be traceable? A few years ago a local charter school (military academy one) closed it doors in March because it ran out of money.  They literally had a sign on the door that said we are no longer operating.  It was on the local news.  DCPS said we would take the kids, but their parents were freaking out because seniors who were scheduled to graduate in May, were being placed in 10th and 11th grade because they could not pass the tests that are required in public schools.  How did the school fail to finihs the year?  We will never know since they do not have to divulge their accounting at charter schools.

h.  And perhaps the kicker.  The state provides funds for charter schools to build and operate.  If they fail the business keeps the building that our tax dollars paid for.  Again, this was so ridiculous that when I heard it I thought it was a complete lie, but it is not.

Now, I know that public schools are not perfect, but it is hard for them to compete when the playing field is not level.  If charter schools were held to the same standards as public schools than it would be a different story, but as of now, they are not and it is frustrating to always hear how bad of a job my colleagues and I do, when we are following the guidelines of what the legislature wants, other than to work for free Wink

There is more I could write and I would be more than happy to talk about this with everyone in an adult way (which is to say, NOT like the majority of threads in the politics sections!) but I am taking my kids to go see Captain Underpants, so I can't add more right now!

A. There are always examples and counter examples. The survey done in Detroit showed that Charter Schools outperformed public schools even when students of the same ethnic or financial background were compared. The problem here is that Charter Schools are guaranteed finance as part of the government, and as such have no incentive to improve. All they need to do is outperform Government Schools, which is not exactly a high bar to jump over.

B. Teachers should not be in competition with each other. Furthermore, schools should face strong consequences for failure. Neither the school administrators nor the teachers face even mild consequences for poor performance.

C. D. F. X. These all point to government regulation as the problem. Were Public Schools allowed to make the choices that Charter Schools can, then there would be a lot better performance.

E. Certification is not a guarantee of ability. The whole concept of certification requirements to do a job is an anti-competitive force between government and (usually) big business. do taxi drivers need certification? Nail salon workers? University faculty do not take teaching classes, yet many are very good teachers.

G. H. Were the administrators or owners of schools to face real market forces rather than guarantees of government funding, there would be a major incentive to improve and innovate. Another example of how government screws up the private sector.

Let me add one thing. Back before the Federal government got involved in education and schools were funded locally, most schools gave a much higher level of education. There were a few really bad schools, but even the very worst schools were not as bad as those schools in the original link.

And from Jerry Pournelle:

Quote:[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]In 1983 Nobel Prize laureate Glenn T. Seaborg headed a national commission to evaluate our education system; it was mostly dedicated to the primary and secondary schools. The general consensus was that our higher education system was all right (that was explicitly said at a plenary session of the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science even as it deplored the primary and secondary schools). Dr. Seaborg’s conclusion was that the schools were awful; this in 1983. He blamed it on the system imposed by the Federal Government (aided by the Courts).

He said, “If a foreign government had imposed this system of education on the United States, we would rightfully consider it an act of war.”[/font]

It was bad even then. The US school system has gotten a lot worse since 1983.
(06-09-2017, 11:02 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Six schools in Baltimore (5 high schools, one middle school) had ZERO students proficient in math or English.

That is one of the saddest things I will read today.
(06-10-2017, 03:15 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]....

This is very well thought out and food for thought for many.  I would like to address and/or ask you questions regarding some of this in the future, but I don't have time right now and it sounds like you have better priorities.
It's not the public schools that are at fault. It's the students and their parents that bear most of the blame for failure. I'd bet that if you sent those same students to private schools, they'd fail there, too.
(06-11-2017, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]It's not the public schools that are at fault.  It's the students and their parents that bear most of the blame for failure.  I'd bet that if you sent those same students to private schools, they'd fail there, too.

It's a combination of the two. If government schools did not accommodate the students who are dragging down the system then the remaining students would all be much better off.
(06-09-2017, 11:02 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Six schools in Baltimore (5 high schools, one middle school) had ZERO students proficient in math or English.

Hey look here, those teachers weren't teaching to the test! Those students got a real education. Tongue

(06-10-2017, 11:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree overwhelmingly with this. The two worker household has done nothing but make us poorer in more than just money. Its funny that equality just meant lower pay for everyone so that one spouse can't afford to stay home for most people. Also the thing about families on thier phones in resturantes. That gets me too. I was at some hipster pizza joint the other day and well over half the people there were just looking at their phones, not paying attention to anyone across from them. Its crazy, and whats even worse is it isn't just 'young,' I see plenty of people who are 50+ doing it too. People are addicted to technology and 'social networks' that are anything but an actual network most of the time.

And yes, I know we are on a message board, but still this is totally different. We are engaging over common interests, not wasting time browsing nothing, and most of us are not spending all day on here. Its really sad when I see a group of people eating together, and none of them even look up from their phones at each other.

I also agree about problems coming around the corner. Too many people have let technology erode any skills they have. They have gotten so dependant on other overspecialized workers that they couldn't support themselves (like in the 'keep yourself alive without a grocery store for a month' kind of sense) even if they wanted too. If the great depression happened today, a lot more people would die, cause hardly anyone is growing their own food.

Caldrac got me way off topic now. This one is gonna be a 20 pager.

(06-10-2017, 03:15 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]....

I agree on the most part with what you have written. I think that education should not be run like a for profit business. Especially when I look at the College situation, I can't think of one for-profit school that is better than a State School. Its not true competition when the government is giving all the loans to just anyone, and the system won't innovate in that environment IMO. State funds should not goto schools. Thats the only way you will see real improvement.

True private schools in primary education (not charter) often do outperform Public. They have to, to justify their existence, and convince parents to send their kids there. Without that incentive (see for profit colleges that just have to meet the minimum accreditation guidelines) they would end up being equivalent to a lower level degree mill (University of Pheonix Charter School Duval, don't you want your kid to go there?). If a school couldn't survive without government funds, than it shouldn't exist.

I get it, that school is partly babysitting for the poor classes to help make more factory workers, but really it should be more than that.

So where do the kids from the west side of I-95 in NE Florida go to school when their's shut down?   Do all the kids currently living west of I-95 now have to cross over to go to the east side of I-95 for their education?

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/jac...le/schools

This is exceedingly ignorant for so many reasons.  School choice is a measure that would actually exacerbate the issues in the school system.  There are multiple solutions that would be far better.

You cannot introduce free enterprise into a closed and nearly communistic system.

This this this this this THIS THIS SO MUCH THIS.

Parents need to take some ownership here.  If they know the school isn't educating their child, they need to make their voices heard.  The problem is, many of the parents of the kids attending these failing schools probably attended these same schools themselves.  Either they don't know any better, or they simply don't care.

I have a relative who teaches in the DCPS.  She's a grade school teacher working with 1st and 2nd graders.  Some of the stories I've heard from her are downright depressing, but explain a lot about where we are as a society.  Many parents in the more impoverished areas of town (she teaches in one) don't take any ownership over their children's education, and expect the teachers to carry the load without any assistance from them.  They don't feed them, and they don't buy them any of their school supplies.   My relative regularly buys supplies for up to half her class because the parents just don't bother.

They send the kids to school with nothing.  DCPS has adopted a program to feed the kids when they get to school, so my relative has to take the time that used to be her planning period to play cafeteria lady for a classroom of kids.

She has been in conferences with parents where she's talking about how bright their child is and how the kid just needs some encouragement at home, and she's actually had parents tell her "That's your job, not mine."

School systems like Baltimore or even here in Jacksonville are more concerned with propping up the bloated bureaucracy and placating the teacher's unions than they are about educating children.
(06-12-2017, 03:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

So where do the kids from the west side of I-95 in NE Florida go to school when their's shut down?   Do all the kids currently living west of I-95 now have to cross over to go to the east side of I-95 for their education?

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/jac...le/schools

If parents care about getting the best possible education for their children, yes.  This already happens as magnates have been pulling away the more gifted students for a while now.  Where there's a will, there's a way.
(06-12-2017, 03:55 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]

Parents need to take some ownership here.  If they know the school isn't educating their child, they need to make their voices heard.  The problem is, many of the parents of the kids attending these failing schools probably attended these same schools themselves.  Either they don't know any better, or they simply don't care.

I have a relative who teaches in the DCPS.  She's a grade school teacher working with 1st and 2nd graders.  Some of the stories I've heard from her are downright depressing, but explain a lot about where we are as a society.  Many parents in the more impoverished areas of town (she teaches in one) don't take any ownership over their children's education, and expect the teachers to carry the load without any assistance from them.  They don't feed them, and they don't buy them any of their school supplies.   My relative regularly buys supplies for up to half her class because the parents just don't bother.

They send the kids to school with nothing.  DCPS has adopted a program to feed the kids when they get to school, so my relative has to take the time that used to be her planning period to play cafeteria lady for a classroom of kids.

She has been in conferences with parents where she's talking about how bright their child is and how the kid just needs some encouragement at home, and she's actually had parents tell her "That's your job, not mine."

School systems like Baltimore or even here in Jacksonville are more concerned with propping up the bloated bureaucracy and placating the teacher's unions than they are about educating children.
We have that problem up here as well. A retired fellow in my church (a former DEA agent at that) learned of the state of local kids and founded a program, the Matthew 25:40 School Program, in which he collects donations of breakfast and lunch foods (and more recently clothing) for high school kids. People, churches and businesses from around our county and surrounding counties donate specific food items and money for clothing (and we're talking basics like underclothes, socks and shoes. If they need shirts and pants or school uniforms those are bought as well) and he delivers them to the schools. He also sends backpacks of items with students with toiletries and such. The program also provides for students who have lost things due to fire, hurricane, or other means.  

The way he set it up is he went to the area schools and talked to teachers and administrators about the kids and found out who was in need and then they talked about the best way to go about helping them. It's a huge collaboration between 5 counties and all the high schools. The program is currently, as of yesterday, serving right at 2,000 students and the numbers increase by the month. Our schools here aren't the size of Duval county schools but the numbers are staggering for just high school students. 

His focus is on high school kids because there are many programs in place for elementary and middle school kids. In just one high school there were 33 kids listed as homeless or in transition (meaning they didn't have a permanent place to call home.) 

This is an excerpt from an article written last September in a paper in a nearby county....

"Both Rahal and Earley said the program is in the infancy stages, but a conference room filled with items such as Capri Suns, fruit cups, nutrient and protein bars, packs of Ramen noodles, Pop-Tarts and crackers from the two Food Lion stores in Rockingham can begin the process. The food and drink products are small, Rahal said, to allow them to place the items in student’s backpack discreetly to avoid embarrassment.

Counselors will begin the program by providing snacks on a daily basis, but can send home food daily as well as weekend bags on an as-needed basis. Rahal stops by weekly to personally check inventory or to replenish the supply when the school calls.

Earley used an example of a Raider football player who has lost 12 pounds since the season ended due to malnutrition as a way to show the program was needed. Expansion is next on the horizon."

It's a tragedy that kids live this way and it greatly affects learning ability. When you're hungry and/or homeless you're first thought is not always about studies. I've been without in my life and I can tell you, all I thought about was where my next meal was coming from. I know of a kid whose dad lives in a shed in someone's backyard and the little girl thinks it's normal. When her mom takes her over there to visit (and score some drugs from the main house) the girl goes back there and plays and acts like everything is normal. I have seen it with my own eyes. She is maybe 5 or 6 years old and that is considered normal in her mind. Think about that. Kids are being raised in conditions like this, and worse, and we wonder what is going wrong in our schools. And everyone thinks it's up to everyone else to do something about it. These days it's the "government's responsibility" to take care of this issue which is a whole other subject. Ordinary people take it upon themselves to do something. It doesn't solve the problem of irresponsible parenting or whatever, but at least kids are fed and clothed and have one less thing to worry about. 

Sorry about the tangent. I never raised kids and had no idea how bad it really was until he talked about this program and would tell us the numbers of kids in need and such. It's not just in big cities. It affects everything. People spitting out kids left and right without the ability or will to actually raise them have no idea the harm they do not just to the kids but to society as a whole. It would be nice if every disadvantaged kid could be a Ben Carson story, but that's not reality.
Pages: 1 2 3