Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sponsors flee New York City theater company over Trump-killing scene
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sponsors flee New York City theater company over Trump-killing scene

Delta Air Lines and Bank of America became the first companies to announce they are pulling their sponsorships of a Manhattan-based theater company’s portrayal of Julius Caesar as a Donald Trump look-alike in a business suit who gets stabbed to death on stage.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...scene.html
I know we have freedom of speech in this country and I don't have a problem with it for the most part, but when did it become okay to display the killing of the POTUS in any form? I don't care which party is in office, I find it in poor taste to display this sort of thing. Is there no respect for the Office anymore? Can people not separate their feelings for the person from the position of the highest Office in the land? I get being disgruntled and wanting to voice an opinion, I have been disgruntled with our choices for as long as I've been allowed to vote, but to do it with pictures and effigies of beheadings, hanging, shootings, etc., I find it unnecessary and in extremely poor taste. And really, that goes for any Office, but we're talking about the POTUS here. 

As far as those who may want to go off about treason or why people can get away with this stuff, here is the US Code that is used when convicting someone of threatening the POTUS, the VPOTUS, or others in succession to those positions.

US Code 871
(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful candidates for the offices of President and Vice President, respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 19 and 20.
Hit em where it hurts the most.. Don't give em your money.
(06-13-2017, 10:18 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Hit em where it hurts the most.. Don't give em your money.

I can think of other things that hurt more.  Getting kicked in the ....
Remember the uproar about Sarah Palin's PAC using cross hair graphics on their map of the U.S and subsequently being blamed for the shooting of Gabby Giffords? But this is okay.
(06-13-2017, 10:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Remember the uproar about Sarah Palin's PAC using cross hair graphics on their map of the U.S and subsequently being blamed for the shooting of Gabby Giffords? But this is okay.

Who says this is okay?
The real Marty
(06-13-2017, 10:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Remember the uproar about Sarah Palin's PAC using cross hair graphics on their map of the U.S and subsequently being blamed for the shooting of Gabby Giffords? But this is okay.

Who says this is okay?

NYT apparently.

On an aside tho, if sponsers keep doiing this stuff, it will clean up entertainment. I was thinking this will suppress expression, but at this point I am no longer sure that is bad.
(06-14-2017, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Who says this is okay?

The New York Times for starters. I read somewhere that it also received a standing O after the performance. But I understand, it's the "arts".