Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mike Kaye's extension opinions/surprise cuts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*ARTICLE HERE*

Man, I don't want to think about our defense without Telvin...
The Yeldon cut really shouldn't be listed as a "surprise". He was put on notice the moment the team signed Ivory last year and obviously with the selection of Fournette.

Linder being resigned isn't a surprise. I think he's the priority. Robinson I think they'll let him play out the year and tag him if needed. Telvin Smith gets resigned. Contrary to what he's saying in the article. It's not an easy position to replace.

And why let someone go that has his level of production on a young defense after being what? A former 4th or 5th RD pick? No. You get him resigned and you don't worry about going into free agency or the draft once again looking to refill a void with a 3rd year Myles Jack and with Paul Posluszny potentially gone.
I read that article yesterday and as usual Kaye makes perfect sense.

I don't agree with him this time, however.

I think they find a way to keep Yeldon in case of injury to those above him on the depth chart. Ivory and Fournette don't shy from contact and that begets injury.

Telvin is an unusual case. He's cut down on his tendency to over-run plays and he's better about getting caught playing the run-fake instead of the pass. Should he continue to improve on that and keep showing this new wrinkle of being a team leader, I think the Jags would be foolish not to offer a fair extension.
Why is my name wrong here?
(06-13-2017, 10:28 AM)static2141 Wrote: [ -> ]Why is my name wrong here?

I don't know. 
Try asking in the "board feedback" forum and one of the admins will likely help you out with that.  

https://duvalpride.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21
Telvin has to play with discipline this year or he's gone.
Telvin will be a Jag through his next contract. Mark it Dude.
(06-13-2017, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Telvin has to play with discipline this year or he's gone.

He didn't last year?
I could see a small percentage scenario where Bortles gets traded or released before week one. I don't know when it would happen and hear me out.. but if Blake Bortles truly struggles in through the pre-season or get's outplayed, I cannot assume he gets another chance to be the starter. Now, if Marrone and Caldwell feel like the have enough, they may opt to pull a JDR and cut Bortles despite picking up his option. I feel like Henne could manage a power run game, check down offense all season which would not result in many wins but offers a more conservative and safe offense while we tank it for Darnold/Rosen/Josh Allen

1. I would be very comfortable looking for a trading partner or straight release with the upcoming QB class
2. In another sense, this might allow Caldwell to have more time with the Front Office
3. I prefer dink & dunk w/ a power running clock control offense over watching Borltes give away games if the pick 6's continue
This team isn't "tanking" it this year. Coughlin will do what he believes is in the best interests of the team getting the maximum number of wins this year. It is possible that means Bortles does get benched if his turnovers continue. I honestly don't see Henne doing much since he has basically not thrown a pass in 3 seasons. Therefore, I would rather see Allen become the starter to see what he's got. He won't do any more damage than Bortles and, at the least, they will see if he can remain on the roster after this season.

I see no way the Jags end up getting the top 2 quarterbacks coming out- whomever they may be. They have too much talent on defense and have a weak schedule. Fortunately, the q.b. class should be about 5 deep (1st rounders) who would all be upgrades over the Bortles we saw last season. I really hope he becomes what Caldwell envisioned, but he just seems to lack the confidence and other intangibles required of an NFL starter.

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that the Jags finish the season at 8-8 and Bortles doesn't do enough to stay on the roster. The team will then draft the best q.b. on the board with a mid-1st round pick. The guy doesn't need to be the next Manning, just a smart game manager with a strong enough arm to make all the throws. Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen or the guy from Washington whose name escapes me would all be options.
(06-13-2017, 12:57 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: [ -> ]I could see a small percentage scenario where Bortles gets traded or released before week one. I don't know when it would happen and hear me out..  but if Blake Bortles truly struggles in through the pre-season or get's outplayed, I cannot assume he gets another chance to be the starter. Now, if Marrone and Caldwell feel like the have enough, they may opt to pull a JDR and cut Bortles despite picking up his option. I feel like Henne could manage a power run game, check down offense all season which would not result in many wins but offers a more conservative and safe offense while we tank it for Darnold/Rosen/Josh Allen

1. I would be very comfortable looking for a trading partner or straight release with the upcoming QB class
2. In another sense, this might allow Caldwell to have more time with the Front Office
3. I prefer dink & dunk w/ a power running clock control offense over watching Borltes give away games if the pick 6's continue

I honestly don't see the team releasing or even trading Bortles before the start of the season unless some upgrade magically lands in our lap.

If Bortles struggles, he'll still be given every opportunity to turn things around this year.
Khan used the words "win now."  

In his first game under Hackett/Marrone game-planning Bortles passed for 325 yds 1 TD and zero picks with 8.6 yds per pass and a 68% completion rate. 

You don't jettison that guy until you find out if that was a fluke or if he can perform anywhere near that range consistently. Especially if you've just bolstered your run game and you're outspokenly in "win now" mode.
(06-13-2017, 11:40 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2017, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Telvin has to play with discipline this year or he's gone.

He didn't last year?

No, he freelances way too much frequently putting him out of position.
Unfortunately I think Telvin will be let go and Blair Brown will takeover. I could see Brown being a stud tbh. Robinson and Linder will both be resigned.
(06-13-2017, 03:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Khan used the words "win now."  

In his first game under Hackett/Marrone game-planning Bortles passed for 325 yds 1 TD and zero picks with 8.6 yds per pass and a 68% completion rate. 

You don't jettison that guy until you find out if that was a fluke or if he can perform anywhere near that range consistently. Especially if you've just bolstered your run game and you're outspokenly in "win now" mode.

Exactly.  Most of the moves on the offensive side of the ball were done to help Bortles, so thinking he's suddenly going to be trade bait or that they'll release him is just silly.  They don't have an option B at QB this year.  He's got the season to either prove he's worthy of the position, or to fall on his face.  If the latter happens, they'll bench him and start planning for the 2018 draft.
Dave comes from the Polian school which says don't pay linebackers. Hopefully he was sick that day of class though.
Would it be easy to replace Telvin's leadership? I don't think so. Dave let Daryl Smith walk, but hopefully he keeps Telvin. Also, the salary cap keeps growing, so it seems like it's easier for teams to keep their good players.
I hope he learned his lesson on letting Daryl go.
(06-13-2017, 08:32 PM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]I hope he learned his lesson on letting Daryl go.

Smith and Marshall sorta