Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Youch! NFL.com harsh words for the jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

3) Gus Bradley's not the biggest problem for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While Jeff Fisher hovers around .500 on an annual basis, that's wishful thinking for Gus Bradley, who's now 14-44 in his three-plus years in Jacksonville. So, yes, to address the obvious: Bradley will soon be the ex-coach of the Jaguars, a 2-8 group that has miserably underachieved after an offseason full of hype and hope.

But don't think for a second that a coaching change will cure all of the ills in Jacksonville. This franchise has a deeper issue that might not be so easy to fix -- a problem at the most important position in the game today.

Blake Bortles is terrible at football. His mechanics are out of whack -- like his confidence level. Every week, he makes mind-numbing decisions and serves up awful-looking picks. His passer rating (80.0) and yards per attempt (6.3) are both down from last season's figures (88.2, 7.3), while his interceptions (an NFL-high 13) are up.

So here's the big-picture question that must be considered: Who would be brave enough to hitch his wagon to Bortles? Which coaching candidate, while getting a talented overall roster put together by widely respected general manager Dave Caldwell, would take a chance on the underwhelming, underachieving Bortles? Josh McDaniels won't do it. Neither will David Shaw. Tom Coughlin? Mike Shanahan? Which up-and-coming coordinator would jump at this opportunity?

Bortles, who was the No. 3 overall pick just three years ago, makes a bad situation in Jacksonville worse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ful-truths

I agree

So they're saying everything that most on here have been saying
Any coach would because they can draft their own guy. It's not like Blake is making a lot of money. This isn't 2006. With the new CBA you can draft another guy in round 1 at QB and be fine.

Edit: I'm assuming Caldwell gets the boot too.
Ooof.

Analysts/announcers, "journalists", ex-QBs, and fans from everywhere that have watched the Jags are REALLY beating up on Bortles now.

Deservedly so.

But, this is not good.

Best thing to do might be to bench him the rest of the season (season is lost anyway), and declare his struggles were due to an injury that most didn't know about (even if it is legit, or not).

If he keeps going out there and mucking it up, it may be too much to recover from.
It's simple. Any prospective coach should be given the power to bench Bortles, (if he so chooses) and go with another QB, whether through free agency, or the draft, or Henne or Allen.
Any prospective coach would know that he has a talented overall roster (that article itself said so), AND massive cap room, AND a very patient owner.   Bortles is in year 3 of his rookie deal, so it's not like a new coach would be hitched to him forever.   It's not like he has 5 years to go on a 6 year, $110 million deal.   There's no huge commitment to the guy, and there's no crippling cap hit that would come from moving on from him.  

Really this roster is in pretty good shape talent-wise, and very good shape cap-wise.   I don't see why this wouldn't be a very attractive situation for a prospective new head coach. 
Khan running a embarassing franchise.
I wonder what this current team could do with a 2007 David Garrard type QB.  We probably would be 8-2 instead of 2-8 with just an above average Qb.

Rex Ryan knocks it out of the park

[Image: mjbvoh.png]
Quote:I wonder what this current team could do with a 2007 David Garrard type QB.  We probably would be 8-2 instead of 2-8 with just an above average Qb.

And that should tell you that this is not a dire situation at all.  
Sad ...
Quote:3) Gus Bradley's not the biggest problem for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

<div> 
While Jeff Fisher hovers around .500 on an annual basis, that's wishful thinking for Gus Bradley, who's now 14-44 in his three-plus years in Jacksonville. So, yes, to address the obvious: Bradley will soon be the ex-coach of the Jaguars, a 2-8 group that has miserably underachieved after an offseason full of hype and hope.

But don't think for a second that a coaching change will cure all of the ills in Jacksonville. This franchise has a deeper issue that might not be so easy to fix -- a problem at the most important position in the game today.

Blake Bortles is terrible at football. His mechanics are out of whack -- like his confidence level. Every week, he makes mind-numbing decisions and serves up awful-looking picks. His passer rating (80.0) and yards per attempt (6.3) are both down from last season's figures (88.2, 7.3), while his interceptions (an NFL-high 13) are up.

So here's the big-picture question that must be considered: Who would be brave enough to hitch his wagon to Bortles? Which coaching candidate, while getting a talented overall roster put together by widely respected general manager Dave Caldwell, would take a chance on the underwhelming, underachieving Bortles? Josh McDaniels won't do it. Neither will David Shaw. Tom Coughlin? Mike Shanahan? Which up-and-coming coordinator would jump at this opportunity?

Bortles, who was the No. 3 overall pick just three years ago, makes a bad situation in Jacksonville worse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ful-truths

I agree

</div>

I read that earlier.  The thing is, it's hard to disagree with it.

I for one like Bortles, but after watching his play closely yesterday... it isn't good.  Is some of that coaching?  Perhaps.  However, he's in the "big boy" league now.
Quote:Khan running a embarassing franchise.
Depends on how you look at it.  From a fanbse standpoint it has been a total disaster.  Eventually people will get tired of throwing good money for a crap product but we are not there yet.  From a financial standpoint he has flawless.  I think he has tripled the value of the franchise and making money hand over fist.  He's the boss so we are stuck with whatever decisions he makes.  I hope he can find a good head coach and a better GM this offseason.
Quote:And that should tell you that this is not a dire situation at all.  
 The QB by far is the most important position on the field. From the Gm perspective you not only threw another top 5 pick away but you missed on your guy.  GM's and QBs are normally joined at the hip.  Can you really trust him to go out there and spend another top 5 pick when he has already missed on 2 possibly 3 out of 4?

I have to agree. I think if Caldwell does stay (which with all of these changes, may say otherwise), both the HC (coaching staff included) and QB are going bye-bye. Even with cutting Bortles (maybe trading him to SF for a 6th rounder..........) we should still have plenty of cap space. I'm not sure who we'd get to replace him, but the incoming HC would most likely want to bring in their choice of available. Idk though. I think we might be screwed for another rebuild try............

Even if we replaced Bortles with Allen, or a rookie, it's doubtful he would equal Bortles' total turnovers.

I'm over Bortles. Led the league in interceptions 2 years in a row. The windup is what killed him.
Bortles doesn't go from playing great one season to playing terrible the next without some reason. You can have a fluke game, you can't have a fluke season.

Bortles has arm issues and this dim-witted coach won't address it. Blake's arm is dead, he has shoulder problems, and that leads to confidence problems. He should be on the bench healing, but Gus is determined to get wins to save his job he's sacrificing Bortles in the process.

Regards.......................the Chiefjag

Quote:Bortles doesn't go from playing great one season to playing terrible the next without some reason. You can have a fluke game, you can't have a fluke season.

Bortles has arm issues and this dim-witted coach won't address it. Blake's arm is dead, he has shoulder problems, and that leads to confidence problems. He should be on the bench healing, but Gus is determined to get wins to save his job he's sacrificing Bortles in the process.

Regards.......................the Chiefjag
Agree, this is why Bortles should be benched for the rest of the season. Put Allen in as starter and see what he can do.  Bortles comes back next year and he competes for the starting job.  

But continuing to play him with the season lost is stupid.  
You know who else was kind of bad? Alex Smith.

Get the right coach and this team can make a turn around with Bortles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4