Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles was 2nd best in 2016 throwing slants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PFF recently announced the QBs with the best passer ratings for each WR route. On slant routes, Blake ranked #2 only behind Aaron Rodgers...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5]
That's pretty interesting. With them moving back to a running attack though and towards an emphasis on the ground game. I hope they can get back to him dropping back a bit more and take some deep shots off the play action.
(06-14-2017, 08:14 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]PFF recently announced the QBs with the best passer ratings for each WR route. On slant routes, Blake ranked #2 only behind Aaron Rodgers...

Which routes was Blake worst at?
(06-14-2017, 09:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 08:14 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]PFF recently announced the QBs with the best passer ratings for each WR route. On slant routes, Blake ranked #2 only behind Aaron Rodgers...

Which routes was Blake worst at?

They don't say, I'm guessing the fade.
(06-14-2017, 10:09 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 09:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Which routes was Blake worst at?

They don't say, I'm guessing the fade.

I's say the 5 and out aka the "this route results in a pick six half the time but we keep calling it".
IIRC Bortles had a slant route pass that the receiver took to the house last year. That probably skews the number a bit. 

Regardless - I'm not encouraged by any oddball stat line on Bortles.  
Not until he's protecting the ball and displaying at least decent mechanics in September. The kid has to show me he can hold his game together when it counts. 

BTW the route he sucked the most at wasn't the fade. He didn't throw any fades because he's not trusted to do it. 
It's the crossing route. The route that he threw three picks well behind his crossing receiver.
(06-14-2017, 10:46 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 10:09 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]They don't say, I'm guessing the fade.

I's say the 5 and out aka the "this route results in a pick six half the time but we keep calling it".

This.
When I think of the Jags and slant routes I can't help but to think of the Leftwich to Matt Jones or Reggie Williams combination. Seems like that was our "go to" play for such a long time on 3rd downs. Both actually ran pretty decent slant routes and held on to the ball as well.
(06-14-2017, 01:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]When I think of the Jags and slant routes I can't help but to think of the Leftwich to Matt Jones or Reggie Williams combination.  Seems like that was our "go to" play for such a long time on 3rd downs.  Both actually ran pretty decent slant routes and held on to the ball as well.

I remember Reggie ran on of those in Washington and got absolutely whacked but still held on for a TD. Popped right back up too, and danced of course.
I remember that also. I think his helmet came loose on that one.

I can't help but think of Garrard throwing a slant to Matt Jones.
(06-14-2017, 07:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember that also. I think his helmet came loose on that one.

I can't help but think of Garrard throwing a slant to Matt Jones.

That was David Garard route tree
(06-14-2017, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC Bortles had a slant route pass that the receiver took to the house last year. That probably skews the number a bit. 

Regardless - I'm not encouraged by any oddball stat line on Bortles.  
Not until he's protecting the ball and displaying at least decent mechanics in September. The kid has to show me he can hold his game together when it counts. 

BTW the route he sucked the most at wasn't the fade. He didn't throw any fades because he's not trusted to do it. 
It's the crossing route. The route that he threw three picks well behind his crossing receiver.

One detail here... he did hold it together, and display decent mechanics into September last year.  

It was after Green Bay that things fell apart, for the whole team for that matter.

His stats and overall performance stank, but as far as stats being skewed,  but you could also say that for every other QB in the league who had someone make a play.  In the same respect, he had the misfortune of having ARob have a slant that popped off his chest to the defender in the EZ.

Crazy year, that got into the team's head, and they didn't have a coach, or have it in themselves at that point, to turn anything around.
(06-14-2017, 05:03 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 01:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]When I think of the Jags and slant routes I can't help but to think of the Leftwich to Matt Jones or Reggie Williams combination.  Seems like that was our "go to" play for such a long time on 3rd downs.  Both actually ran pretty decent slant routes and held on to the ball as well.
Wilford too.  they sucked at a lot of things but the slant was not one of them.  Oddly enough Matt Jones best year was his last.
At the end of the day that is a pointless stat. With lack of wins. However I see where you might be getting with this. With a college like play action pass with Fournette or Ivory back there.
(06-18-2017, 01:06 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]At the end of the day that is a pointless stat.  With lack of wins.  However I see where you might be getting with this.  With a college like play action pass with Fournette or Ivory back there.

This. No one cares about moral victories anymore. If that is the upside we are screwed until next year.