Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coughlin Hires Son-In-Law as Scout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I actually have no reason to think Chris Snee won't be a good college scout. 
But I get a chuckle from the fact that he's a former BC Eagle and is married to TC's daughter with whom he has four children. 

Here's hooping it's more than just nepotism.
Coughlin surly knows Snee well enough to know what's best for him.
He played the game at a high level for a long time. No problem with the hire.
Coughlin has plenty of capital around here to make whatever hires he sees fit.
Lots of ex-players become pretty good scouts. Hopefully, he can help us pick some winners.
I oppose nepotism. If this guy is not cutting it, Coughlin will fire the father of his four grandkids?

Bowden earned a lot of cred at FSU, but his son being on staff was a terrible idea and ended up hurting the program badly.
He didn't name Snee Head of Scouting. It's a grunt role where he will earn his stripes and be held accountable. This is Coughlin we're talking about here.
Banging the boss' daughter
Snee will do a good job. He is smart and knows the game. It's a college scout position; he is not the GM.
(06-14-2017, 10:13 PM)TealHammer Wrote: [ -> ]I oppose nepotism.  If this guy is not cutting it, Coughlin will fire the father of his four grandkids?  

Bowden earned a lot of cred at FSU, but his son being on staff was a terrible idea and ended up hurting the program badly.

We're talking about a scout here.  The potential impact on the team is minimal other than the travel expenses he incurs to go look at talent.
In regard to the whole nepotism bit -- just in case you didn't read the article linked in my initial post:

Quote:Nepotism seems to be tolerated among NFL coaches and executives because so many teams have owners who hire family members. While there’s a fundamental difference between the owner of a business ensuring that it stays within the family in lieu of selling the asset and the employees of that same business keeping things in the family (and I say that as someone who owns a media company that eventually may stay within the family), a “when in Rome” vibe has developed over the decades, expanding for the purposes of NFL teams the “it’s not what you know but who you know” cliché to “who you’re related to.”

The article also stated that Snee will help during camp with the O-Line.  Considering the evaluation going on at guard -- that's very likely a good thing.  One more set of knowledgable eyes chiming in on coaching and choosing the guards.
(06-14-2017, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I actually have no reason to think Chris Snee won't be a good college scout. 
But I get a chuckle from the fact that he's a former BC Eagle and is married to TC's daughter with whom he has four children. 

I actually laughed along with most of the media when Coughlin "reached" for his son-in-law by drafting him early n the 2nd round.

.... a few years later ..... I'm looking at the accomplishments below and a thought came to my mind .... maybe TC knows more than I do 
(06-15-2017, 09:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]In regard to the whole nepotism bit -- just in case you didn't read the article linked in my initial post:

Quote:Nepotism seems to be tolerated among NFL coaches and executives because so many teams have owners who hire family members. While there’s a fundamental difference between the owner of a business ensuring that it stays within the family in lieu of selling the asset and the employees of that same business keeping things in the family (and I say that as someone who owns a media company that eventually may stay within the family), a “when in Rome” vibe has developed over the decades, expanding for the purposes of NFL teams the “it’s not what you know but who you know” cliché to “who you’re related to.”

The article also stated that Snee will help during camp with the O-Line.  Considering the evaluation going on at guard -- that's very likely a good thing.  One more set of knowledgable eyes chiming in on coaching and choosing the guards.

So he'll be doing double duty, collecting peanuts for a pay check.  Good.  It sounds like he wants to get into coaching or the front office.  Nothing wrong with that.
(06-15-2017, 09:41 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2017, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I actually have no reason to think Chris Snee won't be a good college scout. 

I actually laughed along with most of the media when Coughlin "reached" for his son-in-law by drafting him early n the 2nd round.

.... a few years later ..... I'm looking at the accomplishments below and a thought came to my mind .... maybe TC knows more than I do 

Plus it isnt like he is the OL coach. He is a Scout that probably spends quite a bit of time with TC. I am sure he knows what to look for in a Lineman.

I can see Thankgiving at the TC house. ok kids, Dinner is over, time to go into OTA's while dad and gramps go into the film room to review your last work out. And Thats Sir Gramps to all of you. Mama Coughlin dear, could you put the masking tape with their numbers on their helmets so i can tell them apart when reviewing footage.
(06-15-2017, 07:10 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]Banging the boss' daughter

She's a good looking girl, but if she has her dad's voice would that would be a bonus or reduction?

Huh
I like this hire. Chris is a smart guy and he was a very good OL. Regardless of the relation to Coughlin I'm glad to have Chris on board.
Plus he has a lot less durability issues than the other former Jag offensive lineman who's parading around town.
Actually, I see the master plan here. Coughlin is thinking, these Sunday dinners with the family are time away from work. Coughlin hates taking time away from work.

So now, Sunday dinner with the family will include one of his scouts. Now he can work right through Sunday dinner.

Problem solved.

All kidding aside, I see a benefit from him having direct contact with a lower level employee, who can tell him a lot about what is really going on in the scouting department, from the standpoint of a lower level employee. Even if it's just a Sunday dinner conversation.
(06-16-2017, 08:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]All kidding aside, I see a benefit from him having direct contact with a lower level employee, who can tell him a lot about what is really going on in the scouting department, from the standpoint of a lower level employee.  Even if it's just a Sunday dinner conversation.

In other words, TC has eyes everywhere.
You'd be surprised how many FO people are connected one way or another. Nepotism is rampant in the industry. I used to work at a Sports Management firm run by a former NFL team VP who hired his daughter who only had her GED to be an executive at our firm. She did a good job but was not as qualified as me as an intern.

Snee is respected enough in the community that he was going to end up in some sort of football role
Pages: 1 2