Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The end of the "Otto" and "Leo"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good article on the death of the "Otto/leo" positions and what the new responsibilities of the SAM/DE are now. Plus some other Day 3 takeaways. 

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/mb/sports/.../449402918
Hooray....

"He can play some man-to-man coverage on some tight ends that we like," Wash said of Posluszny. "It was a situation where we can get him out of those deeper route concepts that we have seen and he can be a leader, a little bit more in the underneath type stuff that we have had. It’s a good move for Paul."

I'm sure it drove him crazy last year to have the MLB burned on deep coverage.
Domo arigato, Leo and Otto.
Domo, Domo
Poz just don't need to be covering any WRs from San Diego.
(06-17-2017, 04:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Poz just don't need to be covering any WRs.

Edited
'Bout time they got that [BLEEP] outta here.
We are not Seattle and are Jacksonville that is right.
I doubt many people are upset about this.
(06-18-2017, 01:12 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]We are not Seattle and are Jacksonville that is right.

Then explain this Starbucks coffee!
[Image: e6x7ao.gif][Image: mbs761.jpg]
Another failure of Gus we don't have to shake our heads at anymore. I'm starting to like Marrone more and more.
(06-19-2017, 01:00 PM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2017, 01:12 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]We are not Seattle and are Jacksonville that is right.

Then explain this Starbucks coffee!

Starbucks is the alternative to Dunkin.  And has made non coffee drinkers feel important.  There is nothing premium about star bucks than the price.
If people use the words "otto," "leo," and "edge" I instantly lose respect for them and their "take."
(06-23-2017, 01:36 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]If people use the words "otto," "leo," and "edge" I instantly lose respect for them and their "take."

I get your point, and I'm glad Wash let that stuff go/adjusted his scheme away from so much of the Bradley influence. 

However  - the "edge" term while annoying in large doses - can be helpful when used properly. 

i.e. that specific subset of guys in each draft class that scouts are trying to project as OLBs in a 3-4 or weak-side DE's in a 4-3. 
It helps differentiate them (for those that haven't seen them play)  from the guys that are purely one position or the other - or strong side DEs - or OLBs in a 4-3. 

Sometimes when looking through lists of OLB prospects or DE prospects that term can help readily identify the pass rushers from the other guys lumped in with them.
Linebackers and D-ends....
has a nice ring to it...

more teams should follow in calling their positions these...

(06-23-2017, 01:36 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]If people use the words "otto," "leo," and "edge" I instantly lose respect for them and their "take."

'edge'

A way to combine 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs and all the tweeners in between....
I dislike it less than the Otto, Leo, Elephant, and whatever else has been tossed around.

I would only consider a player an 'edge' rusher as a scheme proof pass rusher (JJ Watt ish).... or a DPR position only.
Meaningless terms to make it seem like Gus knew wth he was talking about
(06-17-2017, 04:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Poz just don't need to be covering any WRs from San Diego.

As has been noted before, Poz was not actually covering that guy.   We were playing zone, and the WR from SD ran through Poz's zone, so Poz followed him, but when the WR turned up field, the guy in the next zone had apparently decided to play man, and had been pulled out of his zone by another WR, so Poz, noticing this, chased the guy up field.  But no way was that a designed defense.   Poz just wound up chasing the guy because he noticed the coverage which was supposed to pick the guy up was gone.

It wasn't the design of the defense that caused that play, it was the execution, and one guy deciding to play man when everyone else was playing zone.
(06-30-2017, 11:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2017, 04:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Poz just don't need to be covering any WRs from San Diego.

As has been noted before, Poz was not actually covering that guy.   We were playing zone, and the WR from SD ran through Poz's zone, so Poz followed him, but when the WR turned up field, the guy in the next zone had apparently decided to play man, and had been pulled out of his zone by another WR, so Poz, noticing this, chased the guy up field.  But no way was that a designed defense.   Poz just wound up chasing the guy because he noticed the coverage which was supposed to pick the guy up was gone.

It wasn't the design of the defense that caused that play, it was the execution, and one guy deciding to play man when everyone else was playing zone.
 The bolts' OC had Bradley's coverages figured out long before that game kicked off. He and Rivers exploited them with ease. 

This is the reason Wash has been so vocal about changes in the secondary's coverage schemes moving forward.
(06-30-2017, 11:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ] The bolts' OC had Bradley's coverages figured out long before that game kicked off. He and Rivers exploited them with ease. 

This is the reason Wash has been so vocal about changes in the secondary's coverage schemes moving forward.

Yup. Ramsey even noted how we played the exact same defense week in and week out. 1st down ran X, 2nd ran Y, etc.