Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Anyone see the T-U's projected 53 roster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll post the link here. Forgive me if this is a paid site - I do have a subscription, so I don't know if it will work for others.

There are several picks I disagree with.

At FB, They have Bohann(sp), a guy who hasn't played for a year, making the team over the recently drafted Williams.

They have Pullard not making the team at LB.

They have Sample get cut.

They have Doran at CB getting cut.

At RB, they show only Yeldon, Ivory, making the team as backups to Fournette. They cut Charles Grant.
I think with Ivory's contract, he could be a surprise cut. Grant is a guy that will linger on and off the team all season.
(06-18-2017, 04:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I think with Ivory's contract, he could be a surprise cut. Grant is a guy that will linger on and off the team all season.

We'd save less than 2 mil on the cap this season, and would be down to just Yeldon and Fournette as guys that can conceivably carry the load for an entire game. It may happen, but it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him this year. Bring in another mid/late round rookie or value FA next year then let him go.
2 mill is not much savings but Grant would offer more speed at the RB position. Ivory is a pounder and we will have that in Fournette. Yeldon is safe bc he gives you a solid 3rd down back.

One thing is for sure, our RB spot is finally stable.
(06-18-2017, 04:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I think with Ivory's contract, he could be a surprise cut. Grant is a guy that will linger on and off the team all season.

I agree with this, and have been predicting him as a potential surprise cut for a couple of weeks.  I'd been kicking around an idea for a thread for surprise cuts/surprise keepers/surprise starters.

Possible surprise cuts:

Ivory-If he gets cut, it's due to his contract and the fumbles.  If he stays it's because TC likes power backs.

Lewis-If he gets cut, his play has declined.  If he stays, it's due to veteran presence.

Parnell-If the team decides Cam Robinson should play RT, I don't think Parnell could move inside.

I have one "surprise" starter for the moment, and that's kind of a stretch to call him a surprise...but Williams, the FB out of Miami, could easily beat out Bohanon and end up being a very popular player here, especially of the running game with Fournette gets into high gear.

My one surprise "keeper" would be Amba Etta-Tawo over Benn, though based upon what I've heard, Benn has performed well.
Two guys who in my mind are absolutely making the roster are Corey Grant and Arellious Benn. Mark it down.

As for the last WR spot, I'm still not just handing it to Bryan Walters, and I agree that the UDFA WRs are intriguing. Amba was such a college tallent, but I think he's going to the PS because he's just so raw. But you have Kenneth Walker with his deep speed, and than a very intriguing flaker with Keelan Cole who showed up in the recent minicamp. 
(06-18-2017, 07:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Two guys who in my mind are absolutely making the roster are Corey Grant and Arellious Benn. Mark it down.

As for the last WR spot, I'm still not just handing it to Bryan Walters,
and I agree that the UDFA WRs are intriguing. Amba was such a college tallent, but I think he's going to the PS because he's just so raw. But you have Kenneth Walker with his deep speed, and than a very intriguing flaker with Keelan Cole who showed up in the recent minicamp. 

Walters is a free agent and was released weeks ago w/ an injury settlement after being IR'd.
(06-18-2017, 07:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Two guys who in my mind are absolutely making the roster are Corey Grant and Arellious Benn. Mark it down.

As for the last WR spot, I'm still not just handing it to Bryan Walters, and I agree that the UDFA WRs are intriguing. Amba was such a college tallent, but I think he's going to the PS because he's just so raw. But you have Kenneth Walker with his deep speed, and than a very intriguing flaker with Keelan Cole who showed up in the recent minicamp. 

I would hope you wouldn't hand it to Walters... since he was waived on 5/31 with an injury settlement. I've heard good things about Benn, though. I'd like to see him stick around.
(06-18-2017, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

As for the last WR spot, I'm still not just handing it to Bryan Walters,
and I agree that the UDFA WRs are intriguing. Amba was such a college tallent, but I think he's going to the PS because he's just so raw. But you have Kenneth Walker with his deep speed, and than a very intriguing flaker with Keelan Cole who showed up in the recent minicamp. 

Walters is a free agent and was released weeks ago w/ an injury settlement after being IR'd.

Err... forgot all about that.

(06-18-2017, 07:32 PM)MinistryMan2007 Wrote: [ -> ]

I would hope you wouldn't hand it to Walters... since he was waived on 5/31 with an injury settlement. I've heard good things about Benn, though. I'd like to see him stick around.

Benn has been balling in underwear practices, but what's exciting about Benn is that pads won't slow him down as he's just about the most physical WR I've seen.

The same goes for Grant as far as balling in underwear. I know you want to prove him out in pads and RBs get sort of a free ride in the OTAs, but the exciting part has been his pass catching.

Forgive my Walters gaffe. I should have at least looked at the roster.
I hope Grant makes the team. Speed is hard to teach. Plus he's shown he can run for over 100 yards. Like he did against Indy.
Ivory costs more to cut than to keep.
Benn will be kept because he is an excellent special teams player. If Amba plays well in the pre-season, he could be kept ahead of Greene. Wide receiver and secondary will be very competitive positions in the pre-season- at least for roster spots. If Williams does well in pre-season he will make the team ahead of Bohannon, but it's good to have a veteran option in case the rookie isn't ready.
My way too early prediction is that they keep the top four RBs AND they keep a FB.

I think they do this by reducing the number by one at OL and stashing some guys like Gennesy and Kasitati on the PS in case they need to promote them to the 53 due to injury along the line.

As of now, WRs Benn and Greene still seem safe to me with Etta-Tawo making the PS. Greene's performance in pre-season will likely be "make or break" for him though.

(I'm crossing my fingers that Allen does enough in the preseason to make the F.O. comfortable enough to part ways with Henne and free up another roster spot as well. But I doubt it happens.)

Here's the link to O'Hallorans prediction referenced in the OP:
http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...man-roster

The Jacksonville.com / Florida Times-Union site is a subscription site but I'm pretty sure they still allow unsubscribed visitios to view 5 articles per month free of charge.
(06-18-2017, 04:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]My one surprise "keeper" would be Amba Etta-Tawo over Benn, though based upon what I've heard, Benn has performed well.

Amba Etta-Tawo was another player that really stood out at the OTA's....he was catching everything in sight and ran really precise routes....especially in the red-zone drills.
So...

1. ARob
2. Hurns
3. Lee
4. Dede
5. Benn
6. Amba

Keep in mind, tho, nobody has really seen the speedster Kenneth Walker as he's been out due to his school's graduation. I'm itching to see if he's as fast as reported.
I think Walker finds a way on this roster. Kid can play.
(06-19-2017, 01:18 PM)Crush Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2017, 04:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]My one surprise "keeper" would be Amba Etta-Tawo over Benn, though based upon what I've heard, Benn has performed well.

Amba Etta-Tawo was another player that really stood out at the OTA's....he was catching everything in sight and ran really precise routes....especially in the red-zone drills.

I listed him as a surprise make over Benn, not so much as a knock on Benn.

I really like what Benn has to offer, but here's the operative phrase:  "when he's healthy."

I hope all of his bad luck with injuries are behind him.  But should anything happen, Etta Tawo has experience with McCardell.  He knows what Keenan is looking for.
Training camp is where the real battles began. Underwear practices mean little.
Exactly. Can they take a hit by nfl players and still hold onto the ball?