Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Focus Problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We've gone back and forth over the myriad reasons for failure for the Bradley era Jaguars. We've discussed a lack of talent. We've discussed injuries. We've blamed Bradley as well.

But this article from PFT gives me pause.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...will-come/

Now, this article is also within the context of Marrone's post game speech in the win over Tennessee, where he talks about playing well and the crowd will respond.

The players are human beings, and it's silly to think off field stuff can't possibly concern them. But did a lack of focus adversely impact this team's performance? If so, to what degree?

What prompted this particular talk from Keenan?

If focus was a problem, was it just for the WRs or was it team wide?

If the players were not focused, whose fault is that? Is learning proper focus part of the maturation process every player/person must undergo? Is it just a matter of good players in bad situations tuning out over time? Is it a mandate of coaches to identify this and refocus the player?
Well... It was easy to see the focus was not there. And Robinson play dropped after the wrong Allen got an extension.

Ya could also see the other. Hurns start to ease back and drop the ball at key times. The issue with all that. Is lack of info on both to study from. And now that teams do. They did not fight as hard as figured out more.

Add in lack of running game. Not due to just the line.. as some would love to say. Rather due to predictability. Jaguars 02 mentioned a ton of slant passes. Why did that happen?

Mainly due to d coordinators having enough film to see both Allen's weaknesses. And create more pressure. To stop the running game before it got going. The only time it did. Was when used designed plays that allowed a few yards to get going.

Add in to the fact our TE was absent. And it is easy to see why only won 3 games. Though Blake is great out of the pocket. People forget Olsen was bent on Blake staying inside the pocket. Which ya could see the difference easily Tenn game 1 vs Tenn game 2.

Also the team lost focus. Because despite all the great records in 2015. Still did not lead to more wins. And was totally fed up and quit on Bradley. After Khan said make a statement.

The sad thing is Gus had the fire to be a hard nosed HC. "see do your job video."

And instead chose to be player friendly. And once ya go in one direction and change that. No longer have faith in your vision. And the players no longer care to preform for you. Because football is 90% mental.

And the players were to young and not disciplined . To worry about making bonuses. Just my opinion.
(06-18-2017, 05:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]If focus was a problem, was it just for the WRs or was it team wide?

I don't think it was something in particular that prompted Keenan to bring it up, just that he said it among all everything else and it happened to be reported by the media. If any position group had a no nonsense coach over the Gus Bradley era, it would have been the wide receivers with Jerry Sullivan. I have to imagine Sullivan had said similar lines to the WR corps since it's hardly groundbreaking.

I'd argue focus wasn't something that the team lacked over the last few years, it was the lack of urgency to win. I think Gus Bradley's style worked well over the first year of his tenure since the roster was made up of youngsters and rejects, but it didn't begin to tighten the reins on the team and shift the focus from getting better to actually producing wins until it was far too late. Becoming a disciplinarian seemed way out of Bradley's character and would be seen inauthentic by that point.

I'd also argue that the players lashing out at fans wasn't specific to Bradley or his style of coaching, it's specific to failure. If Marrone fails to turn the team around, I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit to see our players publicly show their frustration.
Going out on a limb slightly here, I know several players and I think even Coughlin himself have talked about players being at their best when their in a zone. We saw this from Garrard in his lone great season when he was just taking names. This probably isn't even what he was talking about, but extreme focus would lead to being in a zone, so just maye that's part of it.
Just sounds like a coach that went through a hold-out as a player wisely advising his young receivers not to let their contract situations become a distraction. 

I don't see any correlation to prior regimes or 2016 performances at all in Keenan's comments.  He's just giving them some sage advice about contract extensions IMO.
Unless Focus also means discipline in this case then I don't think it was a lack of Focus so much as a lack of discipline at all levels of the team, from the least important players not feeling like they needed to push themselves to challenge those ahead of them, to the coaching staff not feeling like they needed to come up with game plans to counter their own ridiculously obvious tendencies, the team lacked accountability for anything, and that leads to the kind of continuously boneheaded play that was the trademark of the Jaguars under Bradley.

Also, I think the ultimate example of this was the continued large paycheck going to Henne, apparently just to be Bortles good buddy, an absolutely insane thing for a football team to do.

Everything about the team over the last 4 seasons was being done in the most backward way possible, and several years of some very talented players careers were thrown in the trash because of it.
(06-18-2017, 06:21 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Well... It was easy to see the focus was not there.  And Robinson play dropped after the wrong Allen got an extension.

You're forgetting the difference between a 2nd round pick and an UDFA.  Hurns was going into last season on the last year of his deal.  Robinson had two years left on his deal last offseason.  You dont extend that and good thing too.  Bortles was a problem last year, but robinson's frustration with that showed up on the field at times and displayed a certain degree of unprofessionalism on his part.  The good part about the 5th year option being picked up on Blake is we do get another year to evaluate Robinson and/or Lee.
Ping pong, beach bars and 31 flavors ain't cutting' it any more.
(06-18-2017, 09:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Ping pong, beach bars and 31 flavors ain't cutting' it any more.

Good one. 10/10 would read again.
Focus ain't the problem.
(06-19-2017, 08:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Focus ain't the problem.

What is the problem according to you my good man? If you say Blake then you're blindsided because he's not the only issue on this team
(06-19-2017, 05:08 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2017, 08:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Focus ain't the problem.

What is the problem according to you my good man? If you say Blake then you're blindsided because he's not the only issue on this team

Well, we certainly are aware of what you stay focused on. 

No need to go stirring that particular pot.  Bortles is not the "focus" of this thread.
(06-19-2017, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2017, 05:08 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the problem according to you my good man? If you say Blake then you're blindsided because he's not the only issue on this team

Well, we certainly are aware of what you stay focused on. 

No need to go stirring that particular pot.  Bortles is not the "focus" of this thread.

Are you talking to me or Jagsfanatic24
(06-19-2017, 08:57 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2017, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we certainly are aware of what you stay focused on. 

Are you talking to me or Jagsfanatic24

I'm talking to you. I know how much you support Bortles and I'm not mad at you for being that way, but there's no need to inject him into this topic by attempting to put words in another poster's mouth. 

You can protect his name to your heart's content when he's actually the topic of discussion.
(06-19-2017, 09:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2017, 08:57 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking to me or Jagsfanatic24

I'm talking to you. I know how much you support Bortles and I'm not mad at you for being that way, but there's no need to inject him into this topic by attempting to put words in another poster's mouth. 

You can protect his name to your heart's content when he's actually the topic of discussion.

See maybe you getting a little sensitive because I wasn't trying to inject Blake into the conversation. Unlike you and others I don't go out my way to bash him because he didn't live up to my expectations last year. If you mad because I support him then get over it because I support the team overall and he just part of it.
[Image: afdbd550d72241d1e11700d947691c3c.gif]
(06-20-2017, 05:59 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2017, 09:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm talking to you. I know how much you support Bortles and I'm not mad at you for being that way, but there's no need to inject him into this topic by attempting to put words in another poster's mouth. 

See maybe you getting a little sensitive because I wasn't trying to inject Blake into the conversation. Unlike you and others I don't go out my way to bash him because he didn't live up to my expectations last year. If you mad because I support him then get over it because I support the team overall and he just part of it.

But you literally did inject him into the conversation. And I clearly stated I wasn't mad at you.  Settle down.

On topic: 

I really don't think "focus" was a major issue last season.  Discipline was a much greater issue. 

The article cited in the OP was simply about Keenan telling A-Rob and Marqise to remain "focused" on their play on the field, and not their contract negotiations.