Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars claim OL Demetrius Rhaney off waivers from Rams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hat Tip to Ryan O:

The Jaguars claimed offensive lineman Demetrius Rhaney off waivers from the Los Angeles Rams on Wednesday and released rookie center Parker Collins.

On the current 90-man roster, Rhaney, who turns 25 on Thursday, is the fifth offensive lineman added since the start of the off-season.
Rhaney (6-foot-2 and 301 pounds) played at Tennessee State and was a seventh-round pick by the Rams in 2014. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve (knee) and appeared all 32 games the last two years, but started only one game – at left guard in 2015.

The Jaguars exited the off-season program with A.J. Cann projected as the left guard, but multiple options at right guard, including Tyler Shatley, Patrick Omameh and Earl Watford. Rhaney is another interior lineman added to the mix.
It's built.
Competition for depth at the center position (and LG)  in my estimation.  

Here' his NFL.com draft profile from 2014:

Quote:STRENGTHS
 Very good quickness, agility and balance. Gets into blocks quickly and keeps battling through the whistle (see fourth play of second quarter vs. Bethune when loses helmet). Runs his feet on contact. Good lower-body power. Can wall off and seal short areas. Efficient working up a level. Solid anchor in pass protection.
WEAKNESSES
 Average arm length and overall athletic ability. Could do a better job gauging his power on the move and connecting with moving targets.
DRAFT PROJECTION
 Rounds 5-6
BOTTOM LINE
 A compactly built, light-footed pivot who elevated his draft standing after clocking sub-5.0 40 times at his pro-day workout. Has the size, power and agility to eventually compete for a starting job.-Nolan Nawrocki

4.96 forty  --  9 foot broad jump  -- 7.59 three cone drill
I curious as to why he was waived if he is a good player. Does anyone have any insight on my curiosity?

NH3...
(06-22-2017, 03:24 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]I curious as to why he was waived if he is a good player. Does anyone have any insight on my curiosity?

NH3...

He blew out his knee in his rookie year and ended up not being as good as those who drafted him thought he'd be when he got healthy.

He'd likely just compete to make the roster as a back-up in Jax.
Who?
Rhaney was active the Rams' backup C for the past two seasons although he's only had to start one game.

Whether or not Linder starts at Center, there is definitely a roster spot for another Center. The competition between Shatley, Bowanko and Rhaney could get heated.
OMG! The Jags are adding depth and competition for every spot when the opportunity presents itself. Let's not over analyze this and just say; so glad to have TC back in the fold.
(06-22-2017, 03:24 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]I curious as to why he was waived if he is a good player. Does anyone have any insight on my curiosity?

NH3...

With the recent change in head coaching and the fact that he wasn't a starter they're probably mixing things up this year. It's not like the Rams really have it altogether there in L.A themselves. That team hasn't had a winning record since 2003.
(06-23-2017, 06:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]

NH3...

With the recent change in head coaching and the fact that he wasn't a starter they're probably mixing things up this year. It's not like the Rams really have it altogether there in L.A themselves. That team hasn't had a winning record since 2003.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of.    I think sometimes, a new head coach or GM comes in and they start churning the roster because that's what they were hired to do.