Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/can...ghter.html

Banana
A shot like that is unbelievable.
Travelling that distance, Steve Reichart said it was probably the best "hey guys, watch this" moment.
Don't [BLEEP] with that guy, eh?
I didnt know an acorn would fly that far.
Like the article says, huge props to the spotter. That is the person who does a multitude of calculations to account for a wide variety of factors over that 2.2 mile ride the bullet took. I take nothing away from the sniper. That was a hell of a job. However, calculating as many factors as the spotter had to do during that shot is quite impressive. More impressive than the shot itself, IMO.
(06-23-2017, 01:28 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]Like the article says, huge props to the spotter. That is the person who does a multitude of calculations to account for a wide variety of factors over that 2.2 mile ride the bullet took. I take nothing away from the sniper. That was a hell of a job. However, calculating as many factors as the spotter had to do during that shot is quite impressive. More impressive than the shot itself, IMO.

absolutely unreal shot.  Spotter and sniper both are incredible.  I can't imagine trying to calculate wind, elevation, and the time it takes for the bullet to travel that distance and stay on target.
Imagine the reaction of the target's companions as he slumped over, dead. No sound, just instant death from...nowhere.
I read it took the bullet 10 seconds to reach the target. Insane.
So the target just sat in place for 10 seconds until the bullet hit? I guess maybe sitting at a desk or something?
Or sitting/standing at a station. Manning a stationary weapon?

Lots of math involved there. Heck of a spotter.
Or drooling over his next goatwife..
(06-27-2017, 09:31 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]So the target just sat in place for 10 seconds until the bullet hit?  I guess maybe sitting at a desk or something?

Yep, he was the ISIS accounts payable employee.
(06-26-2017, 04:48 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]I read it took the bullet 10 seconds to reach the target.  Insane.

If the shooter had put the bullet into an envelope and mailed it to the guy it probably would have gotten there faster.

What an unreal shot.
(06-26-2017, 04:48 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]I read it took the bullet 10 seconds to reach the target.  Insane.
(06-27-2017, 09:31 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]So the target just sat in place for 10 seconds until the bullet hit?  I guess maybe sitting at a desk or something?

I doubt that it took 10 seconds to reach the target, but consider this.

If you were on I-95 at Baymeadows Rd facing North, the target was right around JTB.  If you were traveling on I-95 north from Baymeadows in you car going the "speed limit" (70 mph) it would take you several seconds (up to a minute) to travel that distance.  A bullet obviously travels at a much higher rate of speed, is much lighter weight and could be affected by wind speed, wind direction, etc. not to mention the elevation.  It's possible that it took "several seconds" to reach the target, but I'm guessing that the time was less than 10 seconds.

I'm an avid shooter of guns including rifles.  There is no way that I would be able to see a target that small and at that distance let alone have a chance of hitting it.  What this sniper pulled off is incredible.
More like a little more than 4 seconds up to 5 depending on how fast it loses velocity.

Muzzle Velocity (F.P.S.): 2,815
11,316 feet
4.02 seconds.
(06-25-2017, 07:38 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine the reaction of the target's companions as he slumped over, dead. No sound, just instant death from...nowhere.

The target more then likely damn near exploded, not just slumped over. The forces at play with that round and weapon are tremendous. The carnage would have been extreme.
Fun fact... At that distance you have to factor in the rotation of the Earth.