Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2 More Of the Big Insurance Companies Drop the ACA.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
United Health Care and Aetna announced that they are pulling out of a majority of the ACA. This follows suit of many of the others who have already done so.

It's hard to see where healthcare is coming, but we all know the current direction is down.

It will be no easy fix for anyone. I hope the new bill will be better than the mess we're in right now.
There is no new bill, the Senate and House versions are both DOA.
(06-22-2017, 05:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]There is no new bill, the Senate and House versions are both DOA.

And Trump was supposed to be the world's greatest deal maker.   "On day 1" we were supposed to repeal and replace the ACA. 

Seriously, though, my understanding of the new plan is that it shrinks Medicaid, cuts the Obamacare-related taxes, and ends the mandate.   That seems like a straight-up repeal to me.   So let's get on with it.   They complain, complain, complain, and promise, promise, promise, and they can't manage to get anything done, in spite of having both houses of Congress and the "world's greatest deal maker" in the White House.  

Sometimes I think they'd rather fail so they can still complain about Obamacare.
I wonder if it's just going to be United Health Care and Aetna themselves, or if it will include all of their subsidiaries as well...They both own a a bunch of health care companies...

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/.../dex21.htm

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/...1exv21.htm
UHC, Aetna, Coventry, Wellcare, WellMed, and Humana could all be a part of this move.

(06-23-2017, 10:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2017, 05:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]There is no new bill, the Senate and House versions are both DOA.

And Trump was supposed to be the world's greatest deal maker.   "On day 1" we were supposed to repeal and replace the ACA. 

Seriously, though, my understanding of the new plan is that it shrinks Medicaid, cuts the Obamacare-related taxes, and ends the mandate.   That seems like a straight-up repeal to me.   So let's get on with it.   They complain, complain, complain, and promise, promise, promise, and they can't manage to get anything done, in spite of having both houses of Congress and the "world's greatest deal maker" in the White House.  

Sometimes I think they'd rather fail so they can still complain about Obamacare.

Those are 3 issues, but there's thousands of pages of the ACA they either want to keep or are to far down the implementation path to stop. The new problem is MACRA and the shift to value based reimbursement, a bain to providers and a boon to the insurance companies.

It shrinks Medicaid ... starting in 2025. Like that will ever happen.

Cutting taxes and ending the mandate only make the problems with the ACA worse. It increases the debt and discourages people from buying insurance until they need it. To prevent that the pre-existing conditions mandate needed to be eliminated at the same time, but it's not in this bill.

Maybe when the remaining insurance companies stop selling policies on the exchange the public might notice that Obamacare has failed, and politicians will actually fix things. But I doubt it.
(06-23-2017, 03:55 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 10:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]And Trump was supposed to be the world's greatest deal maker.   "On day 1" we were supposed to repeal and replace the ACA. 

Cutting taxes and ending the mandate only make the problems with the ACA worse. It increases the debt and discourages people from buying insurance until they need it. To prevent that the pre-existing conditions mandate needed to be eliminated at the same time, but it's not in this bill.

Maybe when the remaining insurance companies stop selling policies on the exchange the public might notice that Obamacare has failed, and politicians will actually fix things. But I doubt it.

Then we get Medicare For All, just like they planned.
The government has no business mandating universal healthcare or forcing people to have insurance. Period. They can't even balance a budget. Hell, they can't agree what color the sky is.
(06-24-2017, 04:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]The government has no business mandating universal healthcare or forcing people to have insurance. Period. They can't even balance a budget. Hell, they can't agree what color the sky is.

Do you feel that strongly about mandatory car insurance?
(06-24-2017, 05:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2017, 04:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]The government has no business mandating universal healthcare or forcing people to have insurance. Period. They can't even balance a budget. Hell, they can't agree what color the sky is.

Do you feel that strongly about mandatory car insurance?

Car accidents happen all the time and often include an unwilling participant.

Being sick or injured only includes the person who chose not to get insurance.
(06-24-2017, 09:23 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2017, 05:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Do you feel that strongly about mandatory car insurance?

Car accidents happen all the time and often include an unwilling participant.

Being sick or injured only includes the person who chose not to get insurance.

You know that PIP is for yourself, yes?
Car insurance isnt mandatory. If I choose to not own a car I don't have to have the insurance.

Unless I missed something here, the effort to repeal and replace the ACA hasn't ended.  You do understand what the process takes to negotiate, right?  Solutions to something as complex as this aren't generated overnight. Especially when you're negotiating with a bunch of spineless politicians more concerned about reelection than actually fixing this thing.
(06-25-2017, 08:12 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Car insurance isnt mandatory. If I choose to not own a car I don't have to have the insurance.

Well, if you can choose to not get a critical illness or injury then I'll support your right to not buy health insurance.

Either that or I want off the hook for your bill when you do and can't pay.
They pull out of the marketplace but have no problem with being the 'handlers' for huge juicy medicaid contracts. The problem with the ACA is the huge amount of bloat it has. You cannot get a plan, for instance, without birth control or without primary care visits. I suppose the free market solution will be for the so called concierge care with emergency coverage. But in reality, that just creates even more maldistribution.

Right now we, thankfully only see two tiers when it comes to outpatient care, but one has to believe it will come to inpatient as well eventually. Theres no free lunch, you can keep writting mandates that 'providers' must show their quality thru ever increasing paperwork bloat with decreasing reembursment, but eventually they will opt out. Many offices already have 'caps' on the amount of hmo/medicaid pts they will see (if they see them). It will look like everyone takes the insurence when no one does.
Personally, I think every Senator should have to review the proposed Bill and submit their proposed revisions. That way the people in each state knows exactly where their Senator stands on various portions of the Bill and both the Republicans and Democrats can work toward a compromise, even if its weighted toward the Republicans viewpoint since they comprise of the majority.

.... ok, i'll quit dreaming now and get back to the reality of politics in the US Sad
(06-25-2017, 10:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2017, 08:12 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Car insurance isnt mandatory. If I choose to not own a car I don't have to have the insurance.

Well, if you can choose to not get a critical illness or injury then I'll support your right to not buy health insurance.

That's fine but you can't make the comparison of car insurance in support of mandatory health insurance. 

You want off the hook for other people's medical exoenses then eliminate insurance as it's used today period. The problem is not a lack of or excess of insurance it's an inflated marketplace without any price control due to third party supplementation. 

If you want mandated health insurance then single payer is the only way to do it with set price controls.
(06-30-2017, 05:44 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2017, 10:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you can choose to not get a critical illness or injury then I'll support your right to not buy health insurance.

That's fine but you can't make the comparison of car insurance in support of mandatory health insurance. 

You want off the hook for other people's medical exoenses then eliminate insurance as it's used today period. The problem is not a lack of or excess of insurance it's an inflated marketplace without any price control due to third party supplementation. 

If you want mandated health insurance then single payer is the only way to do it with set price controls.

Absolutely you can. You are going to get sick so you must provide financial protection for that occurrence, if you do not then, like driving without insurance, you face steeper penalties until you do or you go to jail. There, it's done.

Now, having said that, I firmly believe in a robust individual marketplace and a public option alternative. If you want Blue Cross you go to the Blue Cross store and buy a policy. If you don't want private insurance then you sign up and pay for Medicare at a means tested rate. What must happen is to decouple the payment for insurance from employment, that's the third party financing that has to go.
(06-23-2017, 03:55 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2017, 10:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]And Trump was supposed to be the world's greatest deal maker.   "On day 1" we were supposed to repeal and replace the ACA. 

I totally agree that without the mandate, if insurance companies are forced to take people with pre-existing conditions, no one has to buy health insurance until they need it, and that will bankrupt the insurance companies.
The "single payer" nonsense always makes me chuckle.

That's what the VA is, and proves it simply doesn't work.

The only "single payer" is the patient.  You and only you are responsible for your finances and insurance, making your own decisions, and paying for your care.