Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mychal Rivera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a real good feeling about Mychal. He started 10 games in 2014 but was held back a bit the past two seasons in more of a reserve role. My gut feeling especially after watching him in a few interviews is that he's itching to break out.

Here are some highlights from his 2014 season...

I remember drafting him in fantasy as a late round sleeper based off his 2014 campaign then being disappointed because of how much they tried to force everything to Crabtree in 2015. Idk why Carr doesn't like his TE that much
As much as I was a fan of JTs potential, Rivera should easily be able to at least match the production we got from him, and manages to stay on the field too.

I think he's going to be a really nice, under the radar signing
Can he block? Otherwise we got no use for him.
He's basically the new Clay Harbor with slightly better hands.

He may turn out to be a good target for Bortles, but it's hard to have a grasp on what Hackett has cooked up for the TE position in his scheme. There's just no telling right now how they'll be used and how often they'll be part of the passing game plan.
(06-25-2017, 04:09 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a real good feeling about Mychal. He started 10 games in 2014 but was held back a bit the past two seasons in more of a reserve role. My gut feeling especially after watching him in a few interviews is that he's itching to break out.

Thanks for sharing the video highlights. He did make some impressive catches and seems to have plenty of speed and athleticism. I think it was a solid pick-up and it wouldn't surprise me if he is targeted often when they get to the red zone. I was disappointed that they didn't draft a tight end since the position was so deep this year, but this may have been a better option. They didn't have to spend a fortune on Rivera and were able to draft guys like Robinson, Smoot, Westbrook and Brown in rounds 2-5. I expect all 4 of those guys to make solid contributions right away.
(06-25-2017, 11:25 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2017, 04:09 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a real good feeling about Mychal. He started 10 games in 2014 but was held back a bit the past two seasons in more of a reserve role. My gut feeling especially after watching him in a few interviews is that he's itching to break out.

Thanks for sharing the video highlights. He did make some impressive catches and seems to have plenty of speed and athleticism. I think it was a solid pick-up and it wouldn't surprise me if he is targeted often when they get to the red zone. I was disappointed that they didn't draft a tight end since the position was so deep this year, but this may have been a better option. They didn't have to spend a fortune on Rivera and were able to draft guys like Robinson, Smoot, Westbrook and Brown in rounds 2-5. I expect all 4 of those guys to make solid contributions right away.

How free agency ought to be handled, moderate contracts for positions of moderate value that could end up a surprise bonus.
(06-25-2017, 10:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Can he block? Otherwise we got no use for him.

Yeah, he can block too. Rivera is the full package.
(06-25-2017, 10:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Can he block? Otherwise we got no use for him.

I don't think his job will be to block a whole lot. We still have Lewis for that.

Rivera will be what we wanted in Julius Thomas. A Receiver first, but somebody who is willing to block when asked. I don't believe Rivera will be asked to block much, but as long as he shows he's willing to put his nose in there when asked, he'll be fine.

Thomas on the other hand, wasn't willing to block at all. The guy was literally scared to have any kind of contact with anybody.
(06-26-2017, 12:38 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think his job will be to block a whole lot. We still have Lewis for that.

Rivera will be what we wanted in Julius Thomas. A Receiver first, but somebody who is willing to block when asked. I don't believe Rivera will be asked to block much, but as long as he shows he's willing to put his nose in there when asked, he'll be fine.

Thomas on the other hand, wasn't willing to block at all. The guy was literally scared to have any kind of contact with anybody.

The bold part reminds me of Deji Karim and Matt Jones.
(06-26-2017, 02:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2017, 12:38 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think his job will be to block a whole lot. We still have Lewis for that.

The bold part reminds me of Deji Karim and Matt Jones.

Deji Karim, man that is a name I haven't heard in quite awhile.
(06-26-2017, 03:08 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2017, 02:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]The bold part reminds me of Deji Karim and Matt Jones.

Deji Karim, man that is a name I haven't heard in quite awhile.

Deji was the only guy I've ever seen move to avoid blocking a blitzer. He feared contact like a germaphobe fears bugs.
Yea well.... Matt Jones. Dropped the ball at sound of footsteps.
The next Pete Mitchell.
(06-25-2017, 01:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]How free agency ought to be handled, moderate contracts for positions of moderate value that could end up a surprise bonus.

Thank you Gene Smith  ... definitely don't want to go out and get any playmakers when you can stay $63m under the cap