Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Will Cause Some Eyes to Roll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
But this makes me wonder.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-t...-football/

The headline in the article states the Falcons are making a run at the Cowboys' video board, but the article clearly states the Cowboys now have the 3rd largest video boards in the league.  Since Jacksonville introduced our video boards, they have been the largest in the league.

Why not say Atlanta gunned for Jacksonville's boards?

Is Dallas' video board somehow "cooler" than Jacksonville's, despite being smaller?  If so, how/why?
(06-25-2017, 05:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]But this makes me wonder.

The headline in the article states the Falcons are making a run at the Cowboys' video board, but the article clearly states the Cowboys now have the 3rd largest video boards in the league.  Since Jacksonville introduced our video boards, they have been the largest in the league.

Is Dallas' video board somehow "cooler" than Jacksonville's, despite being smaller?  If so, how/why?

Probably because of the Cowboys cachet.

Sure the Jaguars have a great stadium and Jacksonville is a place people want to live, but the NFL and its media people as a group still generally want to make it the butt of their jokes, not the big dog on the block everyone's gunning for.
(06-25-2017, 05:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Probably because of the Cowboys cachet.

Sure the Jaguars have a great stadium and Jacksonville is a place people want to live, but the NFL and its media people as a group still generally want to make it the butt of their jokes, not the big dog on the block everyone's gunning for.
That's exactly the point.
Have you been to a game out there? Dallas actually plays the game on the full screen and the replay. It's sitting right on top of the field. It is freakishly useful and world class. The Jags use 1/3 of the screen.

As far as usefulness, coolness and the screen to beat, it's Cowboys >>>> Jags.
(06-25-2017, 06:03 PM)TealHammer Wrote: [ -> ]Have you been to a game out there?  Dallas actually plays the game on the full screen and the replay. It's sitting right on top of the field. It is freakishly useful and world class. The Jags use 1/3 of the screen.

As far as usefulness, coolness and the screen to beat, it's Cowboys >>>> Jags.

Agree..I have been there twice and the Cowboys boards are unmatched.. You could be in the highest nosebleed and the boards looks like you are watching an 80" High def TV in your living room..

It's not the size, but where the Dallas video board is positioned.
Pfffft. Cowgirls scoreboard can suck it. Khan's creations are the shiznit. To compare the two is like a Yugo To A Benz !!. Everything cowgirls can SUCK IT.
Someone may have to check this, but I'm thinking the Cowboys screen is taller... it just not as wide as all three.  ...but like someone said the Jaguars really use it in thirds.

[Image: Cowboys-Stadium_big_screen.jpg]
That's frickin sweet
The Jags SHOULD use the whole screen to show live plays and replays.

The Jags SHOULD buy special cameras to do this that allow super HD of screen and a view of the game you couldn't see anywhere else.

The Jags instead turn the technological wonder into a ho hum game day experience by using 1/3rd of the dang screen. Very frustrating.
Wow. I know that Jaguar fans look for any possible way to whine and complain, but using 1/3 of the screen vs. the entire thing? This is impacting your game day experience?

I sit in the NEZ, and the screens / resolution are perfectly fine for viewing replays or even live action. Much better than what we had originally.

BTW, Atlanta's video screens in the new stadium will actually be the largest video displays in the world, bigger than EverBank. Unfortunately, since we're Jacksonville, there's no swagger in topping the size of our boards. The displays in Dallas are "iconic", and they're associated with the Cowboys, so that's where Atlanta gets the best opportunity at bragging rights.
I didn't realize using a 3rd of the screen on some plays were a huge complaint.

I think on replays, it's actually a good thing, because they show plays from three different angles, and also show the coaches' reactions to the replays.

Without actually measured it first, I think the middle portion where they show the main replay is bigger than the old boards.

The capability of using the entire screen to show a play is there. I know because they use the whoe screen to show some images during pre-game.

Sitting in the nosebleeds, I have no problem with my view of the scoreboards, even though they sit to either side from me. In fact, I catch myself looking at the boards instead of directly looking at the field.

It sounds to me, you aren't knocking the boards' size or capabilities, but the way the boards are being utilized.
We may have the largest board in the league. but as has already been pointed out, only about 1/3 of it is actually used for replay purposes. 2/3 of the board is really just 'billboard' type advertisements.
...whoopee.

Who cares about the stupid billboard itself anyway? I'm still waiting to see a winning Jaguars team put winning scores up there... then I'll be 'excited' about the 'billboard/scoreboard/billboard.'
(06-26-2017, 08:09 AM)StitchJones Wrote: [ -> ]1.  We may have the largest board in the league. but as has already been pointed out, only about 1/3 of it is actually used for replay purposes. 2/3 of the board is really just 'billboard' type advertisements.
...whoopee.

2.  Who cares about the stupid billboard itself anyway? I'm still waiting to see a winning Jaguars team put winning scores up there... then I'll be 'excited' about the 'billboard/scoreboard/billboard.'

1.  I'm glad you mentioned this.  If dividing the board into thirds for all practical purposes raises the team's revenue and stabilizes the team here, I will gladly "endure" the thirds.

2.  Of COURSE we all desperately want to see a winning team here.
I don't see fans actually complaining about the board utilization. It's just a matter of whether or not fans have the right to really claim "biggest board" and all (Atlanta being even bigger makes this nearly irrelevant anyways) just because the total square area of all three boards works out to a little more than the Cowboys board.  The Cowboys actually use their entire board so at least the replays they show are much bigger. Again, it's not a complaint... it's just giving due credit where it's due.
Because nobody's hit our video boards with a punt.........

.... from what I've seen, I'd think these fans are more concerned about the adequate supplies of their concession food rather than their video boards.

[Image: 25449155-mjs_lambeau_sez_bowl_2011_08_23.jpg]
(06-26-2017, 12:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see fans actually complaining about the board utilization. It's just a matter of whether or not fans have the right to really claim "biggest board" and all (Atlanta being even bigger makes this nearly irrelevant anyways) just because the total square area of all three boards works out to a little more than the Cowboys board.  The Cowboys actually use their entire board so at least the replays they show are much bigger. Again, it's not a complaint... it's just giving due credit where it's due.

It is a single video board regardless of how the screen is rendered.  It's software that utilizes the space on the board.  They do run full screen video during the pregame and games.  As someone has already pointed out, this gives the team another revenue stream to work with as the outer ends of the display are used to promote advertisers and keep the score of the game, down and distance, etc..
The Jags version of a 65" TV

[Image: tv-cabinet-befor.jpg]
(06-26-2017, 03:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags version of a 65" TV

[Image: tv-cabinet-befor.jpg]

Does that make this the sound system?

[Image: il_fullxfull.260380045.jpg]
Pages: 1 2