Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Network Adaptor Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question for you tech types- the Comcast technician who changed our TV and internet service here at the condo complex in St. Augustine last week said that a network adaptor for around $35-40 would make the internet run even faster. He did mention Linksys and Netgear as brands to consider.

So, I went to Best Buy on line to learn more and, of course, my eyes started to glaze over.

Are these devices worth it? How do they work?

It looks like my internet connection runs "download speeds up to 25 Mbps".
Depends on the quality of your connection to Comcast and the modem you have now. No modem is gonna fix crap service on the provider's side.
(07-03-2017, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Question for you tech types- the Comcast technician who changed our TV and internet service here at the condo complex in St. Augustine last week said that a network adaptor for around $35-40 would make the internet run even faster. He did mention Linksys and Netgear as brands to consider.

So, I went to Best Buy on line to learn more and, of course, my eyes started to glaze over.

Are these devices worth it? How do they work?

It looks like my internet connection runs "download speeds up to 25 Mbps".

It all depends on your computer and the capabilities as well as your physical setup.  

If you're running a regular desktop machine that plugs directly into the Comcast modem, then yes a network adapter would probably improve things.  If the technician recommended a different adapter, then most likely your computer has a 10/100 network adapter if it's a bit older.  What you want to look for is a 10/100/1000 adapter.

Keep in mind, if your using wireless (wifi) your speeds are going to be limited by the hardware that you're using.
Just picked one up on amazon for about $12. PCI Express slot, easy peasy.
[Image: 2017-05-25_0200.png]
I have a 8-9 year old Dell laptop using Wi-Fi. So far, it seems to be running at an acceptable speed as I don't use it for much more than the usual lightweight stuff like email and being abused on message boards. I was wondering what an adaptor would do for me.
(07-03-2017, 08:33 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 8-9 year old Dell laptop using Wi-Fi. So far, it seems to be running at an acceptable speed as I don't use it for much more than the usual lightweight stuff like email and being abused on message boards. I was wondering what an adaptor would do for me.

It would vastly expand your dating opportunities and allow access to those controversial bathrooms.
(07-04-2017, 01:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2017, 08:33 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 8-9 year old Dell laptop using Wi-Fi. So far, it seems to be running at an acceptable speed as I don't use it for much more than the usual lightweight stuff like email and being abused on message boards. I was wondering what an adaptor would do for me.

It would vastly expand your dating opportunities and allow access to those controversial bathrooms.
Seems like a win-win. I do go to the bathroom a lot.