Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Adam Rank likes the Jags and DUUUUVVVAALLLL!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...le-jaguars

Quote:I was cruising around Radio City Music Hall (I miss the draft being there because it was awesome) and some striking Jaguars fan had his phone out and asked, "Hey, Rank. Can you yell Duuuuuuuvalll?"

And of course I did, not knowing if it was going to be some sort of incendiary thing or whatnot, which is how I roll. Then I did finally ask him what it meant. Turns out, Jacksonville is in Duval County, Florida, and the fans yell "Duuuuuvalll!" whenever something good happens for the Jaguars, which I think is kind of bad - [BLEEP]. I mean, it's much better than SKOL. Lame. (I'm kidding, Vikings fans. That's cool, too.) So Duval is rad and I had never known about it previously, which seems crazy. No, which makes sense because I don't believe I had ever met a Jaguars fan previously in my life. (Wait, that's not true! One of my former bosses, Justin Hathaway, was a Jaguars season ticket holder, but apparently he had been holding out on me.)

Quote:We always like to talk about teams that check the boxes, and the Jaguars certainly do that. Good fans with a great atmosphere? You know it. Lovely. The stadium is pretty rad with a pool, too. (And I don't know why people bash the pool because the only problems are the ones that face all public pools.) The city is great. TPC Sawgrass is in Jacksonville if you want to make a huge weekend of it.

And then you have the team. Loaded with talent. The defense looks really good. The offense has some great pieces. The quarterback situation can be exasperating, but you have to take the good with the bad. If you're looking for a team with a cool scene and a team that could make a run at the division title ... then the Jaguars would be a pretty damn good choice. 
I so want this to be our break out year. Alas, I've been burned too many times. Wait and see.
Bortles. If he shines..ya never know.
(07-04-2017, 10:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I so want this to be our break out year. Alas, I've been burned too many times. Wait and see.

[Image: 9pv1ns.jpg]
I'll give it til the 2nd quarter of our first game when the communal fan base demands bortles be benched...not endorsing this idea either
Duuuvvvaaalllll.
Even if we don't break out this year, next year is certainly it. I know this has been the running joke around here... but its true. Everything has been put in place where the QB is the only real ? mark. If Bortles is close to 2015 play-wise, this is a 10 win team and will win the division. If he plays like last year, I would think 6 wins or less would be the outcome.. Then we draft our QB of the future and this coming draft is deep at QB.
(07-04-2017, 07:52 PM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote: [ -> ]I'll give it til the 2nd quarter of our first game when the communal fan base demands bortles be benched...not endorsing this idea either

Debbie Downer
(07-04-2017, 07:52 PM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote: [ -> ]I'll give it til the 2nd quarter of our first game when the communal fan base demands bortles be benched...not endorsing this idea either

I doubt you'll ever see all that many fans clamoring for Bortles to be benched as long as Henne is backing him up.
Welcome to Duval, prepare to be hit.
So thankful that he praised our fan base. It's the only segment of the Jaguars that has been consistently strong over the last seven years. Putting 60,000 fans in a stadium to watch what has thus far been a train wreck. The fans have been outstanding.
The fans deserve some recognition for the continued dedication to supporting this team despite the absolute crap we've been subjected to over the past several years.

I did find it entertaining how much he liked the Duval chant. You know, the chant that J-Dub said nobody outside of Jacksonville would have a clue about? It's something unique to the Jaguars, and something they should continue to promote. We may be a small fan base in comparison to bigger markets, but we are mighty nonetheless. It's only a matter of time before anyone who is a football fan will understand what the Duval chant is all about.

Regarding the rest of his article, I think he's spot on. As just about anyone with a functional football IQ has been saying, everything lands on Bortles shoulders. The team will go as far as he can take them. I think the fact that the team has made every effort to keep a lid on a more comprehensive analysis of where he's at in his progression is brilliant. It keeps people guessing, and hopefully, it's being done to allow Bortles to continue to improve without the distractions and hype that come from too much positive feedback. He needs to be hungry this year.
As someone who grew up in Orange Park, I'm hoping we can work Clay County in there somehow.

I would say our fan base is as large as the Titans or Bucs fan base.
(07-05-2017, 02:07 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who grew up in Orange Park, I'm hoping we can work Clay County in there somehow.

Gotta rep that BAKER! lol
How about this: Clay-yay-yay-yay!
(07-05-2017, 02:07 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who grew up in Orange Park, I'm hoping we can work Clay County in there somehow.

I don't know who has the bigger fan base, but the Titans get to feed off several surrounding states. The Jaguars are sort of cramped into their little corner of NE Florida and SE Georgia. 
NE Florida, and they share Orlando, Daytona, and the Space Coast. Those latter three combined have more people than Jacksonville - or Nashville.

One of the (many) reasons I'm hoping Bortles succeeds with the Jags is that he'll bring a lot of fans from Orlando with him.

By the way.....Clay-yay..yay!
I liked the thoughts contained in the article, but man, is that guy an actual writer? And is there nobody there to proofread?

But, I did like it - also the Rosenthal piece that he linked.